Droid Razr Questions

Discussion in 'Droid RAZR' started by needadroid, Aug 6, 2012.

1. needadroid

needadroid New Member

hey so my Verizon contract ends it November and I am hoping to get the Droid Razr as an upgrade and here are my questions:

-Could I get an early upgrade in October?
    -Does anyone know when the Razr prices will go down? I'm hoping to get the phone in Oct. or Nov.?
    -Is the battery life for the phone reasonable?
    -What are good cases for the phone?
    -Are there good cases for lower than 25$ w/ shipping?
    - Are you happy with the Razr?

Thank you for your help!!
  2. Sydman

Sydman Premium Member Rescue Squad Premium Member

Welcome to the forum.

First two questions need to be directed towards Verizon, they will be able to tell you when you can upgrade.

If you are going Razr Maxx then that is the best battery life you will find in a phone out today, if you go regular Razr it is still good but going a full day would be your best option still have to charge every night.

Tons of cases, search TPU case for Droid Razr on Amazon they have good ones for under 8 bucks.

Razr/Razr Maxx are the best phones on the market, IMO.
  3. 94lt1

94lt1 DF Super Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

You probably could've gotten an early upgrade in june... you're gonna lose unlimited data.

The price of the maxx will probably be around 100$ in September/October, because the HD will be out around that time...

If you're gonna upgrade then.. just get a maxx.. IMHO.

Cases are of course subjective.. I like the otterbox defender...

This is just my opinion though :)
  4. 94lt1

Also, welcome to the droid forums :)
  5. MattyP

MattyP Rescue Squad Rescue Squad

If you upgrade before your "upgrade date" Verizon will charge you for an "early upgrade fee" ... they did that both times when I upgraded. I'm thinking it was 20 or 30 bucks. It's just another way for them to make an extra buck on something. :blink:
  6. joshxdroid

joshxdroid New Member

They charge you $30 no matter if it's early or not. At least they did on mine and mine was way past the contract end. Also i would go for the maxx as well. My guess of the hd is out by then, the maxx might be around $150 to $200. The extra battery would be more than worth the extra to me
  7. jackiescivic

jackiescivic Active Member

The $30 is an upgrade fee, no matter if you are upgrading early or after your contract end date. This fee was put into place April 22nd. As far as your upgrade date, if your contract end date is November, then you were eligible to upgrade sometime in July. They will also allow you to upgrade 7 days before your listed early upgrade date. Keep in mind that you will lose your unlimited data, if you have it, if you sign a new contract. If you are concerned with battery life, buy the Razr Maxx. Currently, at Costco, the Razr is $119.99 and the Maxx is $199.99. At Costco you also get an accessory bundle mail-in. For the Razr you get an HD dock, HDMI cable, and a portable battery charger. With the Maxx, you get an HD dock.
  8. cris

cris Member

If you have more then 2 lines look into that share everything plan. It saved me 75 a month. They gave me a 50$ discount for switching to 4g and that 30$ fee for me was a activation fee. Before my razr broke i was getting 19 hours on the battery at 20% left. Also get insurance on it. If you manage in any way to crack the screen the warrinty wont cover it. I just found out the hard way. It was 99$ thru the insurance. Thats better then 275$ that vzw will charge for a replacment. As for cases there are tons. From what iv read,otterbox is the way to go.
  9. CaptainSeth

CaptainSeth New Member

I've had my Maxx for a little over a week now, and I'm very happy with it now that I've trained the battery meter and customized the heck out of the smart actions.

I'm rocking an Otterbox Defender and my complaints with it is the screen protector adds an almost film grain like quality to the display, it looks dirty almost all the time when the display isn't on, and the rubber backing picks up more lint than my belly button. But these are all sacrifices I'm more than content to make for the protection.
  10. needadroid

needadroid New Member

If you go in to a Costco store, will the price for the Razr still be $119.99 or does it go back to its regular price of $199.99?
    Thanks for your help.. I didn't even know this phone was sold there!! :biggrin:
  11. needadroid

needadroid New Member

thanks for all the info you guys!! its been soooooo much help!! :biggrin:

keep posting more info, i need all that i can get

just to clarify, no matter when I update between now and November, I will still have to pay a fee to upgrade?
    and how much is this fee when i upgrade on-time and the price if i upgrade early?
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2012
  12. 94lt1

Wait until after Friday. The HD is being announced and the prices of the maxx and the razr will drop. Call it a hunch.
  13. needadroid

needadroid New Member

thx.. i didnt know that was when they were announcing it! What is the Razr HD supposed to do? Like what makes it better or more special than the others?
  14. cris

cris Member

Not sure about specs of the hd but i think it has 4.1 jelly bean.
  15. joshxdroid

joshxdroid New Member

As of the screen shots it had ice cream sandwich, but i would guess jelly bean may be on it by launch. To many RAZR customers don't want to go through the your device will be upgraded "soon" experience
  16. mysticalmalissa

mysticalmalissa New Member

I had one line that wasnt due to renew until the end of October. VZW offered me an early upgrade in May, gave me a Maxx free and waved my $30 upgrade free. They said I got it because I was upgrading from a 3G to 4G phone. I was a happy girl let me tell ya!
  17. 94lt1

I doubt it will have jb. It will more than likely have ics... a 4.5 inch HD display, snapdragon s4 processor, 2530 mah battery(non removable), it will have the on screen buttons, thicker than the maxx, same build type, camera... not sure...

The UI will probably be similar to the ATRIX..

This is all a guess...
  18. rjj9004

rjj9004 New Member

Also look at amazon or your local wall mart. They have the maxx for a very good price. Otter box defender case from amazon, love the case.
  19. jackiescivic

jackiescivic Active Member

I work at the wireless in Costco. As of Tuesday, thenprice of the Razr dropped to $89.99 for an upgrade and $79.99 for a new line. I believe the Maxx is going to be the coupon item for August, I would expect the price of that to drop at least $20 on the 16th. Not sure where the Razr will be priced though.

Personally, I dont see any point in the HD. The Maxx has 3300mAh battery, why would you want to go lower with the HD? If that is the case, I would just go with the S3 since it has 2100mAh
  20. 94lt1

The reason the HD will have the 2530 is because the snapdragon s4 is a much more efficient processor. The HD will probably last as long as the maxx.

We'll see soon :)

Also.. to me, the s3 feels too flimsy.:icon_ nono2:
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2012