Droid Razr wireless hotspot connection to PS3

S

smorse83

I have a droid razr and have been grandfathered into the Verizon unlimited data plan, my biggest question is whether or not i can use my Droid's wireless hotspot to connect with my Ps3 for online gaming without using too many gigabytes or anything? And if Pdanet would allow me to do that?

Cinoib

Reaction score
1. Are you rooted?
2. Did you pay for a tethered connection?
3. If u'r rooted, did you know can use SqLite?

Sent from my SGH-T849 using DroidForums

JSM9872

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S22+
Welcome to Droid Forums!! I have never looked into tethering or hooking to a PS3 but I hope you get it figured out :biggrin:

smalltowngirl13

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force 2
Twitter
smalltownlife13
Hello and welcome!

We are happy to have ya with us!

OP
S

smorse83

No, it hasn't been rooted. I got it and the mobile hotspot service from pda net a few days ago.

justin82

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
there a free wifi tether app that does not require root . i have seen it mentioned around here a few times ,, i will see if i cant find it

edit: ap is called foxfi. free on market

GrmReaper

Reaction score
I have been using FoxFi, and have tethered pretty much everything to it. I too am Gf'd in on Verizon. You need to be careful though...from what I understand, there is still a usage limit...its just not mentioned much.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

justin82

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I have been using FoxFi, and have tethered pretty much everything to it. I too am Gf'd in on Verizon. You need to be careful though...from what I understand, there is still a usage limit...its just not mentioned much.

Not true at all. Unlimeted is unlimeted

Sent from my HTC ThunderBolt using Tapatalk

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
Just as an FYI you can freely USB tether your Razr using the settings in the Wireless & Network section. Verizon is 100% okay with that.

PERSONALLY, if verizon is a-ok with people USB tethering then I don't know why they wouldn't be okay with people WiFi tethering. All you're doing is replacing the USB cord with WiFi. You still can only do one device at a time (unlike a hotspot).

GrmReaper

Reaction score
Not true at all. Unlimeted is unlimeted

From what I've been reading, there are two main theories:
1) That at around 5Gb of tethered usage, yes it will still be free, but it will be greatly throttled.

2) That the 'unlimited' part of your plan us for email, text, picture and video messaging. Tethering usage will be capped at 5Gb.

Personally I have no idea what is true or just hearsay...I don't use my Razr for that much tethering; I have a 105 Mb/s download speed from Comcast at my house...has anyone tethered over 5Gb here?

justin82

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
From what I've been reading, there are two main theories:
1) That at around 5Gb of tethered usage, yes it will still be free, but it will be greatly throttled.

2) That the 'unlimited' part of your plan us for email, text, picture and video messaging. Tethering usage will be capped at 5Gb.

Personally I have no idea what is true or just hearsay...I don't use my Razr for that much tethering; I have a 105 Mb/s download speed from Comcast at my house...has anyone tethered over 5Gb here?

There are people who use 60 gig a month. Each of my 2 smartphone lines use well over 10 a month. Unthrotteled

MEEF

Reaction score
I just tried this with foxfi and it worked great! I have no real need for it but I've never used the wifi on my PS3 and I was curious. Non rooted RAZR unlimited data.

MEEF

Reaction score
I just played 3 games of MW3 with no lag issues.

I do have unlimited data but I do wonder how much data that it uses.

GrmReaper

Reaction score
There are people who use 60 gig a month. Each of my 2 smartphone lines use well over 10 a month. Unthrotteled

That's what I figured. For fun I looked up the 'conditions' on my Verizon account...here's what it says:

"Verizon Wireless strives to provide customers the best experience when using our network, a shared resource among tens of millions of customers. To help achieve this, if you use an extraordinary amount of data and fall within the top 5% of Verizon Wireless data users we may reduce your data throughput speeds periodically for the remainder of your then current and immediately following billing cycle to ensure high quality network performance for other users at locations and times of peak demand. Our proactive management of the Verizon Wireless network is designed to ensure that the remaining 95% of data customers aren't negatively affected by the inordinate data consumption of just a few users. Customers who do not have dedicated Mobile Broadband devices cannot tether other devices to laptops or personal computers for use as wireless modems unless they subscribe to Mobile Broadband Connect. We further reserve the right to take measures to protect our network and other users from harm, compromised capacity or degradation in performance."

Cheers, I guess you were right. I think I'll stick to my occasional use and not temp the fates at Verizon.

OP
S

SFGate

Welcome to the site. I found out the hard way on another network carrier that unlimited is not necessarily unlimited, so now I try to be aware of my usage. It is disappointing though. DancingNexus