droid razr maxx hd is a piece of CRAP

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
Hey da2zoe, I am pretty sure we are keeping our cool. Jimmy and I have an understanding. LOL He knows I am not really *****ing AT him. I am not. No worries. We aren't angry.

And sadly Jimmy it isn't that easy.
First off they won't give you a BRAND NEW one it will be a refurb. Second you can call them and they will just send it to you.
If you store all your contacts in Gmail they WILL be restored. Your apps will be available to download but will not download automatically. The app data will not be restored (the level you are on in Angry Birds for example).
Your text message will not be restored (yes, that is an enormous advantage Apple has over Android). Of course there is an app for that but I have yet to find one that works flawlessly.

As you may recall my phone was messed up when I got it. I was issued a refurb. I used an app to restore my text messages but it sucked so I just wound up deleting them. These are Android shotcomings, not Moto's. (Although the new Samsungs have a built in app that transfers EVERYTHING to a new device. Bravo Sammy).

Don't fear a refurb. Mine looked brand new. A refurb usually gets a new battery and screen and any other parts that need repaired.
Personally I would return a phone again and again until I got one that worked (if, for example, your refurb has a problem). You have one year from purchase date to do this. After that you are stuck with it.
I won't settle for issues with a, as you like to point out, a $600 device.
There is no text message I need to keep that badly and I save any pic messages I want when I receive them (to my SD card, thank god for that).

da2zoe

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy Note 7
Hey da2zoe, I am pretty sure we are keeping our cool. Jimmy and I have an understanding. LOL He knows I am not really *****ing AT him. I am not. No worries. We aren't angry.

And sadly Jimmy it isn't that easy.
First off they won't give you a BRAND NEW one it will be a refurb. Second you can call them and they will just send it to you.
If you store all your contacts in Gmail they WILL be restored. Your apps will be available to download but will not download automatically. The app data will not be restored (the level you are on in Angry Birds for example).
Your text message will not be restored (yes, that is an enormous advantage Apple has over Android). Of course there is an app for that but I have yet to find one that works flawlessly.

As you may recall my phone was messed up when I got it. I was issued a refurb. I used an app to restore my text messages but it sucked so I just wound up deleting them. These are Android shotcomings, not Moto's. (Although the new Samsungs have a built in app that transfers EVERYTHING to a new device. Bravo Sammy).

Don't fear a refurb. Mine looked brand new. A refurb usually gets a new battery and screen and any other parts that need repaired.
Personally I would return a phone again and again until I got one that worked (if, for example, your refurb has a problem). You have one year from purchase date to do this. After that you are stuck with it.
I won't settle for issues with a, as you like to point out, a $600 device.
There is no text message I need to keep that badly and I save any pic messages I want when I receive them (to my SD card, thank god for that).

Good to hear! Thank you for your response...just looking out for everyone. This is a very large site and we don't know each member as well as we often do on sister forums dedicated to one device.

Also very good advice. Jimmy, hope you get things worked out soon. I remember going through several refurbs with my Fascinate several years ago. Turns out it was actually a problem with the OTA that was sent out globally. Wow, that was a mess. And yes, don't settle as irritating as it can gets...unfortunately many have found it takes several calls to customer service. I'd like to know what kind of training those people get because most of the time their "technical" support is not helpful. They always go back to the good ole factory reset advice when that is not the issue and won't do any good anyway. If it didn't fix the problem after the first or second try, it's not going to do anything. Oiy. That's where these forums are super excellent because of so many experienced members that can help with "actual" guidance.

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
OK maybe it is Gorilla Glass but just not AS scratch proof as the older Droid was. My phone took a BAD BAD fall today. I was nervous to pick it up and look at the screen. It was fine. :D

jimmythegent

Reaction score
OK maybe it is Gorilla Glass but just not AS scratch proof as the older Droid was. My phone took a BAD BAD fall today. I was nervous to pick it up and look at the screen. It was fine. :D

Thanks Pere. I guess I'll get a refurb. Just blows. Not as worried now getting a replacement. But Its like a song "don't fear the refurb" lol

jfriend33

Reaction score
Holy cow I've never seen someone so dissatisfied with a phone. When did you get this phone? You do realize it's almost a year old right?

Luckily you have a carrier with the most inconsistent customer service in the biz. This will work out in your favor if you play your cards right.

You need to take some initiative and go to a Verizon store, not some crappy authorized retailer either, a corporate store. You need to play around with all of the phones. Plan on spending at least an hour maybe two.

I would make a list of the features you need and start comparing. Find the phone you like. The galaxy note 3 is coming out next month maybe that's what you need? Maybe play with the DROID MAXX.

I was willing to sacrifice the camera quality on the Samsung, because the Motorola DROID RAZR MAXX takes better video, has a better radio for reception, a better build quality, and most importantly a battery that only needs charging every other day with heavy use.

If Verizon won't assist you with changing devices, sell your phone on swappa. Find a replacement elsewhere. You should be able to change phones without extending your contract for at most two hundred dollars out of pocket. Good luck.

rcglider

Reaction score
LOL! Funny how some people call a phone a piece of junk, others love them. My Maxx HD has been great. My co-worker bought a S4 and absolutely hates it because he sees how long my phone works without recharging. And, mine has an HDMI port, he has to buy a dongle.

Sorry to hear your phone isn't working well, but I really like mine so far; wouldn't trade it for a Galaxy S3 or S4 for any reason. I should note mine is rooted, not unlocked, and having much experience with Moto phones I've learned how to tweak to get the most battery life out them. That helps.

Reaction score
I have the HD and the s4 , I am very impressed with the battery life on the s4 , full day an a half of heavy use ....quad core 5 inch 1080 screen can't beat it...

lloydsw

Reaction score
I have the HD and the s4 , I am very impressed with the battery life on the s4 , full day an a half of heavy use ....quad core 5 inch 1080 screen can't beat it...

The quad core is the only thing the S4 has that gives me 'device envy'.

rexall

Reaction score
my Razr Maxx HD is a great phone.

lol, No I was saying that even with the quad core and bigger , higher resolution screen, battery life has been great...

I love my Droid Razr Maxx HD.its been a super phone for me camera sucks but everything else about the phone is really excellent.I haven't had any problems with it yet. and it is not rooted. I had the Droid Razr Maxx before this one and it was a great phone. Have a great day.

mboswell

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note 3
I don't consider the RAZR Maxx HD a piece of junk at all. The cameras not great, but the battery life is, the phone is fast and works well for me. I'm sorry if you had problems with your phone, but that doesn't mean every RAZR Maxx HD is horrible.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX HD using Droid Forums

jimmythegent

Reaction score
I don't consider the RAZR Maxx HD a piece of junk at all. The cameras not great, but the battery life is, the phone is fast and works well for me. I'm sorry if you had problems with your phone, but that doesn't mean every RAZR Maxx HD is horrible.

The phone isnt a piece of crap, per se, but it definitely is not a "Premium Smart Phone".

Go play with an HTC One. Then come back to me. This phone is always buggy and laggy unless you clear the cache (fun) and dont download ANY free apps, they are all loaded with spy and adware.

If I had to back in time, I would have picked the GS3 instead.

mboswell

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note 3
The phone isnt a piece of crap, per se, but it definitely is not a "Premium Smart Phone".

Go play with an HTC One. Then come back to me. This phone is always buggy and laggy unless you clear the cache (fun) and dont download ANY free apps, they are all loaded with spy and adware.

If I had to back in time I would have picked the GS3 instead.

I can come back to you right now. First, I never said this phone was the premium smartphone...but its not horrible at all. Now, I tried HTC One and didn't get it because I don't do HTC. I I don't think HTC is as user friendly as Motorola is. That's just my opinion...people may disagree, I don't care. I have plenty of free apps on my phone and don't have any problems and I don't clear the cache...I don't even know how to do that. You want to go and pick up the gs3 go right ahead but I think there's a lot of people that are happy with this Razr Maxx HD. I'm sorry you're not one of them.