Droid RAZR MAXX won't update

MVenter44

Reaction score
Hi, I have a DROID RAZR MAXX and I rooted it then changed the ROM for the color of the notification bar using MetaMorph. I made a very big mistake and didn't back my phone up before so. Although everything went okay with the switch, I went to download the update that was just put out but every time it just comes up with an error message and says the update failed. I believe this is because I changed a few ROMS on the device. Is there anywhere that i can download Android 2.3.6 (my current version) for the DROID RAZR MAXX, or if there are any solutions to my problem
Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Matt

JSM9872

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S22+
Welcome to Droid Forums

Unfortunately, I am not familiar with the Razr but I moved your thread to the Razr section so the pros can jump in and help you out.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Hi, I have a DROID RAZR MAXX and I rooted it then changed the ROM for the color of the notification bar using MetaMorph. I made a very big mistake and didn't back my phone up before so. Although everything went okay with the switch, I went to download the update that was just put out but every time it just comes up with an error message and says the update failed. I believe this is because I changed a few ROMS on the device. Is there anywhere that i can download Android 2.3.6 (my current version) for the DROID RAZR MAXX, or if there are any solutions to my problem
Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Matt

You'll want to download the DroidRazr Utility. This tool will allow you to Fastboot back to stock Gingerbread. Once done you'll be back on the upgrade path.

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=198379

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk with speech to text translation. Please excuse any minor grammatical/punctuation/spelling errors.

OP
M

MVenter44

Reaction score
You'll want to download the DroidRazr Utility. This tool will allow you to Fastboot back to stock Gingerbread. Once done you'll be back on the upgrade path.

[HACKS] UPDATED Droid RAZR Utility [WINDOWS]

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk with speech to text translation. Please excuse any minor grammatical/punctuation/spelling errors.

Thank you very much for your help, i have downloaded the software and the first option is "Restore Droid RAZR to 6.12.173" i assumed that was the correct option so then it said to make sure my RAZR is in "AP Fastboot mode" Any ideas how to do that? just too try it i went ahead to see if it worked anyway bu then it said "The system cannot find the path specified" i do have the motorola drivers and it wokring. my phone does ask if it should be in "PC Mode" "Windows Media Sync" "USB Mass Storage" or "Charge Only" If you have any idea on how to do this please help!
Matt

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
power it down completely

then power it on while holding volume-up and volume-down at the same time

within a couple of seconds a menu with white text should show up

use the volume-down to move on the menu, use volume-up to select "ap fastboot mode"

OP
M

MVenter44

Reaction score
power it down completely

then power it on while holding volume-up and volume-down at the same time

within a couple of seconds a menu with white text should show up

use the volume-down to move on the menu, use volume-up to select "ap fastboot mode"

Thank you, that is what i did but the same error keeps coming up

thaDroidz

Silver Member
Reaction score
are you in charge only?
with the phone on plug it in to pc. you should see the usb connect in the top menu select it and click charge only. also make sure "usb debugging mode" under manage apps/ developer is checked. power the phone down then try the steps for fastboot above.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Thank you, that is what i did but the same error keeps coming up

I think the error you're experiencing is related to the computer bat file not being able to find the necessary supporting files. Some people have this problem when they extract the files. Another problem is when people download the short version that doesn't have the Fastboot file. You need to be sure you've downloaded the full version which includes the Fastboot file.

OP
M

MVenter44

Reaction score
I think the error you're experiencing is related to the computer bat file not being able to find the necessary supporting files. Some people have this problem when they extract the files. Another problem is when people download the short version that doesn't have the Fastboot file. You need to be sure you've downloaded the full version which includes the Fastboot file.

Thank you. Do you happen to have a link for this?

OP
M

MVenter44

Reaction score
are you in charge only?
with the phone on plug it in to pc. you should see the usb connect in the top menu select it and click charge only. also make sure "usb debugging mode" under manage apps/ developer is checked. power the phone down then try the steps for fastboot above.

Yes I am in "charge only" mode and have usb debugging enabled. The i hold down the power button and both volume buttons until the screen with black and white lettering appears; i select "AP Fastboot" and it regognizes that there is a usb connected, for example, it says "OK to program, Transfer Mode: USB Connected

tyuan

Reaction score
Welcome to Droid Forums

Unfortunately, I am not familiar with the Razr but I moved your thread to the Razr section so the pros can jump in and help you out.

And where might that be?

jpcalhoun

Reaction score
And where might that be?
Update us on what system version you are on menu>settings>about phone. I've read this tread but just need to confirm what status your phone is in and what system version you have running. Then, we can go from there.