Droid Razr Maxx - ICS - Stock Camera App doesn't Initialize

popo127

Reaction score
Just as the title states; I can't access my camera.

Notes:

Soft reset (battery pull) and hard reset (Factory reset) did not fix this.

I downloaded another Camera app and it says "Can't Connect to Camera"

Any ideas?

Thanks for your help.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Is it possible that you disabled your camera? Check settings, Apps, scroll along the top bar to choose "All"... find the camera app (if it is disabled, it will be listed towards the bottom), open camera. If it shows "Enable" then it is disabled. Click on enable to get it working again.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Droid Forums

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
You could also try to restart your phone to see if they will get it going.

OP
P

popo127

Reaction score
Restarting (many times) has not helped. Also the camera app is enabled (note that within settings after I open the camera non of the objects are clickable).

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
It sounds like when you installed ICS that it did not complete initiating all the apps. Usually when that happens, a restart will initiate the apps that didn't on install. The only suggestion I can think of is to do a fdr. I am guessing you are not rooted. If so then it could involve something different.

OP
P

popo127

Reaction score
hat is an fdr? If the app failed to correctly update why cant i run other camera apps? And no, the phone is notbrootrd. Thank you for your help

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
I am sure an fdr will solve your problem. It seems to be the one sure thing that has solved almost all ICS problems.

It must be that the other camera apps don't work because they rely on the stock camera app to do some of their functions... although I am just guessing but seems to make the most sense.

OP
P

popo127

Reaction score
I am sure an fdr will solve your problem. It seems to be the one sure thing that has solved almost all ICS problems.

It must be that the other camera apps don't work because they rely on the stock camera app to do some of their functions... although I am just guessing but seems to make the most sense.

What is an fdr?

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Oh sorry. Easy way to say factory data reset (or restore). It wipes your phone and returns it to stock, like out of the box.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
I notice your original post said you did a factory reset but you may actually have to do another one. For some reason it seems as though things did not load or initiate properly.

OP
P

popo127

Reaction score
I notice your original post said you did a factory reset but you may actually have to do another one. For some reason it seems as though things did not load or initiate properly.

Didnt work

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Whoa! It sounds like a software problem by maybe it is related to a hardware problem. You may have to get a replacement phone (certified like new replacement clnr) under warranty. Call verizon. Explain the measures you have taken so far. They will probably ask you to do an fdr but let them know you have already done that twice. After they have exhausted ideas to fix the problem (usually that is once they suggest the fdr), they will order a replacement to be sent.

chinbongthai

Reaction score
Popo - I'm in a similar boat, post upgrade to ICS whenever I try and use my camera the phone locks up, says camera not responding, I tell it to close, phone reboots, gets stuck at small droid logo rom/bios screen. Tonight it took about 8 hard resets just to get phone working again. I am thinking I should have removed any third party camera apps prior to upgrade. Hopefully, update fixes, or it's a factory reset for me, then upgrade, good times. I really dug this phone until I was getting the update shoved down my throat.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Sometimes on the fdr, doing 2 in a row will settle things down. First try going into manage apps, camera, clear data and force close it.