Droid Razr is World Wide Phone!!

tenbender

Reaction score
Razr is "International" not World Phone!!!

Good Morning Everyone,

I just pulled the trigger on the Droid Razr. The CSP is was talking to assured me that the phone is a world wide phone and that the GSM parts are working.
I asked her several times to confirm this and she did. She said her husband travels quite a bit and he has also ordered the phone.

I asked her to confirm that on the confirmation email that I should receive from Verizon and she said she would be glad to do it.

Sure hope this is the case.

Anyhow,

Excited to be part of the Droid family.

Regards,

Ten

UPDATE: After talking to some more people, the phone is not World but International. That means that it works in any country with CDMA, but the GSM is not enabled.
Major bummer and sorry for the misinformation on this post. A rather weak marketing ploy if you ask me. However,I still think this is the phone to own.

lobo13

Reaction score
Thanks for the information. At least it's International right?

silver6054

Reaction score
Aren't all VZ CDMA phones "international" in that sense, they can work in any CDMA country! That's what the travel page says, International Roaming

But some people have said that the GSM CAN be enabled. Now that the phone is out, has anyone confirmed that?

bjorn65

Reaction score
just spoke to Motorola who emailed me the phone is a global phone that can not work on any GSM network in the USA, however if you get the phone unlocked by Verizon you are free to use a local micro sim from any foreign country using GSM. yes finally.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

silver6054

Reaction score
just spoke to Motorola who emailed me the phone is a global phone that can not work on any GSM network in the USA, however if you get the phone unlocked by Verizon you are free to use a local micro sim from any foreign country using GSM. yes finally.

That's great. Now we just need someone to actually get it unlocked and test. On most of the Moto phones, even though US GSM is blocked, it will still display, e.g. on the lock screen, the SIM provider and the network it detects in the US.

bjorn65

Reaction score
Verizon global services are so incompetent. Motorola send me an email confirming the phone is global ready. How come no one at Verizon knows this? I spent 1 hour on the phone debating a stupid know it all tech. who informed me.
1. it can not be global for their is no LTE in Europe? Monte Carlo and Sweden to name two?
2. it can't be global for all global phones come with a GSM micro sim? Could the micro sim serve as LTE or GSM sim.
3. The FCC did not approve it for GSM? Maybe it was designed for GSM outside the USA?
4. Motorola misinformed me when they wrote and told me the phone was global ready.
5. He just spoke to Motorola and they just told him it not Global.
6. I said put everything you saying in writing and email it to me. He said it will be done, never done. lot of talking nothing in writing.

Well I wrote a 3 page letter to Verizon and good luck getting your Droid unlocked. Verizon global staff sucks big time.

silver6054

Reaction score
Verizon global services are so incompetent. Motorola send me an email confirming the phone is global ready. How come no one at Verizon knows this? I spent 1 hour on the phone debating a stupid know it all tech. who informed me.
1. it can not be global for their is no LTE in Europe? Monte Carlo and Sweden to name two?
2. it can't be global for all global phones come with a GSM micro sim? Could the micro sim serve as LTE or GSM sim.
3. The FCC did not approve it for GSM? Maybe it was designed for GSM outside the USA?
4. Motorola misinformed me when they wrote and told me the phone was global ready.
5. He just spoke to Motorola and they just told him it not Global.
6. I said put everything you saying in writing and email it to me. He said it will be done, never done. lot of talking nothing in writing.

Well I wrote a 3 page letter to Verizon and good luck getting your Droid unlocked. Verizon global staff sucks big time.

Well, it looks like there is confusion at Moto as well, as Matt, the Moto Owners Forum moderator, confirmed with RAZR development that the Verizon model is not "global ready", and neither the VZ site or the Amazon site say that it has active GSM. So, the question is whether it can be turned on (actually, another question is if it really has the radios, despite the Motodev site). It often takes Verizon Global several days to get instructions for a new model, so maybe a little later we will get a clear answer.

On 2) Are the Monte Carlo/Swedish LTE the same frequency as the US one (700)? Don't think so.

EDIT: So you have the RAZR it looks like! Is there an option for switching to GSM?

bjorn65

Reaction score
all the world has different frequency so Monte Carlo and Sweden are on the 800 or 1900 frequency. I forgot to mention when I told the guy last night, I could purchase the xt912 unlocked on line for $669. He told me it was a different phone? I explained I did not say xt910 Europe Australian phone or the MT 917 China razr. He continued to talk how the phone I was with the same style number was AT&T version of the phone coming out in January? With the exact same, model? That why I wrote Motorola to get it in writing, and Verizon did not care.

As for the phone having any software dealing with GSM, I don't see anything.

But my frustration came when Verizon rep told me utter nonsense, and began speaking about FCC. Verizon uses vadafone in Europe and AT&T uses some else in Europe and they use different frequency in Europe. last time I check, USA Mexico and most of the west coast of south America use 850 1900 band and Europe and the rest of the world . uses 800 1800 and many like japan and south Korea umts 2100. I did not enjoy the lesson on mobile Telecom, when most was incorrect, and I called to have the xt912 unlocked.

jaycemiskel

Reaction score
It's been said plenty of times that it's not global. Any rep that tells you differently is lying.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

bjorn65

Reaction score
He is not lying if the phone is being sold by rogers communication in Canada and it is global? I do not see why the Motorola rep would write me an email and lie? A lot of confusion about the capabilities of the phone. My fight with the Verizon Rep was I could order the phone unlocked for full price on line (xt912) so if that is the case how can you tell me it is not a world phone. This is not a time for opinions when it either is or isn't. Do you see any Droid bionic for sale unlocked? No you don't for you can not unlock a LTE CDMA phone. I hope you get my point.

silver6054

Reaction score
He is not lying if the phone is being sold by rogers communication in Canada and it is global? I do not see why the Motorola rep would write me an email and lie? A lot of confusion about the capabilities of the phone. My fight with the Verizon Rep was I could order the phone unlocked for full price on line (xt912) so if that is the case how can you tell me it is not a world phone. This is not a time for opinions when it either is or isn't. Do you see any Droid bionic for sale unlocked? No you don't for you can not unlock a LTE CDMA phone. I hope you get my point.

What can you order from Rogers? I see the Moto RAZR (rather than the DROID Razr) which is the GSM version according to the specs. Where can you order xt912 unlocked online?

I don't think people are lying, just don't know the details. Yes, you got an email from Moto, but Matt, also from Moto, very publicly said the opposite, why choose to believe one rather than the other?

bjorn65

Reaction score
I was not saying the Motorola did not lie to me? I stated it very confusing when, one says yes and another says no. My argument is based on common sense.

1. If if is not global how can you buy a unlocked version of the phone, that supports GSM.
2. If it is not global how come rogers communication has the same phone, and it is.

What needs to happen where is the manual for the phone that states exactly what it can do. Now if I order a unlocked version of the same phone and it works on all GSM bands. Then I will then have prove it is global. Right now we have no proof and complete chaos on this phone.

silver6054

Reaction score
I was not saying the Motorola did not lie to me? I stated it very confusing when, one says yes and another says no. My argument is based on common sense.

1. If if is not global how can you buy a unlocked version of the phone, that supports GSM.
2. If it is not global how come rogers communication has the same phone, and it is.

What needs to happen where is the manual for the phone that states exactly what it can do. Now if I order a unlocked version of the same phone and it works on all GSM bands. Then I will then have prove it is global. Right now we have no proof and complete chaos on this phone.

And I have the same questions I just asked!

1) Where is the link to buy it unlocked?
2) Where is the link to the Rogers version? I see the Razr, not the Droid Razr, on their site.