Droid Razr Screen Cracked and Unusable, Need To Retrieve Information

JMont

Reaction score
Hey - I posted earlier, but I haven't had time to come back and investigate my phone situation until now.

In any case, I tried this method of using "MyMobiler", but it didn't work. I downloaded the program and opened it, but when I connect the cracked phone to the computer with a USB cable, and I click on the icon in the right-hand desktop tray, it keeps popping up and saying, "Unable to connect to your device (USB)" Did you get this message? If so, how were you able to overcome it?

I looked at the option to buy a lapdock - hmm, it looks expensive and I'm still worried my phone is just completely wonky. It seems like you were able to get a good deal for $33 bucks. Sigh.

Also, can someone please translate this statement? "My MAXX doesn't have HDMI out. I guess Chromecast is an option for that."

Thx. I don't know what to do....

OK, I'm also someone who posted earlier on this thread having the same problem of a cracked screen/digitizer. What I've found (someone please correct me if I'm wrong) is that none of these methods are going to work for you if you didn't have USB Debugging Mode enabled prior to your phone being cracked. See below picture.

View attachment 68308View attachment 68308

PC Magazine defines USB Debugging Mode as follows: "A developer mode in Android phones that allows newly programmed apps to be copied via USB to the device for testing. Depending on the OS version and installed utilities, the mode must be turned on to let developers read internal logs." Basically, it's a way for developer's to write programs for android on their PC instead of meticulously writing them using the phone's screen. Andddddd, more importantly for us, it allows one to connect to their phone via any one of the excellent methods listed by users in the threads above should the screen become unusable. So, it appears you might be in my boat, which is MyMobiler, VM Lite Remote Access, USB Mouse w/ HDMI Output, Lapdock w/ whatever output, none of these methods are going to work since they all require connecting to the phone via USB cable at some point in their operation. And for some reason USB Debugging Mode is disabled on my phone but not others...? I didn't do it. :blink:

Since I wasn't able to find anyone who could hack into the phone and enable USB mode I kept digging. I ending up finding some very technical threads on other forums that talked about booting into the android operating system, running a backup of the phone's hard drive, and then filing an insurance claim to replace the phone entirely. I couldn't find any complete information on how exactly to do this, however. Instead of all that I chose to cancel my insurance and wait for the price of the RAZR screen/digitizer replacement at the local repair shop to go down close enough to my deductible ($100). Three months ago the guy at the shop wanted $180 to do the repair, but mostly because the screen/digitizer was $130. He told me to wait because that price would drop as time wore on and the newer phones came out for Christmas. The price of the replacement part today is $93 (see Amazon link below). I saved $24 by canceling my insurance three months ago so I'm about ready to pull the trigger. I'll update this thread with any information on the actual phone screen replacement alternative, as this appears to be my only option. In the meantime, if anyone has found a way to hack into the OS and enable USB Mode, or has been able to copy the hard drive, I'm all ears. Thanks

Ps- I'm pretty sure Chromecast is not going to do anything for this problem. It's a new product from Google that allows you to stream videos from NetFlix and YouTube to your TV as controlled from your "working" phone or laptop. I have one in my room and living room pretty cool but totally unrelated to this

Amazon.com: Motorola Droid Razr XT910/XT912 LCD Display Screen with Touch Digitizer Screen Assembly Replacement Part: Cell Phones & Accessories

JonnyCage

Reaction score
Hey - I posted earlier, but I haven't had time to come back and investigate my phone situation until now.

In any case, I tried this method of using "MyMobiler", but it didn't work. I downloaded the program and opened it, but when I connect the cracked phone to the computer with a USB cable, and I click on the icon in the right-hand desktop tray, it keeps popping up and saying, "Unable to connect to your device (USB)" Did you get this message? If so, how were you able to overcome it?

I looked at the option to buy a lapdock - hmm, it looks expensive and I'm still worried my phone is just completely wonky. It seems like you were able to get a good deal for $33 bucks. Sigh.

Also, can someone please translate this statement? "My MAXX doesn't have HDMI out. I guess Chromecast is an option for that."

Thx. I don't know what to do....

I did get this same message, yes. I right-clicked on the icon for MyMobiler and went to the phone settings option, I think. Once I clicked install, everything worked great. Let me know what happens.

nattylite

Reaction score
OK, I'm also someone who posted earlier on this thread having the same problem of a cracked screen/digitizer....

JMont. Thank you for rocking it with these responses. SO helpful! I looked on my phone and I actually DON'T have the option you are talking about checked, so I'm not sure these suggestions are going to work for me either.

Over this holiday break I am going to take this phone to a local place to try to get the screen fixed and see what they have to say.
Did you have any luck?

This year is the busiest time for me at my current job so it has been difficult to move ahead on this project!!
I appreciate all the responses.

gravydavy

Reaction score
Mine got broken as well, both touchscreen and digitizer - it's a RAZR HD (XT925) - and PIN protected.

Back in the days where Android used to support the Mass Storage Mode, solving this would have been as easy as plugging the phone to a PC with the USB cable.
But latest Android releases no longer support the Mass Storage Mode - replaced with MTP, and this is when media contents are not displayed on PCs until the PIN is entered.

I was about to give up searching for a solution to retrieve the contents of the internal memory when I thought that I was actually needing another pointing device.

Then I remember having read that within each of our Droids is a full featured Linux core, in most cases, containing many drivers for several devices.
So I decided to try the following:

These elements are needed:
- the wrecked Droid: it must support USB Host Mode (this comes right out of the box in stock version of the latest devices)
- HDMI capable external display
- micro HDMI cable
- USB On the Go cable
- micro SD
- USB mouse!

An these are the steps:
- insert the micro SD into your Droid's external card slot
- plug your Droid to the HDMI display using the micro HDMI cable
- turn your Droid On
- plug your USB On the Go cable to your Droid
- plug your USB Mouse to the other End of the USB On the Go cable

After a few seconds, you will find a mouse pointer showing on the HDMI display.
You will be able to move the pointer, right click and drag as you would normally do with your fingers on the screen.
Then, input your PIN and unlock the screen.
After that you will be able to access your Internal Memory contents with the File Manager app of your preference.
Copy anything you need to the micro SD.
And finally - if needed, delete from the internal memory any of your contents you would rather not leave there (e.g: in case you are sending your Droid for Repair)

It worked really nice for me.

I hope this helps you too!

I tried this method and here's what happened: 1)bought the cable micro HDMI to regular HMDI at Best Buy for $40. (Yikes!) 2)plugged Droid into external HDMI capable display with above cable 3) the droid was already on because the green Message light was flashing 4)plugged the USB on the Go cable into Droid and here's the problem: 5)the 'USB mouse' has a hard wired cable attached with the wrong gender to plug into the other end of the on the go cable 6) no one at BestBuy or RadioShack had ever heard of a mouse with the other gender connector on it or a mouse without a cable hard wired. This is where this method ended for me. Is there such a mouse?Do I have the wrong kind of On theGo cable? This is so frustrating because the data is in the phone. I would just like to defeat the BS Droid OS and get my stuff! Phone is now at U Break/We Fix in Boulder. $60 to have screen replaced with a donor. I will keep everyone posted with results.

FredcBueno

Reaction score
It works

OK, I found this thread during my desperate search for a solution to my problem and this is the moment to give it back…
My situation (to help future Google searches): The touch screen of my Motorola Xoom is not responding (still trying to find a cause for that) and since I had the PIN code implemented I can’t even access the internal memory contents via PC connection. As all others I’ve wasted a LOT of time reading about ADB access only to find out it’s IMPOSSIBLE to have it unless “USB debugging” is on, something virtually nobody have enabled.

Now, the good news…

1- You do NOT need USB debugging activated to get a mouse (or a keyboard) working via OTG cable – You need USB Host Mode though but this standard in the current versions of android.
BTW, gravydavy you got the wrong kind of On the Go cable for sure. The USB OTG you want is micro USB on the phone side (or mini USB if that’s the connection you have for data – Xoom is mini for HDMI and micro for USB) and a FEMALE USB on the other (so you can plug in a regular USB mouse). Here’s a pic of one:
http://www.androidapps4u.com/temp/screenshot_3-usb-otg-cable.jpg

2- I even used a wireless mouse, something I thought it wouldn’t work but it did. The regular USB mouse is probably a safer choice though.

3- You only need the HDMI connection with a TV if either you have a cracked screen OR if you want a better view on the big screen. If the problem is simply unresponsive touch screen, just use the OTG cable/adapter and plug the mouse to replace the need for touch on your device.

mouse95338

Reaction score
Great video for picture retrieval on Razr HD

Here is a great youtube tutorial for getting your data(pictures, videos etc..) off your Droid RAZR HD. They used a micro HDMI cable and USB mouse. [video=youtube_share;B7Z_r0Z0CEo]http://youtu.be/B7Z_r0Z0CEo[/video]

JMont

Reaction score
JMont. Thank you for rocking it with these responses. SO helpful! I looked on my phone and I actually DON'T have the option you are talking about checked, so I'm not sure these suggestions are going to work for me either.

Over this holiday break I am going to take this phone to a local place to try to get the screen fixed and see what they have to say.
Did you have any luck?

This year is the busiest time for me at my current job so it has been difficult to move ahead on this project!!
I appreciate all the responses.

Sorry for the delay in responding. I wound up getting the screen replaced a few months back for $100 through a local guy. With the new screen on I went in and enabled USB debugging so that if I ever broke the screen again I could access the files with the HDMI output/USB mouse combo. Here's a link on how to enable USB debugging on the RAZR:

USB Debugging Mode - DROID RAZR / RAZR MAXX by MOTOROLA

Best of luck to all!

Mike Rupp

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
galaxy s4
Mine got broken as well, both touchscreen and digitizer - it's a RAZR HD (XT925) - and PIN protected.

Back in the days where Android used to support the Mass Storage Mode, solving this would have been as easy as plugging the phone to a PC with the USB cable.
But latest Android releases no longer support the Mass Storage Mode - replaced with MTP, and this is when media contents are not displayed on PCs until the PIN is entered.

I was about to give up searching for a solution to retrieve the contents of the internal memory when I thought that I was actually needing another pointing device.

Then I remember having read that within each of our Droids is a full featured Linux core, in most cases, containing many drivers for several devices.
So I decided to try the following:

These elements are needed:
- the wrecked Droid: it must support USB Host Mode (this comes right out of the box in stock version of the latest devices)
- HDMI capable external display
- micro HDMI cable
- USB On the Go cable
- micro SD
- USB mouse!

An these are the steps:
- insert the micro SD into your Droid's external card slot
- plug your Droid to the HDMI display using the micro HDMI cable
- turn your Droid On
- plug your USB On the Go cable to your Droid
- plug your USB Mouse to the other End of the USB On the Go cable

After a few seconds, you will find a mouse pointer showing on the HDMI display.
You will be able to move the pointer, right click and drag as you would normally do with your fingers on the screen.
Then, input your PIN and unlock the screen.
After that you will be able to access your Internal Memory contents with the File Manager app of your preference.
Copy anything you need to the micro SD.
And finally - if needed, delete from the internal memory any of your contents you would rather not leave there (e.g: in case you are sending your Droid for Repair)

It worked really nice for me.

I hope this helps you too!

Thank you for posting this. Against most recommendations from all my young genius friends I tried this and it worked. The only thing I'll add is that when you first hook everything up you have to give it some time before all the attached devices are recognized.
I never realized how much I used by phone as a camera until I was faced with loosing all the pictures and video's. I now save it all to a SD card instead of the phones internal memory.
Thank you again