Droid RAZR Touchscreen Going Crazy While Charging FIX (sort of)

OP
StephenC

StephenC

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto X (2nd Gen)
Well, I got my OEM Motorola charger and cable in today. I plugged my 9 foot verizon cable into the Moto wall adapter and guess what! No more problems!!!! I guess these phones just don't like aftermarket chargers.

Sent from my resurrected DROID RAZR with ICS

TCama

Reaction score
This happens to me whenever I charge my phone. I use a Just Wireless charger at work and an Amazon Kindle charger at home, and it happens with both. I haven't tried my OEM charger yet, but I will now after reading this. I'm using a Droid RAZR (not MAXX).

It started when I updated to Android 4.0.4 last week. I had 3 something before that and it never happened. It's worst in things like text messages. I'll be typing something and it will think I selected one of the predicted words. Then it will send it with some random predicted words.

I'd try with the OEM charger. Anyone else figure anything out? I can't help but think it's somehow related to software, since it only started with the 4.0.4 update.

OP
StephenC

StephenC

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto X (2nd Gen)
TCama said:
This happens to me whenever I charge my phone. I use a Just Wireless charger at work and an Amazon Kindle charger at home, and it happens with both. I haven't tried my OEM charger yet, but I will now after reading this. I'm using a Droid RAZR (not MAXX).

It started when I updated to Android 4.0.4 last week. I had 3 something before that and it never happened. It's worst in things like text messages. I'll be typing something and it will think I selected one of the predicted words. Then it will send it with some random predicted words.

I'd try with the OEM charger. Anyone else figure anything out? I can't help but think it's somehow related to software, since it only started with the 4.0.4 update.

Mine was doing it before the update. Heck, my Droid 2 Global did it. I had been using a Verizon Wireless wall adapter. Now since I got another OEM Motorola wall adapter, it has stopped.

amusedone

Reaction score
I have noticed that my touch screen is screwy when I'm charging it too. I use swype and the trace will be all jagged and nowhere near what I actually was trying to type. Very frustrating. This occurs with the original charger (for home use) and an aftermarket charger(for work/boyfriend's house).

Inky1216

Reaction score
I have several chargers ( I know, don't ask...) and they all do it. I have 2 of the 9' chargers, the one that came with the phone, and a generic one. They all do it and it is CRAZY frustrating! There are rare times it doesn't happen, but its rare. I have tried recently to take notice to see what the common factor is - Motorola vs. generic, short vs. long, wall vs. USB, other things plugged into same outlet or power strip or not, etc. The only thing that seems to make it worse is having a very low battery. The times you REALLY need it to be plugged in, it's worse. But that isn't a very scientific study, just a casual observation. My friend has the same issue with his Razr. Wish someone would fix this - it's like the phone is possessed by demons when it's plugged in. :icon_evil:

OP
StephenC

StephenC

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto X (2nd Gen)
That is strange. I didn't have an OEM Motorola charger (got my phone on eBay as a parts phone) and the Verizon one I had possessed my phone. After getting a Moto wall adapter, I haven't had any issues. Not sure what to tell you guys.

ShayH

Reaction score
Same problem and got worse

I noticed the same thing happening to my screen, except it was not just while charging. I ignored it the first couple of times, but it just got worse. It started acting up again on Sat so I called VW and tried trouble shooting. Set back to factory, but did not help. So, they are sending a new phone this week. That was fine because I could still get calls and make calls. Well, I got home from work on Sat night and my phone just went black. I tried to charge it and it seemed to not be charging. At some point in the middle og the night it came back to life. Great right? WRONG!!! It is possessed!!!!! It will ring for no reason and for like 5 min straight. It will not let me do anything to it. I can't turn it on/off or do anything with the screen. It has a mind of it's own. Now it is a completely useless possessed brick that yells DROID at me and plays different ring tones all day! WTH is up with this thing? Anyone else had this happen? Can't wait for my new phone to arrive!!!!

OP
StephenC

StephenC

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto X (2nd Gen)
That is messed up! What sucks is most people can't do a battery pull. Luckily I have safe pry tools and a T3 Torx screwdriver. Hopefully you'll have better luck with your next phone.

frisbear

Reaction score
My Razr...
1). Goes crazy at random times. Multiple letters and symbols and numbers at the same time while dialing. Or...random butt dials. This occurs sometimes right after (or during) charging.
2). Will charge using using any of my seven usb cables. However... the only usb cord that will transfer music and videos between the RAZR andy computer is my neighbors Blackberry cord. Not the 2 usb cords that came from Motorola or the 2 replacement cords sent by Verizon.

OP
StephenC

StephenC

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto X (2nd Gen)
My verizon cords will not do data transfers either. The only cable I can use for that is the OEM Motorola cord. As for your charging issues, are you using the OEM Motorola wall adapter?

groelzj

Reaction score
First off, try flipping your plug in the outlet when this happens. It used to happen with my Droid X with the factory charger until one day I plugged in the charger upside down and the problem was solved!

As far as the data transfer, there are 2 types of usb cords. One has 2 pins connected together...this is a charging cord. It allows more power to be shunted through (more amps) to the phone. You're dealing with very small wires and they don't like to carry a whole lot of amperage, so by using 2 wires to carry the charge current, they can dramatically reduce the time it takes to charge your device. I use red heat-shrink tubing to identify the cords that are charge only, since they don't say it on them anywhere. The only way to tell is to plug in via your computer and see if you connect to the device, or if it's strictly charging.

julszilla

Reaction score
My Razr...
1). Goes crazy at random times. Multiple letters and symbols and numbers at the same time while dialing. Or...random butt dials. This occurs sometimes right after (or during) charging.

MINE DOES THAT CONSTANTLY AND IT IS DRIVING ME INSANE!!!! And yet Verizon keeps telling me that there is nothing wrong with the phone...I'm on my 2nd replacement and 3rd Maxx already because of this recurring problem.

AND it happens most of the time while charging or just after charging but sometimes just happens after I wake the phone up and start texting and then it will call people, send random texts, and type letters I DON'T WANT.

And that ghost ringing? Yeah, happened ALL THE TIME with my first replacement.

Last edited:

mayham2k

Reaction score
Droid screen unusable when charging

As stated a few days ago by me...use a new charger as that one probably has a shortage or to high amperage or to low amperage.

"Warning: You cant shave with your RAZR. I tried!!"

This only seems to happen with some chargers. If I use short USB to wall charger adapter combo my phone works fine. If I use the wall charger that came with my Samsung BT headset my phone works fine. I also have a BB charger that works fine as well. Any other charger including the cheapo Chinese no brand chargers and I basically can't use the screen. It has to be a voltage/amperage problem. This seems to be a problem with more than just the Droid Razr, my Droid 1 did the same thing.

OP
StephenC

StephenC

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto X (2nd Gen)
mayham2k said:
This only seems to happen with some chargers. If I use short USB to wall charger adapter combo my phone works fine. If I use the wall charger that came with my Samsung BT headset my phone works fine. I also have a BB charger that works fine as well. Any other charger including the cheapo Chinese no brand chargers and I basically can't use the screen. It has to be a voltage/amperage problem. This seems to be a problem with more than just the Droid Razr, my Droid 1 did the same thing.

Yes. I think it is all Motorola handsets. My Droid 2 Global, Droid Pro, and my dad's Droid X were like that as well. How annoying!

Ksupernor2

Reaction score
You need to use the factory charger and cable. It states that in some instructions that came with the phone. I remember reading it somewhere. I also have plugged in to our secretaries charger (cheap one) at work and my phone freaks out. Screen go crazy.