Droid Razr Maxx released already

RAZRblade

Reaction score
I vaguely remember reading on nvidias site that quad core would be possible this year, also plugging into a tv via hdmi would barely strain the battery. I could be remembering wrong...

Edit: http://www.nvidia.com/object/tegra-superchip.html

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Last edited:

satarecah

Reaction score
quad im thinking will be later this year and by then im just waiting for my upgrade in 2013 when there is a Samuel L. Jackson version of the droid out ;) if you catch my drift like pulp fiction not snakes on a plane >.>

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
I know that there's a way to open the DROID RAZR by prying the Kevlar backing. If I remember right, once you pry it off, the battery should be right there.... It's easier than taking the iPhone battery out.
Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

Correction, the battery is "removeable", but not designed to be "user replaceable".

The battery is immediately behind the Kevlar backing as you describe (and the YouTube video depicts), although it is essentially designed to be an integral part of the phone's "frame" by way of the double-sided tape securely affixing the Kevlar backing to it. The combination of the Kevlar and the battery - essentially fused into one common structure creates a very rigid connection to the phone's bezel (surrounding metal exterior), making the phone stiffer without adding any significant weight or thickness. This was all part of the cutting-edge laminate design that allowed such a thin profile while not sacrificing strength and durability by reducing case thickness but retaining resistance to flex. I have had one open and I can tell you that removing the back without damaging it or the tape was a long and difficult process. The video makes it look easy but that's likely because he (the video creator) has had that back off numerous times BEFORE doing the video, so the adhesive has lost a great percentage of its stickiness.

Now I know there will be those who will quickly jump in to say the phone is more succeptable to flex than a comparable (but much thicker) phone, and that's true, however if the phone were not designed with the "laminated" concept where each layer of the phone is physically attached to the next, it would be FAR MORE flexible at this thickness and succeptable to even more screen breaking.

As for replacing the battery on the fly, the electrical connections are NOT pressure sensitive tabs as are typically on phones with "user replaceable" batteries so the battery can't be completely removed by simply lifting the blue tape tab. Instead, the RAZR's battery contacts are actually threaded screw terminals which use TORX screws to physically affix the contacts to the motherboard via those screws. Using screw terminals allowed the battery to be an even tighter fit and further prevented any flexing of the phone and case. It also makes for a much less fail-prone connection so that unlike other batteries where over time the connections can become loose with repeated insertions and removals, the screw terminals are highly unlikely to work themselves loose, and if removed the new battery can be reaffixed with the same level of secure attachment.

The TORX screw size is likely either T5 or T3, meaning they are VERY SMALL, and the drivers themselves are hard to come by. You can't go to the typical hardware or tool store and purchase T3 or T5 drivers. This means, unless you carry around the required T3/T5 driver with your "spare", you will NOT be able to either do a "battery pull" OR replace if discharged. They are generally only available from electronic repair suppliers. You CAN get them off the web through dealers on eBay and other sources, but you may have to pay for shipping must wait the associated shipping timeframe, though they're rather inexpensive. I bought a repair kit for my D2 to replace the screen and bezel, and it actually came with a pair of T3 & T5 drivers as part of the kit, and the whole thing with bezel and screen glass was under $20.

Some other things to consider... With repeated removal and replacement of the back (which is attached by friction clips), you will eventually wear down the tiny plastic clips along the edges that hold the back in place, making the case looser over time. Also, the noise-cancelling microphone (bottom rear hole) is surrounded by a very delicate foam rubber grommet that is supposed to keep any air leakage between the back cover's hole and the microphone element from happening - thereby reducing the microphone's efficiency. By removing the back, you also run the risk of tearing that grommet, and I can tell you it would be nearly impossible for the average person to remove the damaged grommet and replace it. Then there's the double-sided tape on the battery that holds the back Kevlar tight. If you remove the cover, you expose the adhesive to dust, dirt, finger oils, etc., so unless you replace the adhesive as well, you may find the back is no longer tightly affixed to the battery and you will have effectively reduced the resistance to flex that was the purpose for the design.

I suspect that any dealer worth their salt who sells either replacement batteries or extended batteries for the RAZR would be kind enough to place the double-sided tape on the battery ahead of time and leave a removeable backing that you would lift off just prior to replacing the phone's Kevlar back. This further suggests that any battery replacement is likely only for replacing dead batteries which will no longer hold a sufficient charge. There could easily be an extended battery and back cover designed for the RAZR, and I am aware of at least one that is "coming soon". This may relieve the concern for the MAXX having been released with the 3,300mAh battery so soon after our RAZRs. There's plenty of room to add battery thickness without increasing the overall thickness of the phone to beyond its thickest part - the camera and speaker section at the top. The end result would be a phone with a flat back rather than one that dips inward as it does now.

*Edit: One more thing, we don't know how removing the back will impact the water resistance feature. It may be possible that by simply removing the back the very first time, you will have broken a thin film seal that was created along the back panel's seam where it meets the front bezel, effectively breeching the water protection and giving water a new path of least resistance.

Last edited:

Gleason81

Reaction score

bbro

Reaction score
From a previous Bionic owner, I feel like some of you guys don't get Motorola. There was so much hype about the Bionic then the Razr was announced. I'm not mad that there's something new out there, I'm mad that the resale value of my razr will dramatically drop.

Motorola is cool and all, but this isn't the best way to treat some of your most loyal customers. The value on my bionic dropped immensely when the razr was released. Wait until the Maxx is released, the razr will be selling for 200-250 on eBay.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
From a previous Bionic owner, I feel like some of you guys don't get Motorola. There was so much hype about the Bionic then the Razr was announced. I'm not mad that there's something new out there, I'm mad that the resale value of my razr will dramatically drop.

Motorola is cool and all, but this isn't the best way to treat some of your most loyal customers. The value on my bionic dropped immensely when the razr was released. Wait until the Maxx is released, the razr will be selling for 200-250 on eBay.

What did you pay for it? I'd bet you got it in an upgrade for about 300? I don't hear people complain nearly as much about their cars losing thousands of dollars in value the day they drive it off the lot!

bbro

Reaction score
What did you pay for it? I'd bet you got it in an upgrade for about 300? I don't hear people complain nearly as much about their cars losing thousands of dollars in value the day they drive it off the lot!

I made a trade with someone. But car manufacturers don't release 3 models of a car within a year.

Anyways.. I see why people are frustrated. Instead of releasing a bionic. Razr, razr maxx it may not have killed to just release one killer hyped up phone in January.

Just an opinion.

neverexisted

Reaction score
http://www.gsmarena.com/verizon_announces_galaxy_tab_lte_motorola_droid_4-news-3649.php

3300mAh battery, nuff said.

Androidatic

Reaction score
Glad I got the nexus...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

Why, so the Maxx is even better than it than the Razr?

Back on point though.....

What is the difference between Moto putting out another device and HTC putting out a better device?

Phones will constantly be improved so why does it matter who builds it? Whether the next phone is a Razr Maxx, an HTC Better Than Rezound or Galaxy S3, the next phone will be better than what we have right now. Just be happy that Moto is looking to improve their products, that's more than what some other companies are doing.

If you wait for the next big thing you'll never get a new phone. Besides, 6 months from now the Razr & Maxx, the Rezound and the GN will be old tech when compared to quad core chips, 2 GB of RAM, 16 MP cameras and better batteries than we have now.

Now, let's just hope that the next Nexus is a Moto and not a Samsung or HTC.

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Why, so the Maxx is even better than it than the Razr?

Back on point though.....

What is the difference between Moto putting out another device and HTC putting out a better device?

Phones will constantly be improved so why does it matter who builds it? Whether the next phone is a Razr Maxx, an HTC Better Than Rezound or Galaxy S3, the next phone will be better than what we have right now. Just be happy that Moto is looking to improve their products, that's more than what some other companies are doing.

If you wait for the next big thing you'll never get a new phone. Besides, 6 months from now the Razr & Maxx, the Rezound and the GN will be old tech when compared to quad core chips, 2 GB of RAM, 16 MP cameras and better batteries than we have now.

Now, let's just hope that the next Nexus is a Moto and not a Samsung or HTC.

I believe the reason is the Razr just came out 2 months ago and they're already releasing a better version of the same phone essentially. I don't think anyone would argue that advancement is always good, but it looks like they could have easily pushed a bit harder and got the Razr Maxx out within 2-3 weeks of when the Razr came out, which would have given Razr owners a device with much better battery life, a very important factor with LTE devices.

Since the battery is non-upgrade-able/removable, it's a pretty big improvement over the original to have a 3300mAh battery.

jdroid80

Reaction score
Better device? Its same phone with an extended battery. Some people buy extended batteries, some don't want added weight/bulk.