droid razr speaker

trebor61

Reaction score
My speaker isn't working at all. I've noticed it about two weeks ago and I can't fix it. Can someone please help? dancedroid

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Welcome to the forums trebor! Try putting pressure on the back of the phone where the speaker is. See if that makes it work. There are some Razr's that have experienced this problem where the components by the speaker become loose (or something like that) and that pressure fixes it. Now, of course, you don't want to have to apply pressure there everytime you want to use the speaker! But if it your speaker miracuously works that way, you know for certain that is the problem. If so, your phone is still covered under warranty and you can get a replacement.

zomnomnombie

Reaction score
Go to settings>sounds>volumes and play with the sliders. Do you get any sound by doing that?

jimpido

Reaction score
I have the same problem on my other Maxx. The Razr has a known issue with the wiring on the speaker on the device. This is most common with the device build lot from early to mid February. Really, your only fix for this is to go to the Motorola website and find the warranty section and make sure your warranty is still good, (for Razr and Razr Maxx the warranty is 1-Year) and they'll send you a fixed/refurbished device in 3-5 bis days. MAKE SURE THIS ISNT JUST THAT YOU HAVE THE VOLUME ALL THE WAY DOWN BEFORE WASTING YOUR TIME AND SENDING IT IN THOUGH! Hope this helps. =]

OP
T

trebor61

Reaction score
Thanks everyone who responded. I tried pushing on the speaker but the sound would still not work. I also fooled around a bit with the volume in settings but still nothing happens. When I plug in my earbuds, they work just fine. Could it be that I just broke my speaker myself?

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
If you do a hard reset does the sound come back? Press the volume down button then the power button for 10 seconds, when your phone boots back up see if your sound works.

Some people (myself included), have had intermittent external sound problems since ICS.

OP
T

trebor61

Reaction score
Yes I've tried a hard reset and the speaker still doesn't work. I really don't understand what is wrong with the RAZR

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
trebor, I looks like it may be the speaker hardware that has malfunctioned. There have been a few reported porblems with this. Unofrtunately, if that is the case, then the only fix is to get a replacement phone under your warranty. You can take the phone to verizon, they will probably try their various fixes. But tell them you have already done a factory data reset and you do not want to do another one (highly doubtful it wil fix this problem and you want to save your stuff before that happens anyway)... They will probably want to try doing an FDR because that is one of their last resort "it should fix everything methods." After they have tried their various attempts to fix it, they will order you another phone.

OP
T

trebor61

Reaction score
Thank you everyone for helping me out. I'm going to bring my phone to verizon then.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Keep us posted trebor! If you end up getting a replacement and need any help backing up your info on your phone so you can transfer it to the replacement, we can help you with that!

aryavat

Reaction score
Welcome to the forums trebor! Try putting pressure on the back of the phone where the speaker is. See if that makes it work. There are some Razr's that have experienced this problem where the components by the speaker become loose (or something like that) and that pressure fixes it. Now, of course, you don't want to have to apply pressure there everytime you want to use the speaker! But if it your speaker miracuously works that way, you know for certain that is the problem. If so, your phone is still covered under warranty and you can get a replacement.

wow it worked after 2 days of not working..why is it related to the ICS upgrade though!

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Hi aryavat. Welcome to the forums. I don't think it is related to the upgrade to ICS... at least not that I noticed people reporting. It could be just coincidental in your case that it happened at this time.

Did your speaker just start working by itself or was there something you did to make it start working?

Sent from my DROID RAZR Maxx using Droid Forums

zomnomnombie

Reaction score
TisMyDroid said:
Hi aryavat. Welcome to the forums. I don't think it is related to the upgrade to ICS... at least not that I noticed people reporting. It could be just coincidental in your case that it happened at this time.

Did your speaker just start working by itself or was there something you did to make it start working?

Sent from my DROID RAZR Maxx using Droid Forums

I will second the not related to ICS. The speaker hardware itself was problem prone.

aryavat

Reaction score
I will second the not related to ICS. The speaker hardware itself was problem prone.
may be its because i only searched for "speaker not working after ICS upgrade"...There are tons of hits on google for the exact issue.
As suggested above, i applied pressure on the back of the phone where the speaker is and that made it work...since then i dropped the phone once - speaker stopped working, then applied pressure and it worked again. took a little longer this time. Wondering if should return to costco for an exchange.

sajgel

Reaction score
sounds like the speaker is blown. Also the Headset port could be in the stuck on postion. Try wiggling the port with the headset plugged in then remove it to see if that works.