Droid Razrmaxx

Htown315

Reaction score
It is not frustrating to me that this device is being developed but the fact that this device already exists in china and came out the same time as the razr. the chinese varient has a 13mp camera 4.5 inch 720p display and a bigger battery.

It is pretty lame that a US company gave a better device to the Chinese.

geoffwhite18

Reaction score
Well they made it. might as well let them do the r&d as well!

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

jrpbulk

Reaction score
Show me the watts or milliwatts

Droid_Rich I am trying my best to configure tweak my usage patterns and feature set while still being able to enjoy the powerful phone I just bought. My battery life stinks. I haven't even started using it "normally" as compared to my Droid Incredible. If you have the time maybe you can help us losers out and show us the way to power salvation. I love this device but If I can't get a single full day of battery use with just a few minutes of usage, web browsing, app use .. etc this is no goo to me. HELP

I find it a bit ridiculous that Motorola is possibly already developing a new phone as a response to many people complaining about the battery life. If you recently purchased a Razr and returned it because of wining about battery life...I feel sorry for you...when first using a phone your obviously likely to use it abnormally causing it to drain faster.....doing the right charging cycles to strengthen battery life is worth it....as powerful as this phone is for being as thin as it is every time I charge it the the battery life becomes stronger. I get about a full 2 days on a full charge (48 hrs).....that's good for a smartphone...but then again the complainers are probably the people that have a dozen Widgets, a giant amount of applications signed in all of the time, both their wifi and data on all of the time, and GPS settings on for no reason.....these people don't deserve the device anyway.....people just love to wine....sad

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

wyld

Reaction score
Droid_Rich I am trying my best to configure tweak my usage patterns and feature set while still being able to enjoy the powerful phone I just bought. My battery life stinks. I haven't even started using it "normally" as compared to my Droid Incredible. If you have the time maybe you can help us losers out and show us the way to power salvation. I love this device but If I can't get a single full day of battery use with just a few minutes of usage, web browsing, app use .. etc this is no goo to me. HELP

One thing that will really help your battery life is to turn off the in pocket feature.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

satarecah

Reaction score
I would take that rumor with a grain of salt at this time. As far as I'm concerned, if it turns out true I honestly do not care. I'm very happy with the RAZR. It's a solid and stellar running handset. No new phone envy here :)
I love you, non love way but i agree im happy let the quad cores come out... you know why? i sense SIX CORE MADNESS in 2 years when my contract is up LOL

OP
Droid_Ritch

Droid_Ritch

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S4

@jrpbulk

Lol I wouldn't say I know the perfect path to power salvation as much as I would like to know, but I have tweaked my Razr quite a bit to conserve battery life. The average battery life of my phone on a full charge has been right around 1.5 - 2 days...not bad at all as thin as the phone is and as powerful as the phone is with a dual core processor. Just about everyday I learn more about this device. Tweaking it to perfection of course is a never-ending battle. I don't install a bunch of aftermarket applications....I don't install new Roms to the phone...I don't root my phone...Not that I don't support all the hackers out there...That stuff is a lot of fun and I have much respect for all of the hackers/modifiers...but I'm just you're average user and happened to be a lil tech savvy. I occasionally make some phone calls, text, check the e-mail, browse every once in a while, play a game or 2, and check my social networks every once in a while...Pretty basic. I like to stick to the stock capabilities and figure "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." ...The manufacturer designed these devices a specified way for a reason.

I don't know what kind of user you are. Whether you often need settings turned on for business or if your just the basic user. I know when I first got the phone I was on it non-stop for the first couple weeks so the battery was obviously gonna easily die down. But I have started to get into a schedule of normal use. I have heard when first getting a phone it's good to let the phone die down to almost if not all the way until it shuts off. I have done this about twice since I have had the phone for about a month and noticed the battery charge seems to last quite a bit longer. Doing complete charges and unplugging as soon as the charge is done instead of leaving the phone plugged in will avoid strain on your battery. After getting into a normal cycle of charging...Just charge the phone at the appropriate time that it notifies you for a new charge.
Whenever I'm out and about I turn Wi-Fi off. I figure I'm not gonna be at a specific Wi-Fi network for very long until I'm off jumping to the next one. You're phone is constantly gonna pick up Wi-Fi connections that are available around you unless you just turn these settings off...Now if you were staying in one building that had Wi-Fi, that's a different story...in that case it would be best to turn off your 4G connection and just have your Wi-Fi connection enabled. I have also been using the stock application "Smart Actions" on the phone. This app is pretty useful for customization; you can make many automated customized commands for your phone to do whether they are triggered manually, or an automated reaction by time, or location (GPS setting). I have actually created my own "Smart Actions" rule whenever my phone connects to my Wi-Fi connection on my specified Network Name (SSID) at my house, my phone automatically knows to turn off my 4G settings...Doing this will save my phone of being drained of power from 4G that I simply don't need when I already have a network in my house...this will also save you on data charges. Although you shouldn't get too crazy with creating a lot of customized rules with smart actions because the more rules running, the more battery being used. I also avoid creating rules that require location settings because then GPS would need to be enabled, which also drains power. The only thing I have noticed that is at a disadvantage when having 4G turned off is a delay of MMS (multimeda pic/audio/video messages). A lot of the times I have received MMS on Wi-Fi it will give me the option to download the file or I have to turn my 4G data back on. I figure I can live with that because I can temporarily turn data on and off manually because I'll end up saving battery life in the long run.
I also make sure to keep a lot of settings off or adjusted if they are just not needed at the time: (GPS, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, Background Data, 4G, and Brightness) I don't use "Social Locations" simply because I'm just a private person and I figure who cares where I'm at anyway...So the only time I have GPS settings on is when I need them for navigation while driving....the only GPS setting I have enabled is "Stand Alone" services. This service does seem to drain the most power, but it is the only GPS setting that I feel is the most effective and accurate. Whenever I arrive at where I need to be I just turn the GPS off. As far as Wi-Fi...like I was saying earlier, 4G or Wi-Fi...it's either one or the other, otherwise your killing your battery for an extra unneeded network. The only time you need Bluetooth on is when you're actually connecting to a Bluetooth capable device. Background Data is responsible for receiving things like Application updates and E-mails as well as updated data from social networks that runs in the background on your phone. You can customize some of these settings to update in different intervals...instead of updating every minute...these background data pushes will run your battery down. As far as brightness goes...I keep my brightness down to the lowest setting possible...The brighter your screen, the more power being drained. There are Power control toggle widgets you can place on your homescreen to conveniently turn all of these settings on and off instead of going manually into settings for every single one....Also as far as widgets and shortcuts go...don't get too crazy about these either the more you have on your homescreen, the more power being used to keep these things displayed. As convenient and as cool as the social widgets are, I avoid even putting those on my homescreen because widgets like those use a constant data push right to your homescreen.
As far as "Sleep Mode" goes, I don't know if you keep your phone on or not...the sleep mode basically puts your phone into a hibernate mode disabling every service on the phone but still quick to turn back on in the morning. I personally prefer to have the phone on but have every setting manually turned off so the only thing I can do is recieve texts and calls just in case someone needed to contact me if it were something important.

@wyld
I also noticed that in pocket detection runs your battery pretty quick probably because the sensors/accelerometer in the phone are constantly being used to notice its movement.

I'm sure I've missed a lot of other tips but from what I've mentioned here, for me personally, these tweaks have been effective. For the rest of the experienced droid/smartphone users out there, correct me if I'm wrong on this or feel free to add.

This post is from a pretty new droid user myself/Electronic Systems Technician/Technology Enthusiast.

I hope this post was helpful to you jrpbulk, good luck on the tweaking and hope you enjoy your new device. Happy Holidays.

Last edited:

jrpbulk

Reaction score
@Droid Rich,

Thanks for the reply. I am the same kind of user you are LOL

How do you have it enable wifi when you get home or to connect to your ssid if wifi is not on? If you can post the smart task for that I would be really set.

Thanks

** Me to a T
I'm just you're average user and happened to be a lil tech savvy. I occasionally make some phone calls, text, check the e-mail, browse every once in a while, play a game or 2, and check my social networks every once in a while...Pretty basic. I like to stick to the stock capabilities and figure "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

jrpbulk

Reaction score
I had to exchange my razr. The new device's battery seems to be lasting much longer. I have done a few things like using wifi when at home, disabling tons of things I don't use, fetching/syncing as need or every 30 minutes. discharging the battery fully then recharging then disconnecting from power ... etc. I am at 70% after 5.5 hours. I was at 35% with the old phone by this time.

I have also added Juice Defender vice using smart actions just to test it out.

OP
Droid_Ritch

Droid_Ritch

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S4
@Droid Rich,

Thanks for the reply. I am the same kind of user you are LOL

How do you have it enable wifi when you get home or to connect to your ssid if wifi is not on? If you can post the smart task for that I would be really set.

Thanks

** Me to a T
I'm just you're average user and happened to be a lil tech savvy. I occasionally make some phone calls, text, check the e-mail, browse every once in a while, play a game or 2, and check my social networks every once in a while...Pretty basic. I like to stick to the stock capabilities and figure "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

@jrpbulk

As far as setting up the "Smart Actions" Rule:

- Applications
- Smart Actions
- Press "+" to add a new rule
- Select "Start from scratch"
- Select "Triggers"
- Select "Wifi Connection"
- Check the Network Name (SSID) in your own home, then press "ok"
- Select "Actions"
- Select "Cellular Data"
- Select "Disable"

(You can also select a custom icon and name for the rule. Mine is called "Wifi Switch" with a Wifi icon.)
I also have a Wifi Toggle Widget on my homescreen so everytime I leave the house, I turn the Wifi off, so my phone switches to 4G. And whenever I return to the house I switch the Wifi back on...Since the phone recognizes that it is my specific network name, it then knows to turn Data back off. You can make all kinds of custom commands with "Smart Actions" to make things a little more convenient.

Last edited:

tpaege1

Reaction score
wouldnt ICS slow down the razr. ive read some posts on the web giving hints at that. :blink:

tpaege1

Reaction score
i looked hard at the razr. i still have my razer ii. loved that phone, anway i chased the razr till it was released. when i looked at it i was impressed but the one thing that paused me on it was the screen resolution. it did seem a bit dark. my friend has the bionic and with a screen protector hers was a bit dark as well but she thought was due to the protector. what were your impressions , im thinking of holding out for the 4cores

droid2drummer

Silver Member
Reaction score
In 20 months the battery will be horribly worn out. I wonder what they will charge to replace them... or will that be how they force end-of-life...

edit: I realized that seemed angry. I'm not really. I've accepted that phones are designed to last until you are up for renewal and be crawling along pathetically to make you want to upgrade. There is no way that will be different with the Razr.

The trick is grabbing the new shiny early enough so you are happy for a little while longer. That is the reason I'd not even get the Incredible 2 right now, even though my wife has one and it does everything well with no lag, even streaming 3g videos in high quality. It will only be barely satisfactory this time next year...

It would be cheaper for the company to send you a refurb, and that's exactly what I believe they will do in the event of battery issues.

Quite Sharp indeed....
Motorola Droid Razor...
Peace!