[TOOLS] DROID RAZR Utility XT912 Jellybean -- Windows + Mac + Linux (All In One!)

Reaction score
I have a strange problem that's really getting on my nerves. I've only found one other person who has the same problem but there was no solution. I'm hoping someone here can help me with it.

I have the Droid RAZR XT912 and I'm using Windows 7 with the Droid RAZR Jelly Bean utility. I followed the steps (method 2, no wipe) and everything seemed to be going okay at first.

The first oddity I noticed was after a reboot when the device was updating/optimizing apps. The bottom third of the screen was covered with strange graphical artifacts. I didn't think it was important. Shortly after updating the apps it said "Updating Media Database". This step seemed to be in some kind of endless loop. It would go away for a few seconds then come back again, over and over. I waited a while (even went to the kitchen and had some food and came back) but it kept doing this. It's important note now that the graphical artifacts were bad during this stage. The screen flickered, the bottom third had "boxy" looking artifacts and the right third of the screen kept shifting a lot.

I forced a reboot on the phone and after that it rebooted normally and for the most part, it seemed that the flash was successful. I was booted into a new lock screen and I could tell the update itself seemed successful but I kept getting those graphical artifacts and display issues. When I unlocked it I was given some setup steps. I chose English for my language, and blah blah blah (I don't remember every tiny detail). When I got to the part that asked me to Sync data, I couldn't continue (it's like a "Next" button was missing or something). The whole procedure was made more difficult due to the display issues.

I started the whole process over, this time choosing to wipe the data (method 1) just in case that would help. It did not. This time it did not get stuck at a "Updating Media Database" part, but the graphical issues remain.

The other person that had this problem was able to supply pictures of what it looks like. Please check here for that: How to Upgrade to And Root Jelly Bean on Droid Razr! | DroidRazrRoot.com

I'm replying here because it might have something to do with the utility, but if you think this post should go somewhere else, I apologize.

I certainly hope someone can help me. I will provide any additional details you might need to help me solve this issue. Thank you!!!

EDIT: The other guy said he tried this and it didn't help, but I found someone else with the same problem and they tried the video instructions and they said it helped them, so I tried it and it DID help me. The graphical glitches are gone now. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9lPw5Lxpx4&feature=player_embedded#t=27&hd=1

Last edited:

pltctytc

Reaction score
too bad this utility doesn't work when already on 4.1.2....all you get is bootlooping right away or a day down the road.
had to do the sbf with rsd lite to get things right

coldchill

Reaction score
Thank you, Matt...you are a lifesaver. I sent you some beer money as a token of my appreciation...might I suggest a wet hop IPA, there are some good ones to be enjoyed this time of year.

I used your utility to reflash my RAZR that would lock up in boot. I had gone the factory reset route and managed to get it working for a few days, but it would spontaneously reboot and freeze.

I downloaded your utility, unzipped the files, installed the 64 bit windows drivers, ran the app, booted my phone to fastboot and plugged it in. Pushed 1 and just a couple of minutes later have a phone that behaves better than when new. I haven't gone so far as to root it, but I'm just happy to have a working phone. Since I'm 8 months from the end of our contract, my only options were to use my old droid incredible or to pony up the replacement phone cash. With kids and the holidays coming up, the replacement phone was not an option. So THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU.

(it was also very nice of you to respond to my donation with a thank you note)

-Gale

kaduka

Reaction score
newb here I am looking to root 9.18.94XT926 can anybody point me in the right direction?

ranger_13

Reaction score
64 Bit OS?

Thank you for the great tool!

I would like to know if I, or you can adapt this application to a 64-bit Debian/Ubuntu platform?

-Thanks

Drrooiid

Reaction score
Thank you for the great tool!

I would like to know if I, or you can adapt this application to a 64-bit Debian/Ubuntu platform?

-Thanks

Never gonna happen. The XT912 is old now. Plus, no need for a linux version of a tool that you use once for a few minutes.

leland_7

Reaction score
1. Anyone know if Matt is still around? If so, I'd like to reach him for some assistance. And buy him some beer in return.
2. Is the private message system broken?

Skiddz

Reaction score
Mistakenly allowed the latest OTA upgrade from Verizon to run and now no more root access. Tried using the utility to re-root, didn't see any errors but still don't have root access. Also, SuperUser tells me it need to be installed again, but Recovery Install and Install both fail. Uninstalled and tried to reinstall with no success...

Ideas before I nuke the phone again and rebuild from scratch?

pltctytc

Reaction score
do yourself a favor. dump the moto for a galaxy

so much easier to root and update all around with simpler exploits out there. i used this moto rooting system for years and it's unnecessarily complicated for every different moto model.
i was a die hard moto guy for years and last year got a sammy note 3 and never looked back. phones perform much better and software so much better and made better. day/night difference, moto doesn't keep up with what people want.

GoCliffGo05

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 7
Opinions opinions. I prefer Moto. My root method required flashing a ssu zip.

Sent from my Eclipsed XT1060

pokesaver

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid RAZR
This is probably a while away, but let me explain my problem:

Phone died one day, charged it, turned it back on and it's now stuck on that annoying and stupid red eye. Went out to this forum, asked for help, got some and found out about this utility. DL'd it, got the cable for my computer, and did option 2 to keep my data. Went through everything, rebooted to the red eye again. Tried it again incase anything happened wrong. Same thing.

So what is wrong with my phone? It literally just WILL NOT START. It was able to download the damn things for Motocast to transfer my files but I can't do that because everything has to be hard and need internet connections, EVEN THOUGH A USB IS ABLE TO TRANSFER THE FILES.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
Hello pokesaver! Welcome to the forum. Please be mindful that we are a family friendly forum so be easy on the expletives.

pokesaver

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid RAZR
Hello pokesaver! Welcome to the forum. Please be mindful that we are a family friendly forum so be easy on the expletives.

My bad.

Today is my last day here (hopefully). Just been informed my Razr problem is a hardware failure, booting won't do anything.

GG All Media files.

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
My bad.

Today is my last day here (hopefully). Just been informed my Razr problem is a hardware failure, booting won't do anything.

GG All Media files.

Sure hate to hear it's hardware related. We cover many different phone types from different carriers so who knows? Maybe we will be able to assist you with your new phone in the future :)