Droid Razr M factory reset question.

ClarkyDaub

Reaction score
I just recently mustered the courage to root my droid RAZR m and now it seems like prior to doing so I may have screwed something up. Now my question is this, if I factory reset my phone will I then need to reroot it or will it stay rooted after the reset?

OP
C

ClarkyDaub

Reaction score
Well this is now a an unnecessary question I just had an upgrade an lost it anyway

bigbadwulff

Reaction score
"a an"....covering all bases :)
Plenty of posts here to get you where you need to be if you want to root.....again.

bweN diorD

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
G2
Well this is now a an unnecessary question I just had an upgrade an lost it anyway

if you didn't already have the bootloader unlocked, and you lost root during the update, you can not get it back at this time.
sorry :(

OP
C

ClarkyDaub

Reaction score
Umm I think I had the boot loader unlocked how would I know for sure? And I'm not even sure that will matter now because after the update I had to perform a factory reset due to a complication I caused. I had been using my X-Box 360 to play the videos from my phone on my TV and in an attempt to free up storage space to make more room for movies I must have deleted a file required to make that possible because after my file deleting party my X-Box stopped being able to locate files that previously showed up as soon as I activated to video player. It was still finding and recognizing the folder that said videos were in, but once the folder was open it just said no videos found but upon looking through the file manager in my phone they were still there. I can only assume that I inadvertantly deleted some sort of file necessary for my X-Box to establish full communication with my droid. After the factory reset all went back to normal problem is now I no longer have root and I'm assuming (but hoping I'm wrong) if I did have the boot loader unlocked before all of this that now it will no longer be unlocked and I'll have to wait till someone creates the correct patch (am I using that term correctly?) before I can once again root my RAZR M?

OP
C

ClarkyDaub

Reaction score
"a an"....covering all bases :)
Plenty of posts here to get you where you need to be if you want to root.....again.

And no I wasn't covering all bases I was however not totally paying attention to what I was typing nor did I proof read my post before I hit send. Lmao

OP
C

ClarkyDaub

Reaction score
Many thanks to those of you who answered by the way. I'm not exactly new to androids but I am however very very new to rooting them. Never trusted myself enough with any of my previous droids to attempt it and everything I read said if you're not comfortable don't try it so I listened to the advice. Any and all pointers, tips, and helpful hints will be greatly appreciated. After I did root this device I had barely began to scratch the surface of all the possibilities that opened up for me when I lost my root to stupidity. As soon as I am able to I plan on rooting again so bring on the suggestions and tips guys at least that way I'll have some reading material to look at until I'm able to do it again lol. Thank you again for your answers so far much appreciated. And I apologize for the long winded posts.

OP
C

ClarkyDaub

Reaction score
Under the chance that my boot loader was not unlocked since after a little bit of reading I'm really not sure that it was. Is there any way to revert my phone back to the software version it had before this last update? That way I can root it, unlock the boot loader, and then once I re do the software update I'll have the unlocked boot loader and I'll be able to still have root?

CLARKYDAUB

bweN diorD

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
G2
Umm I think I had the boot loader unlocked how would I know for sure? And I'm not even sure that will matter now because after the update I had to perform a factory reset due to a complication I caused. I had been using my X-Box 360 to play the videos from my phone on my TV and in an attempt to free up storage space to make more room for movies I must have deleted a file required to make that possible because after my file deleting party my X-Box stopped being able to locate files that previously showed up as soon as I activated to video player. It was still finding and recognizing the folder that said videos were in, but once the folder was open it just said no videos found but upon looking through the file manager in my phone they were still there. I can only assume that I inadvertantly deleted some sort of file necessary for my X-Box to establish full communication with my droid. After the factory reset all went back to normal problem is now I no longer have root and I'm assuming (but hoping I'm wrong) if I did have the boot loader unlocked before all of this that now it will no longer be unlocked and I'll have to wait till someone creates the correct patch (am I using that term correctly?) before I can once again root my RAZR M?

if your bootloader is unlocked you get a warning message that says so at start up, unless you also replaced that with the stock or another logo.
if you gave me a phone that was unlocked and the message replaced with stock, i wouldn't know how to tell it was unlocked short of flashing it (which i don't recommend unless you know how to fix it) and watching it fail, boot loop, or work properly.
there may be an easier way to tell, i just don't know of it.

if you were unlocked, you still are. the update didn't lock anyone back that im aware of.

bweN diorD

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
G2
Under the chance that my boot loader was not unlocked since after a little bit of reading I'm really not sure that it was. Is there any way to revert my phone back to the software version it had before this last update? That way I can root it, unlock the boot loader, and then once I re do the software update I'll have the unlocked boot loader and I'll be able to still have root?

CLARKYDAUB

sorry, there is no way, except for "possibly", if you had a safestrap backup from before the update.
im really guessing though because i dont have the ability to try it, otherwise i would.

OP
C

ClarkyDaub

Reaction score
Lol so what you're saying is this is kinda like the blind leading the blind right now lmao no offense intended. I'll have to check into it and see what I can do or I'll just wait till someone finally makes a root for this version lol

CLARKYDAUB

OP
C

ClarkyDaub

Reaction score
Sweet deal, didn't think it would take very long before someone started working on one

CLARKYDAUB