Droid Razr is World Wide Phone!!

tech_head

Silver Member
Reaction score
Something interesting from the build.prop file....

# BEGIN Motorola, qmfd78, 14-Jul-2010, IKMAIN-884
# GSM SMS traffic needs to be routed/sent through North America SMSC.
# This is part of the VZW World-phone Feature. SMS are always sent to a US SMSC and then injected
# into that network. This allows for billing and give the user the impression that the device is
# still in the US.
ro.telephony.gsm-routes-us-smsc = 1
# END Motorola, qmfd78, 14-Jul-2010, IKMAIN-884

# BEGIN Motorola, a22600 qmfd78, 16-Jul-2010, IKDROIDPRO-423
# For north american cdma operators, this flag should be 1.
# It enables number mangling when nbpcd (plus code dialing) is not supported.
# This is part of the VZW World-phone Feature.
ro.cdma.home.operator.isnan=1
# END Motorola, a22600 qmfd78, 16-Jul-2010, IKDROIDPRO-423

# EDM feature - IKDROIDPRO-381 - Start
ro.mot.dpmext = true
# EDM feature - IKDROIDPRO-381 -End

# BEGIN Moto,IKDROIDPRO-430, a17673
# Feature33857 on DroidWE, support DualMode switch, UMTS/CDMA
##### Override in cdma_spyder.mk until LTE + Global support. ######
#ro.mot.FTR.33857=true
# END IKDROIDPRO-430

# BEGIN Moto, IKSTABLETWO-1284, nfjb73
# without this property, the lock screen would take global phone as UMTS
# block user to operate before setup
keyguard.no_require_sim = true
# End Moto

# BEGIN Moto, IKSTABLETWO-689, nfjb73, for 34387,33857
# when phone in Global mode, FW need to know the last phone mode beore power off
# when phone power up, it would use the right mode to avoid switch
persist.radio.ap.phonetype=2
# END IKSTABLETWO-689

More questions than answers.

manutcbs

Reaction score
We traveled to Europe a few months ago. I called Verizon customer service and they sent me a free global phone (I only had to pay shipping). They then transferred my service to the global phone and when I got back they transferred it back. It was pretty painless and I even bought a discount package reducing the cost of the phone time for the countries we visited. It worked well and when Air France screwed up my flights it was a lifesaver to be able to call Delta in the US from Spain.

It is not painless transferring back to a 4g phone. You need a new sim. And can be more problematic if you are rooted and don't want to take your phone to the store.

Best thing to do is have them mail you a sim before you go so it is waiting when you get back. Last time they sent me a micro sim though so I still had to go and wrestle one of the reps to get a new one.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

bjorn65

Reaction score
It is not painless transferring back to a 4g phone. You need a new sim. And can be more problematic if you are rooted and don't want to take your phone to the store.

Best thing to do is have them mail you a sim before you go so it is waiting when you get back. Last time they sent me a micro sim though so I still had to go and wrestle one of the reps to get a new one.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

More confusion. Just call Verizon for a phone to loan on my trip. The one bill department (phone fios mobile) Who just informed me, you do not need a loaner phone your phone is global capable? Say what! What you talking about Willis. I will find out Sunday. Chaos is a understatement. Either way if it works in England with the verizon or 3g british mirco sim. We will have an answer by sunday.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

USAFgreg

Reaction score
What is the difference between global and international? I thought all you would have to do is contact vzw & use 3g not 4g lte when out of the states.. that's how i was informed, correct me if completely wrong information haha :icon_eek:

Malvado

DF News Team/Mod
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
What is the difference between global and international? I thought all you would have to do is contact vzw & use 3g not 4g lte when out of the states.. that's how i was informed, correct me if completely wrong information haha :icon_eek:

I think they are the same. All you have to do is call VZW and ask them to transfer you to the right department to unlock phones. They only allow one unlock per year. But there are 3rd party sources that offer to unlock some phones for a price.

Sent from my Droid 3 directly to YOU!

silver6054

Reaction score
I think they are the same. All you have to do is call VZW and ask them to transfer you to the right department to unlock phones. They only allow one unlock per year. But there are 3rd party sources that offer to unlock some phones for a price.

Sent from my Droid 3 directly to YOU!

I think it is every 10 months (which is a strange thing for them to have come up with, maybe a holdover from the 1-year contract days when that was when you could upgrade).

I also think they are the same, along with "world". Pentaband 3G GSM would be more global, but the Droid 2 Global is "Global" without that.

bjorn65

Reaction score
sorry guys could not find passport, waiting on emergency document so I can leave tonight.

Tried to but in a mirco sim card, it can not identify the sim, and does not give me any options to unlock the phone. So I guess it does not work.

silver6054

Reaction score
Tried to but in a mirco sim card, it can not identify the sim, and does not give me any options to unlock the phone. So I guess it does not work.

Oh well, not too unexpected but good (or bad) to get the confirmation. I hope you have another phone option you can use while in the UK!

LuvMusic

Reaction score

Bjorn

Thanks for being our international tester! I wish it would have worked, I'd be on my way to getting a Razr. Looks like I'm waiting until Verizon adds a cutting-edge android global phone to their stable.

Happy Thanksgiving / Cheers!

bjorn65

Reaction score
yeah I have a phone I got it Spain, it working wonderful. Using my Droid x at.wifi spots.

bjorn65

Reaction score
Bjorn

Thanks for being our international tester! I wish it would have worked, I'd be on my way to getting a Razr. Looks like I'm waiting until Verizon adds a cutting-edge android global phone to their stable.

Happy Thanksgiving / Cheers!

I am wondering it a software update could make the razr global? For Verizon has one Lte modem by pantech, that became global with a firmware update. The only difference in this model, is one comes with a g, at the end of the name the other does not.

bigsnack

Reaction score
A bit related, since the Droid 4 is a essentially a Droid Razr with a keyboard, and fcc report said it comes with a GSM chip. Is it possible that the D4 could have the GSM portion enabled, or will it be like the Droid Razr unknown?