DROID RAZR MAXX LOW MIC PROBLEM FIXED!! if who your calling cant hear you READ THIS!!

Izuk

Reaction score
Ok guys, after searching various sites, forums, threads, i have had no luck finding a real solution to a problem that seems to affect alot of Razrs and razr maxx's.
I bought a razr maxx off ebay and while calling people i could hear them just fine, but they could only hear me if i
A. Yelled into the mic
B. Used a bluetooth device
C. Had the speakerphone on
I had to register on this forum in an attempt to get the fix out there!
Searched all over and have heard everything from software, verizion, ics, and even the sim card being to blam.
Tryed all the fixes on the web, new sim, several factory restores ect. Ect.

So here it is, i bought a set of precision torx driver tool and decied to take the phone apart myself, following one of the many videos on you tube on dismantling the razr . And fyi, the razr maxx is little a different inside. But i got it apart anyway.

The razr maxx has two mic's as most of you probably know. The front
Mic oviosly for calls, and the rear mic for speakerphone.
The problem turns out, is the little double sided sticky tape dust cover that goes between the mic and the back of the phones screen. It had seemingly melted/got distorted and was actuly covering the tiny hole in the microphone chip.
After removing that tiny peice of messed up tape the phone now works perfectly!

Isaac

Last edited:

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Welcome to the forum, nice first post. Might want to add as an FYI for people that might not know, opening your phone like that voids any warranty you have with Verizon/Motorola.

OP
I

Izuk

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum, nice first post. Might want to add as an FYI for people that might not know, opening your phone like that voids any warranty you have with Verizon/Motorola.

Yes! Absolutely!
Thank you for that, and also the warm welcome.!
I bought mine on ebay so i could keep my unlimited data plan, but yes if you have a warranty it will void it.
Another thing if anyone besides myself isnt thrilled at the thought of a "non accessible battery" and worried about it going bad.
As long as the lipo is avalible, its really not hard at all to change. You only need two tools to access the battery.

kq702

Reaction score
Great info. Also just wanted to note that just because you purchase a phone on ebay does not mean it does not have a warranty. If it was manufactured less then a year ago even if you are not the original owner, you can still send it to the manufacturer for warranty repair, if any defect is noted as long as the mfg date is within a year.

snowboardwcu

Reaction score
Aaaaand this just saved me a ton of troubleshooting and time. Was exactly my problem. Had just replaced digitizer and got some schmutz on the mic hole. Working perfectly now' thanks so much for the post

OP
I

Izuk

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I still get a lot of emails on this asking for further information.
Here is a link to a video I found on YouTube that seems to go over disassembly fairly well. There are some differences between the regular RAZR and the maxx. But there fairly self explanatory once your in there.
From what I remember after the battery was out and the rear outter frame was off I only had to partially seperate the screen to get to the front mic. They show the use of a guitar pic, great idea, there is an actuly "cell phone disassembly tool" but a pic or a very small flat head screw driver will get the job done as well.
Phone still works great to this day.

[video=youtube;iQ818j6qT7g]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQ818j6qT7g&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/video]