1. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Droid Razr Car Charger?

Discussion in 'Droid RAZR Accessories' started by Monkeyman806, Nov 16, 2011.

1. Monkeyman806

Monkeyman806 New Member

Has anyone found a quality car charger for the Droid Razr yet? In reading a lot of reviews I see a ton of chargers that don't provide enough juice to get the job done (either the phone still drains or the battery life stops and is maintained at that level while plugged in).

Some reviews have spoken about the need for at least 1 amp / 1000 mAh but 99% of the chargers I have looked at don't tell me what they provide. Nor do I really know if that is in fact the case.

The other concern / need is for it to work well with the Motorola Navagation Dock (which I think most will unless they have a huge micro usb plug housing).

Here are a few I have looked at online... if anyone has a car charger for their Droid Razr that they like or have one of the ones listed below - then lets hear your feedback.

[LINKS REMOVED PER VENDOR REQUEST]
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 10, 2013
  2. cmorty72

cmorty72 New Member

Honestly, I really don't see how everyone is having all these issues with charging their Razr in their ride. I've been sporting my good ole Verizon charger that I picked up way back in my BB Storm days, without any issues. The only drawback that I find is that the coiled-up cord just doesn't give me enough slack when connecting to the Razr's car dock.
    Other than that, everything just works fine.
    And FYI, a majority of those chargers that you showed can be found at your local mall vendor's kiosk.
  3. justin82

justin82 DF Super Moderator Premium Member

4. Monkeyman806

Monkeyman806 New Member

No clue either as to why so many people are having issues with chargers for their car. I just know I don't want to be one of them.

That's why I posted this in the first place as to see if any Droid Razr owners could chime in and give a solid recommendation.

I just want the charger to work... not only when the Razr is idle but also providing a good charge while running google nav, google music streaming over 4g LTE... etc.

The Verizon dual USB Charger recommended is the reason I ran into so many issues with picking a car charger. I guess it is not the best quality / build and that is one
    of the ones that people said couldn't really charge the Droid Razr.
  5. fauxreall

fauxreall New Member

That second link there looks pretty damn good, price, 1amp and plenty of reviews. Might pick that up myself.
  6. hamenos

hamenos New Member

7. fauxreall

fauxreall New Member

8. Monkeyman806

Monkeyman806 New Member

I ended up ordering the Motorola P513 Charger. I found some reviews and guess it is a good charger but will wait to see before I give my 2 cents.

I didn't get it from Wireless Emporium (location of original links) but instead picked it up from Amazon for... ready for this... UNDER 6 Bucks - lol.

I guess when you order the charger from Amazon and SELECT AMAZON as the seller you get the right product but if you just add to cart or select
    a different seller you could get something different or a knock off. I think the price was worth the risk and if it doesn't work it isn't even an issue to
    take the $6 hit by just trashing it.

From everything I have read about this charger and after watching several reviews I think it is a quality option. It is rated for 4.75v - 5.25v and 950 mAh.
    This should be able to handle my needs of running the Razr while streaming music and using google nav.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B000S5Q9CA/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&condition=new

I'll let everyone know once I get it. Oh, by the way I did pick up another memory card for one of my cameras so the total cart price was over
    25.00 so I got free shipping. :)
  9. hamenos

hamenos New Member

I do read the posts, but why limit yourself to a micro USB charger when for 3-4 bucks more will charge pretty much anything. And for a quality product, I think its a good idea. Im just throwing the idea out of a universal USB charger.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk
  10. jtpowell

jtpowell Member

The Verizon charger I got with my HTC Inc seems to be working fine. Razr even told me it was fully charged and to unplug my charger to conserve power.
  11. Monkeyman806

Monkeyman806 New Member

OK, so it has been about a week since I ordered my Motorola Vehicle Power Adapter micro-USB Rapid Rate Charger from Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B000S5Q9CA/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&condition=new

As stated in previous posts I was concerned about the charging power of this unit and thought I would provide some feedback.

1.) All in all I am happy with it.
    2.) I do wish it had a little more power but it does the job. While the phone is on and running google maps / nav. it still pulled enough power to sit in the car dock and charge.
    This was my major concern as I wanted it to charge and not just maintain the battery level.

On Thanksgiving I got in the car with my phone at 10% battery left. After driving through town, for about 30 minutes, while using google maps / nav the phone increased to 50% battery life. So an increase of 40% battery... not bad.

After visiting the family and driving back I turned the phone off and placed in the dock and of course it charged much faster with a 10% to 100% in about 30 minutes or less... not sure when it hit the 100% mark as the phone was turned off - lol.

The cord is fine... tight coils but I stretch them out as I don't really care for the coils because of the placement of my outlet and location of the car dock. The blue light on the adapter is something I didn't care about at all but when I first plugged it in my wife did give the "that's cool" look at it... which by the way is a HUGE reaction from her when it comes to electronics.

I would highly recommend this charger as it did what I wanted and seems to be a high quality... and for $5.00 from Amazon you can't beat that with a stick
  12. Fanatic4hockey

Fanatic4hockey New Member

The longer the wire the less juice output you'll have. Make sure if you go longer the wire gauge should be thicker. Check the wire's output is what's intended for the phone.

Sent from my iPhone (soon to be RAZR) using Tapatalk
  13. Arodnum1

Arodnum1 New Member

I just went to Verizon and got one, it had an extra USB port for perhaps charging an IPod or whatnot, I paid about 24$ with my discount, worked for my DX and has worked great for my Razr thus far

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums
  14. Jimmy8881

Jimmy8881 New Member

I got the p617 motorola dual USB charger from Amazon, it's a original motorola charger with 2 USB Ports with 850 rate on each port, comes with one cable. It's more expensive than others but it's been working great, I use it for my razr and iPod.

Motorola P617 Rapid Dual USB Car Charger with Micro USB Data Cable - Bulk Packaging - Black:Amazon:Cell Phones & Accessories
  15. GrmReaper

GrmReaper New Member

I bought the windshield mount for my RAZR and looove it, that combined with the Car Home app, it is perfect for navigation, charging, music, and anything else.

16. Prelude90

Prelude90 New Member

Hey grmreaper do you have pics of the car dock?

Search tags for this page
best car charger for droid razr
best car charger for motorola droid razr
car charger droid razr

car charger for droid razr

car charger output for motorola droid razr
charger for droid razr

droid razr car charger

droid razr car charger not charging
droid razr car charger problems
droid razr charger