Droid RAZR Will Have Unlockable Bootloader for International Version

bullswife98

Reaction score
So although it will have a locked bootloader in it between these two phone I'm gonna have to go with the Droid Razr locked or not. Just know what I've experienced with Samsungs devices and its not for me not enough patience nor do I want a fight on my hands just cuz I want to make a simple phone call or send a text only to have it not go through.

SENT FROM MY OG DROID ROOTED AND SUPERCHARGED!

loki993

Reaction score
It certainly is possible that they could get a locked version of this device. But then by definition it would not be a Nexus which has to be fully unlocked. Then it would just be a Galaxy Prime or something like that.

Ok, a little devils advocate here, so don't take this as being argumentative because its not and I dont know so curious too, but where does it say that a Nexus Device has to be unlocked? I know that's what they've called their Dev phones in the past, but whos to say this is a the same as that? Maybe thats why Verizons getting it now.

bullswife98

Reaction score
Ok, a little devils advocate here, so don't take this as being argumentative because its not and I dont know so curious too, but where does it say that a Nexus Device has to be unlocked? I know that's what they've called their Dev phones in the past, but whos to say this is a the same as that? Maybe thats why Verizons getting it now.

This is true,it doesn't at least where I've read.. guess we'll have to see in the reviews. And the plot thickens...

SENT FROM MY OG DROID ROOTED AND SUPERCHARGED!

JSM9872

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S22+

There always has to be someone... Just kidding. Have they ever written it down that a Nexus has to be unlocked or literally taken the time to define the Nexus program? I can honestly say I am unsure. I am assuming you have already looked so I do not know what results I will return when I look, which I probably will at some point. My statement is merely based off of the community implied definition.

But as I said they could easily lock it and then just brand it something else. Then technically it would be a different device and not the Galaxy Nexus.

sbenson

Silver Member
Reaction score
I guess if we want to get technical here, the previous Nexus phones shipped with "locked" bootloaders. However, Google provided bootloader unlocking via a AOSP fastboot utility. When this is done, the user is presented with a disclaimer stating that warranty and insurance is void. If this info is able to be obtained by Verizon, I don't know what the big deal is, assuming they have access to it? Brick your phone? Sorry, you agreed to assume the risk. Insurance? Sorry, you waived your rights. It's pretty simple. Tethering? Well, I bet tether users make up < 1% of Verizon's total customers. Yeah, they want us to stop, but we barely make a dent in their network.

JSM9872

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S22+
I guess if we want to get technical here, the previous Nexus phones shipped with "locked" bootloaders...

True. Everything that I am aware of ships with a locked one. The difference is encrypted vs not. We were saying unlocked when we should have been saying unlockable or not encrypted.

loki993

Reaction score
I guess if we want to get technical here, the previous Nexus phones shipped with "locked" bootloaders. However, Google provided bootloader unlocking via a AOSP fastboot utility. When this is done, the user is presented with a disclaimer stating that warranty and insurance is void. If this info is able to be obtained by Verizon, I don't know what the big deal is, assuming they have access to it? Brick your phone? Sorry, you agreed to assume the risk. Insurance? Sorry, you waived your rights. It's pretty simple. Tethering? Well, I bet tether users make up < 1% of Verizon's total customers. Yeah, they want us to stop, but we barely make a dent in their network.

right, which makes the whole issue of locking the bootloaders silly anyway, but for whatever reason they do it anyway. It just kinda sucks, Id like to have an unlocked bootloader to run all the different kernels and the like that will surly come out for a phone that is unlocked. However Im not totally in love with the Nexus, which leaves me a bit of a dilemma.

Last edited:

sbenson

Silver Member
Reaction score
True. I will remain skeptical but optimistic on the subject. Everyone knows Google's stance on Nexus devices. Everyone also knows Verizon's stance on Android devices in general. Maybe they found some middle ground? Maybe Google said take it or leave it. We'll just have to wait and see.

Edit: And to add to this, Verizon Samsung devices in the past have had easily defeated bootloaders (locked but not encrypted - huge difference) anyway, so I truly believe there's nothing to worry about here.

Last edited:

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
^Same goes for the HTC phones, bootloaders are unlocked on VZW. loki, another thing to remeber is with the options for custom kernals, the GN is that much more future proof.

loki993

Reaction score
^Same goes for the HTC phones, bootloaders are unlocked on VZW. loki, another thing to remeber is with the options for custom kernals, the GN is that much more future proof.

True, I mean look at how long people have been able to get by with their OG Droids. Ill just have to see it, see if I like it. I'm actually anxiously awaiting something official on the Vigor, because I feel like that could be pretty decent. Seems people obviously complained about the Tbolts though. Ive also heard some things about signal quality issues in general with HTC phones. I don't want anything to do with that.

newparadigm

Reaction score
Ive also heard some things about signal quality issues in general with HTC phones. I don't want anything to do with that.

I've not had any problems with my (CM7 with incredikernel) Dinc.

I will wait a while after release of all three, see what's on the horizon and go from there. I'd kind of like a bit faster processor and 4G, but otherwise happy with the Dinc.

I would like to add, that I as a non-dev "regular user" fully appreciate the kernel importance. I like basically vanilla android, but want kernel flexibility to optimize the hardware and get updates without waiting on the carriers. Maybe this (the incredikernel) is why I have no signal issues with the Dinc? T-bolt users I believe have had similar experiences.

prime

Kernel Developer
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
I believe there are "rules" for a device to be a nexus branded handset....I just can't recall what they are offhand.

sb1831

Reaction score
I believe there are "rules" for a device to be a nexus branded handset....I just can't recall what they are offhand.

I don't think that applies anymore since they gave Samsung top billing in this one. Nexus 1 and the Nexus S were phones where they had no real Manufacturer affiliation. Being that they attached the Nexus name to the Galaxy name, I'm not sure what to expect to be honest. Yes the Nexus devices have always been open in the past, but they've never been tied to a known product line. I hope it's open bc quite frankly I still enjoy playing with my N1

sbenson

Silver Member
Reaction score
I don't think that applies anymore since they gave Samsung top billing in this one. Nexus 1 and the Nexus S were phones where they had no real Manufacturer affiliation. Being that they attached the Nexus name to the Galaxy name, I'm not sure what to expect to be honest. Yes the Nexus devices have always been open in the past, but they've never been tied to a known product line. I hope it's open bc quite frankly I still enjoy playing with my N1

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the "S" in Nexus S alluding to its affiliation with other Galaxy "S" devices from last year. Same manufacturer and similar design. Maybe I'm off base here...