Droid repeats iPod mistake about music gaps

Sam

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
as an audiophile, this drives me up the wall.. i completely understand your frustration.

mike770

Reaction score
I also hate the gap that is present. I would like to carry one device. However, I just cannot get past this issue. It just takes me out of the experience.

For the time being I will just use my ipod for my music and hope that this issue gets rectified.

BTW: I know that there are larger problems in this world that this "gap" and it really isn't a big deal. It just would be nice if this was fixed.

Big Cam

Reaction score
Seems like a trivial thing to complain about being as it is a phone first. jsut my .02 cents. With programs like pandora, there's a gap anyway, and I know tons of us are using our phones for stuff like that.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I can see how the gap may annoy some people, but it by no means rules out the Droid as a replacement for a portable music player. It's just a pause between tracks... it can't ruin the music created :)

Royal2000H

Reaction score
I definitely agree. I have a lot of music that should not have gaps. Being used to the lack of gaps, I repeatedly get surprised every time there's a gap when there's not supposed to be.

MixZing,

Can you please support gapless playback for MixZing?
Some albums are split up to, for example, 12 tracks, but they are meant to be played as one continuous song. Currently there is a small gap in music while MixZing (and the default Android 2.0 player) change tracks.
Hi Roy,
We're not sure if it's possible to support this without having support from the hardware, but we do have it on our list to research. Hopefully we can find a way to do it.
--
Peter Jeffe
MixZing

I don't see how this could be a hardware issue....but we'll see.

OP
M

MrBob

Reaction score
Responding to comments

A few comments on previous responses.

The issue is not just a pause between tracks (which might be annoying if you wanted a smooth DJ experience). The problem is how the playback device handles music ripped from CDs where there are logical track marks inserted into a continuous stream of music. These are provided as convenient access points on the CDs, but you don't hear a pause or any interruption. Classical music is the most likely to have these silent access points, but any sort of extended music selection might have them.

When you hear breaks in music that is supposed to be continuous, it does degrade the listening experience. It sounds like an inexplicable dropout.

The issue is not about ripping CD. It's about listening to music ripped from your CD collection.

It's a good question, whether the flaw is in hardware or software. In the early iPods, I was told that it was a hardware problem. But at this stage of technology, I would think it's a software issue.

Pandora is not a relevant comparison because it uses a radio format, with short selections.

I'm glad that I'm not the only one who finds this flaw to be annoying.

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
A few comments on previous responses.

The issue is not just a pause between tracks (which might be annoying if you wanted a smooth DJ experience). The problem is how the playback device handles music ripped from CDs where there are logical track marks inserted into a continuous stream of music. These are provided as convenient access points on the CDs, but you don't hear a pause or any interruption. Classical music is the most likely to have these silent access points, but any sort of extended music selection might have them.

When you hear breaks in music that is supposed to be continuous, it does degrade the listening experience. It sounds like an inexplicable dropout.

The issue is not about ripping CD. It's about listening to music ripped from your CD collection.

It's a good question, whether the flaw is in hardware or software. In the early iPods, I was told that it was a hardware problem. But at this stage of technology, I would think it's a software issue.

Pandora is not a relevant comparison because it uses a radio format, with short selections.

I'm glad that I'm not the only one who finds this flaw to be annoying.

So does this rip occur no matter what music program you use, or just with the stock music app?

dos

Reaction score
I noticed this the first time the other day working out and listening to Pearl Jam live at Lollapalooza. It was kind of annoying, I hope it is just a software issue that can be corrected later.

2amReply

Reaction score
I really need this. I am also disappointed and hope this can be remedied with a free fix.

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
It's called "Gapless".
Apple didn't support it for years until the public outcry was overwhelming them.
Microsoft also implemented gapless on the Zune after public outcry.
Sansa is hearing about it now:
Gapless playback? - Sansa Fuze - Welcome to SanDisk's Sansa Community

I understand why people want it. It should certainly be on every music player released today... and on phones that purport to replace your music player.
However it continues to AMAZE ME... STUN ME.... BLOWS ME AWAY.... how this is SUCH a deal breaker with some people.
There was actually a guy that claims his Sansa Fuze is UNUSABLE because of this.
Come on now. Let's not get carried away. To the guy that said he will have to carry his iPod now. How much gapless music do you really have?

OP
M

MrBob

Reaction score
2 music apps had this problem

@ New2u — I tried the stock music player and the Meridian player. Same problem with both.

LastBoyScout

Reaction score
wow. you can really tell who the audiophiles are, and who the average "swiss army knife" users are.

sure, this phone does alot, but that is kinda of the point of something like a swiss army knife; it does alot of things, but it doesnt do alot of them great, while a strict audio player will do its one job well.

Sure, I would love to have this fixed, but I dont let it detract from the main responsibility of the phone and that is to be f#ck!ng sweet! Just think about it. 3 Month old Smart Phone.... still in its infancy.... it can only get better!

P.S. I still use my iPod as my main music player too. Its kind of hard listening to "Rock Opera" albums like Dark Side of the Moon, or The Decemberists' The Hazard's of Love

Shoot, even some of the songs on Ryan Adams' Heartbreaker album dont sound right having the pause in between songs.

Im going to hold out hope that this will be fixed. You should too. In the mean time, Kick Out The Jams!