droid razr maxx hd is a piece of CRAP

bandaid61

Reaction score
Moved from another carrier after 20+ years. Verizon rep recommended mass HD. I previously had an S3. Worst mistake of my life. HD freezes, have to reboot offer. Options that are standard on S3 are not even available for HD. Verizon support is a joke, even if you can get them on the phone. Went back to sales rep that I bought 4 phones and left $600.00 out of pocket when we switched. Told him my problem. His solution was to offer to sale me an S3 for $600.00 and give me $130.00 trade in for my HD. WISH I HAD NEVER MOVED. 2.5 MONTHS INTO MY 2 YEAR CONTRACT THAT WILL NOT BE RENEWED!!!

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
I've never heard of ANY Android phone that FROZE until it was rebooted. Really? And the VZW rep didn't exchange that for you?
My boss has a MAXX. Never has a single problem with it. I wish I would have got the MAXX instead of the HD.
Agree about VZW service.
What "Standard options" are available on the (bloated) S3 that you don't have on the RAZR?

jimmythegent

Reaction score
Moved from another carrier after 20+ years. Verizon rep recommended mass HD. I previously had an S3. Worst mistake of my life. HD freezes, have to reboot offer. Options that are standard on S3 are not even available for HD. Verizon support is a joke, even if you can get them on the phone. Went back to sales rep that I bought 4 phones and left $600.00 out of pocket when we switched. Told him my problem. His solution was to offer to sale me an S3 for $600.00 and give me $130.00 trade in for my HD. WISH I HAD NEVER MOVED. 2.5 MONTHS INTO MY 2 YEAR CONTRACT THAT WILL NOT BE RENEWED!!!

WOW, you blew my negativity out of the water but, I saw this post coming eventually. This phone really does kinda blow, I always say its saving grace is the battery, which, for some reason lately, doesnt seem to be the battery I remember.

For example, Yahoo! recently updated their app, after it dissapeared off my home screen, I go into apps, try to drag and drop it onto the home screen (or anywhere) and realized I cant even move it. Other apps, yes, but not this one.

I would say this phone has more fails than completes. The bloatware is simply inexcusable, I mean, there are apps that are no longer even accessible. Helloooooo??? Uh, Verizon? Update your friggin phones to rid of software you cant even use anymore!

Other thing, need the ringer and sounds quiet? Good luck using only the Volume Rocker, you have to go into Settings -> Volumes and do them all individually. Really? Seriously?

Its always using up about 90% of the memory, which is a measly 1GB, the camera blows chunks indoors, which part of the reason someone gets a smartphone is to rid themselves of another camera, this phone fails on that, thankfully my wife has an iPhone so when we go to events, indoors, she is the one who has to take pics.

As for freezing, had that happen twice (yes Pere, twice, per it just sat there doing nothing and this is NOT a an uncommon occurrence, look it up!), but as far as clunkiness, this thing is the Tin Man without oil. People say my phone is defective yet I hear many others complain of the same issues. I think its just ones expectations and mine were too high, I thought a premium $700 phone would be nice, thought wrong.

Oh and gotta love when you leave this thing next to a speaker, like on your desk, every time its "doing something" God knows what - the computer speaker starts hissing at me. And for "4G" speed, uh, I guess, if this is quick, then I am slow.

And root it? LOL, a) the point of Android ORIGINALLY was to compete with Apples locked down iOS (please, dont correct me on this, its a fact) and b) I am not ruining my warranty, I already fear this thing will start sparking and catch fire by itself.

Now with that being said, I would get it warrantied, but then what? Its not an iPhone were they sent you a unit, you plug it in, and everything, INCLUDING apps is restored. And NO I dont want any iPhone, just gimme what I paid for.

And to get things done you have to constantly download spyware riddled apps. Example, WTF is "Warring", some game my phone keeps telling me I have update... NO WARE visible on my phone is such a game nor would I download a game onto this phone, I did have Fruit Ninja, but guess what? If I swiped to far it would hit one of the home buttons freezing the game or exiting, FAIL.

I had NO contract with Verizon, till I got this phone, now I am stuck with this already outdated phone for another year and a half or sell it and but another phone. Never with any of my "dumb phones" did I feel "compelled" to get a new phone.

Lesson learned.

jimmythegent

Reaction score
I've never heard of ANY Android phone that FROZE until it was rebooted. Really? And the VZW rep didn't exchange that for you?
My boss has a MAXX. Never has a single problem with it. I wish I would have got the MAXX instead of the HD.
Agree about VZW service.
What "Standard options" are available on the (bloated) S3 that you don't have on the RAZR?

Something is strange... never had, in 9 years, a problem with Verizons customer service. Never needed really to reach out to them unless it was bill related and they always took care of me. I wish they would really take care of me and offer some sort of buy back on the phone or they can at least release some sort of update that rids it of its useless bloatware.

And lately, some apps have been just "stopping working", greeaaattt......

Caesars

Reaction score
I never had the maxx hd but I did have the maxx (awesome phone), not every phone will be a home run.... Sucks you're having such a bad experience :-(.

GS4/iPhone5

jamjr74

Reaction score

Just sell it and buy an s3 or s4. U could probably do an even swap on Craigslist for am s3.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

jermort

Reaction score
Hmmm, perhaps you should sell your hd maxx on ebay and purchase a limited iphone 5. I'm sure the apple geniuses will just make you really content.

just kidding.

I've had my MAXX HD since is was available and am very satisfied with the thing. Sure some of the hardware (camera) could be better, but I usually use a dedicated camera for important pictures. I reboot my phone about once every 2 weeks just to clean things up. I've had an app or two crash, but force close always takes care of that.

You didn't say what apps were crashing, any help there?? More specifics other than a rant could result in some positive aid to your issues.

just sayin! :cool:

tech_head

Silver Member
Reaction score
I have the Razr HD (same phone, different battery).
Running stock (rooted and bootloader unlocked though) and don't have any of the issues that folks here are complaining about.
Phone doesn't freeze and the Yahoo app can be moved anywhere on the home screen including folders.

Turning the volume down? The rocker works fine for me....
If there is a real problem with freezing and reboots, clear the cache.

A corrupted cache can cause issues. Also if you have gotten an OTA, clear the cache.

bweN diorD

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
G2
I have the Razr HD (same phone, different battery).
Running stock (rooted and bootloader unlocked though) and don't have any of the issues that folks here are complaining about.
Phone doesn't freeze and the Yahoo app can be moved anywhere on the home screen including folders.

Turning the volume down? The rocker works fine for me....
If there is a real problem with freezing and reboots, clear the cache.

A corrupted cache can cause issues. Also if you have gotten an OTA, clear the cache.

ditto,
mine works great too.

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
This phone gets a three outta five. Nuff said

Because for the 50th time YOUR PHONE IS BROKEN! For ****s sake, Jimmy, GET A REPLACEMENT. I don't have ANY of the problems you have.
The VOL Rocker? As someone else already said WORKS FINE FOR ME. When I turn down the volume EVERYTHING goes silent.
No problem moving my Yahoo App.
I have no idea what "bloatware" you are talking about that is no longer accessible. Oh... maybe because I disabled most of it? Thank you Google.
or maybe: YOUR PHONE IS BROKEN.
And you can't blame "Spyware riddled app" on your phone. That's YOUR fault. ;)
5 years of Android ownage I have not once downloaded any spyware.
Now I am not a raving fan boi. I do have a few issues I could complain about.
I give it a 4 out of 5.
Things I don't like:
The glass. No way is this Gorilla Glass. As I said before I took my keys to my first Droid1 MANY times to show people how scratch proof it was. Tried that once on this: scratch.
The Stock software does have SLIGHT lag. Not unusable. Not "piss me off so muchable". But slight, yes.
The Antennas take to long to switch between 4g and 3g. Not a big issue but annoying when I am playing Ingress.
I don't like, as someone said, that Moto switched the SD Card storage to MTP instead of MSC. But it's better then no SD Card like the 3 phones that have replaced these. This will be the last Moto with SD Cards. And as a result my last Moto. I don't care if they make a phone that pours hot coffee out of the headphone jack.

I think that's about it. My "likes" list is MUCH longer. ;)

\\EDIT\\
One more DISlike. Auto Brightness. Sucks. It's never quite bright enough for me in any situation so I have to leave it off.
Probably an Android thing and not so much this phone though.

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
I think I know what your volume issue might be.
If you are in the Music app and lower the volume, the ringer will not be affected. This is a FEATURE. A pretty sweet feature actually.

BUT if you are on the HOMESCREEN and VOL DOWN all the way it mutes EVERYTHING.

bweN diorD

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
G2
Because for the 50th time YOUR PHONE IS BROKEN! For ****s sake, Jimmy, GET A REPLACEMENT. I don't have ANY of the problems you have.
The VOL Rocker? As someone else already said WORKS FINE FOR ME. When I turn down the volume EVERYTHING goes silent.
No problem moving my Yahoo App.
I have no idea what "bloatware" you are talking about that is no longer accessible. Oh... maybe because I disabled most of it? Thank you Google.
or maybe: YOUR PHONE IS BROKEN.
And you can't blame "Spyware riddled app" on your phone. That's YOUR fault. ;)
5 years of Android ownage I have not once downloaded any spyware.
Now I am not a raving fan boi. I do have a few issues I could complain about.
I give it a 4 out of 5.
Things I don't like:
The glass. No way is this Gorilla Glass. As I said before I took my keys to my first Droid1 MANY times to show people how scratch proof it was. Tried that once on this: scratch.
The Stock software does have SLIGHT lag. Not unusable. Not "piss me off so muchable". But slight, yes.
The Antennas take to long to switch between 4g and 3g. Not a big issue but annoying when I am playing Ingress.
I don't like, as someone said, that Moto switched the SD Card storage to MTP instead of MSC. But it's better then no SD Card like the 3 phones that have replaced these. This will be the last Moto with SD Cards. And as a result my last Moto. I don't care if they make a phone that pours hot coffee out of the headphone jack.

I think that's about it. My "likes" list is MUCH longer. ;)

\\EDIT\\
One more DISlike. Auto Brightness. Sucks. It's never quite bright enough for me in any situation so I have to leave it off.
Probably an Android thing and not so much this phone though.

+1 to all that :)

i wasnt happy with the auto bright either, i use this https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.vito.lux&hl=en
it works much better and if you are in a situation where the screen isn't bright enough, you can set a "link" between the ambient light and what you want the brightness to be, and it will use it as a new reference. takes a few seconds to make a new link.
i set 2-3 links and haven't had a problem since.
its like auto bright but smarter.

jimmythegent

Reaction score
Ok. So if I bring my phone (with box and all that came with it) they will give me a brand spanking new in the box phone? And all I have to is go to google and it will restore my phone just like it was? Serious question. Or do I have to jump through hoops? Serious question. And Pere.. Your still a cantaloupe. You have the patience like I've never seen. Good guy you are.

da2zoe

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy Note 7
Hey everyone...we all get frustrated at one point or another with our phones and gadgets, especially when we have no other recourse but to contact customer service. I have been on the receiving end of what I consider to actually be customer non-service. However, let's remember to keep our cool. We are here to support one another even when we feel frustrated, but nothing is ever accomplished with increasing levels of rants and the forum equivalent of yelling. Keep it cool everyone or this thread will be closed.