Droid RAZR Overclocking?

Reaction score
I just bought a Droid RAZR on eBay and I was wondering if it can be overclocked with an app like SetCPU?

Thanks

akiles

Reaction score
I do not believe so. The current kernel only supports the following frequencies: 300, 600, 800, 1000 and 1200.
It will be very difficult to oc with a locked kernel. However, since there is safe-strap I believe it may be possible to have a different kernel on safe mode -not sure, check with a developer.

Rampant

Reaction score
does this mean you can underclock for better battery life?

Droid-Xer

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Not possible to overclock/undervolt a stock kernel with Motorola. You need an app like Android Overclock which I don't believe is compatible with the RAZR. Moto devices with locked bootloaders overclock/undervolt via scripts and not kernel changes.

Rampant

Reaction score
so.. how do I underclock the Razr? which app should I get?? is there a way of variable underclocking so while it is dormant it runs really slow clock and then ramps up on wake?

Droid-Xer

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Android naturally underclocks when dormant. Full processor speeds are achieved under task heavy use like HD games or multi-tasking. There is no app (that I'm aware of) that works on the RAZR to overclock or undervolt.

_base2

Reaction score
The razr CAN be overclocked, just not yet. They're still working over @ xda on loading the kernel module that allows OC without interfering with the kernel itself. It's been done for the Bionic but not yet finished for the razr afaik

[ sent from _base2 ]

jtpowell

Reaction score
Is this just a because you can? Really it's a dual core phone. The only thing I could see benefiting from overclocking is WebTop. Underclocking probably isn't necessary either.

Droid-Xer

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Undervolting can increase battery life. Stock voltage speeds ate quite high. Overclocking just makes things run smoother. Why not do it?

jtpowell

Reaction score
What isn't running smooth that can run smoother? It's like the person who can only type 20wpm wanting a faster word processor.

Droid-Xer

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
No, typing is dependent on skill. Increasing the processor speed makes screen transitions faster/smoother, scrolling through the app drawer faster/smoother and games run better as well.