Droid Razr max or Nexus

lostinsc

Reaction score
I'm going to get a new phone and not sure what phone to get. I have a Droid X2 right now and not sure what way to go. I have had Motorola's for a long time but the Nexus has caught my eye. I do not plan on rooting the phone so I would like some ideas on what you think is the better phone. And the even bigger question,,, should I wait till the summer to see what new phones are coming out?

smalltowngirl13

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force 2
Twitter
smalltownlife13
Both are great phones - I currently use both and the Maxx is my favorite when it comes to daily use mostly due to signal strength...the gNex tho is a modder's dream (I know you indicated that you don't wish to root) but it is truly a great phone to have fun with.

Battery life on my Maxx is great, screen on full brightness is very nice but the gNex does have a nice screen as well.

If you get some hands on time, definitely play around with both of them. And there is always a great phone lurking around the corner LOL...

Bang Pow Boom

Reaction score
Many people, including myself, have gone through many Gnexs' with bad reception issues.

Personally, if I had a upgrade, I'd try (easier said than done) to wait for the Galaxy SIII.

If you search around the forums you will see many heated threads comparing the Maxx to the GNex (some are pretty entertaining)

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Like STG said, both are great phones, just depends on what you're looking for.

If you're into the whole rooting/ROMing scene, the Nexus is hands down the phone for that, imo. However, if you're going stock for stock, bit harder to compare and really depends on what you want in your phone. Nothing beats vanilla android imo, and the Nexus is the only phone to offer that.

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo
Hello!

My situation parallels lostinsc's. Currently, I have a Motorola Pro (running 2.3.4), thinking about "upgrading" in a matter of months (maybe this coming fall or winter) to either the Razr/Razr Maxx or Galaxy Nexus. The operant term here is "thinking" - I'm quite comfortable with what I've got now and only wondering if I can get something even better.

I got the Pro for its business orientation and external keyboard - the latter really helps me work with my phone.

My concerns are:

(1) Ice Cream Sandwich. I have no idea when or if the Pro will even get Honeycomb let alone ICS. My understanding is that both the Razr/Razr Maxxs and Galaxy Nexus' either have ICS or will get it in a matter of months if not weeks.

(2) 4G. Mine runs on 3G. Given that I may want to videoconference, send my own videos and receive clients'/prospective clients' and others' videos, it may help to have a 4G.

(3) Front-facing camera, for both videoconferencing and security (certain security apps will take a picture on command - that's useful if the phone is lost or stolen).

I use it for business and for keeping in touch with family and friends; I don't play games (literal or figurative), nor do I plan to do so.

Finally, I don't root. I know the limits of my competence and plan to stay within them.

Any thoughts you might have would be much appreciated. Thank you!

Jeff Deutsch

syndicate0017

Silver Member
Reaction score
^^^
If you aren't rooting, go with the Maxx. You'll be thankful for the battery life alone. The Maxx is an excellent phone and if Moto wasn't so locked down, I may have reconsidered my decision to go with the Nexus.

rherron

Reaction score
Honeycomb is for tablets. Your Pro won't be getting it.

I had a Pro. Liked it a lot. But I love my RAZR.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Droid Forums

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo
Syndicate0017 and rherron, thank you very much!

Syndicate0017, you said that "if Moto wasn't so locked down, I may have reconsidered my decision to go with the Nexus" - what do you mean by that?

Cheers!

Jeff Deutsch

syndicate0017

Silver Member
Reaction score
Syndicate0017 and rherron, thank you very much!

Syndicate0017, you said that "if Moto wasn't so locked down, I may have reconsidered my decision to go with the Nexus" - what do you mean by that?

Cheers!

Jeff Deutsch

Moto encrypts their boot loaders which makes it incredibly difficult for devs to put out ROMs and other hacks. If you aren't rooting then it doesn't matter to you.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo
Great point about the RAZR Maxx's battery life, btw. The reviews all rave about that.

Is the RAZR Maxx much more energy-efficient, or does it just take in that much more power while recharging? (If it were a car, would it have much higher MPG or just a larger gas tank?)

Thank you very much!

Jeff Deutsch

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score
Great point about the RAZR Maxx's battery life, btw. The reviews all rave about that.

Is the RAZR Maxx much more energy-efficient, or does it just take in that much more power while recharging? (If it were a car, would it have much higher MPG or just a larger gas tank?)

Thank you very much!

Jeff Deutsch

It just has a bigger battery. (Bigger gas tank in your analogy)