Droid RAZR SOOO Slow - Frustrated

Youthfulgeezer

Reaction score
ANY help here would be appreciated. I scanned the forum looking for answers, and didn't find much.

My Droid RAZR is SOOO slow lately is frustrating me. This is my second Android phone over the last 3 or 4 years. I had the same problem with my last phone. The longer I had the phone, the slower it would get. There are times when its almost unusable right now. I am seriously considering a switch to an iPhone next time around. My wife has an iPhone (this is her second) and has never had the performance problems that I do.

ANY help would be appreciated. http://cdn.droidblog.net/forum/images/smilies/mad.png

YouthfulGeezer

YellowJacket

Reaction score
For starters, try cleaning out the cache. I use the free app called AppCache Cleaner in the google play store. Works quite well.

Also, you may want to try another micro SD memory card. My Maxx was also very slow, especially after I "upgraded" to a SanDisk Ultra Class10 32GB card. First problem was that the Razrs supposedly don't work too well with the fast class 10 cards, second I may have gotten a bad card because now it doesn't even work good in my laptop.

Changing to a slower class 6 samsung micro Sd made a world of difference. Its kind of like having a new phone!

David

OP
Youthfulgeezer

Youthfulgeezer

Reaction score
I will try the cache cleaner. I have gone through and manually cleared cache on all of the applications with very limited success. MIGHT be the SD card, but if that were the case, I would assume it would have been slow from day one - and it wasn't. When I first got the phone it was very quick. Now, I sometimes have to wait what seems like minutes to get response from applications.

Like I said, this is the 2nd Driod phone I have had similar results with over the last few years. VERY frustrating.

yzonker

Reaction score
Check how much free memory you have using an app like SystemPanel lite. My Razr was lagging really bad until I removed some apps that remain in memory all the time. Some of the stock apps can be disabled too.

As a quick test, use the app I mentioned or similar task killer to kill most running apps. If the phone is a lot smoother just after that, then it's probably running out of memory. I think there's a reason all the new phones are coming with 2gb now.

pjkump

Reaction score
My wife had the same problem with her Razr Maxx because she didn't factory reset the phone after she got Jellybean. Once she did that it was like a new phone.

4low4fun

Reaction score
Dont forget this phone launched with gingerbread.. It wasn't built to handle project butter or jelly bean.. I'm running a fresh ROM with only my have to have apps loaded and after 2 weeks of use its slower than can be with force close pop ups and app not responding pop ups.. I am using a cache cleaner as well.. The only cure I've found is to turn off ALL screen animations and to reboot the phone at least once a day.. Seems to keep it reasonably snappy! Hope that helps!

LoneWolfArcher

Silver Member
Reaction score
For starters, try cleaning out the cache. I use the free app called AppCache Cleaner in the google play store. Works quite well.

Also, you may want to try another micro SD memory card. My Maxx was also very slow, especially after I "upgraded" to a SanDisk Ultra Class10 32GB card. First problem was that the Razrs supposedly don't work too well with the fast class 10 cards, second I may have gotten a bad card because now it doesn't even work good in my laptop.

Changing to a slower class 6 samsung micro Sd made a world of difference. Its kind of like having a new phone!

David

My phone was so slow over the weekend I almost threw it into the swamp on the hunting property! But installed App Cache Cleaner after reading this post and it is much much faster now. Thanks!

YellowJacket

Reaction score
Dont forget this phone launched with gingerbread.. It wasn't built to handle project butter or jelly bean.....

I have to disagree in part with that. Many of the newer phones that are coming out with JB still have lesser specs than the Razr and run well. I am currently running Cyanogenmod 10 which is Android 4.2.2 - the latest Jelly Bean, and it is running awesome, so our phones are capable of handling more.

Granted, rooting isn't for everyone and won't fix all problems but a clean ROM without the bloat sure runs fast and efficient. I was on the verge of plunking down the cash for a shiny new and "faster" GS4 but I feel I can go another year now.

Like I said earlier, a lot of problems can be tied to slower or problematic SD cards. Changing mine out made a huge difference before I rooted. Also, regularly cleaning the cache makes a big difference.

David