Droid razr battery

shahzaib10

Reaction score
Hey guys. After the uodate rolled out, the battery on the Droid razr was amazing. I used to get through the whole day with a single charge. Now I have to charge at least 4-5 times. The battery seems to degrade quick even in idle. Anyone having the same problem?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

indee2025

Reaction score
Hey guys. After the uodate rolled out, the battery on the Droid razr was amazing. I used to get through the whole day with a single charge. Now I have to charge at least 4-5 times. The battery seems to degrade quick even in idle. Anyone having the same problem?

Does it have Verizon Location Assist running?

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7

Not unless it's an app or apps that are causing it. Try rebooting into Safe Mode and running it that way for a day. You won't have access to your user-installed apps, but it will prove whether the battery is the cause or if it's something you've installed.

To boot into Safe Mode:

1. Power down your phone by holding the power button and selecting Power Off from the pop-up menu.
  2. Once fully powered off, begin powering back on by holding the power button.
  3. Once power sequence begins, press and hold BOTH volume up and volume down and continue holding until you feel 2 vibration bursts, one short, one long.
  4. Release both volume buttons.
  5. Phone will continue boot sequence and then the lock screen will appear and at the bottom left are the words Safe mode.
Now the phone will function completely normally except that it will only pre-load the applications and services that were installed at the factory. There may be icons from a few of your user-installed apps on the home screen, and they will work, but you'll notice all widgets are gone. You'll also notice none of your user-installed apps are available in the app tray.

To boot normally simply power down and power back up - this time without holding the Volume buttons. The phone will revert to your original layout and all user-installed apps will once again be available, all widgets will reappear on the home screen.

OP
shahzaib10

shahzaib10

Reaction score
Thanks .. but the only thing that's eating my battery is the android os which is 77 percent .. how do I Lower it?!

SEABIFF

Reaction score
Droid RAZR Battery Life-use Smart Actions/Other Apps

dancedroidYes, the battery will only last a day and MUST be recharged that night or the next day however, using the Smart Actions function and other Apps carefully making choices on useage will cut down significantly on the areas that tend to drain the battery - it is a great feature. Also, you don't want your screen on for very long. I bought a back up battery as part of the accessories package and find it is well worth it - have only used the external battery once although I carry it with me all the time. The good thing is the Bluetooth bat life lasts forever before recharging.

Last edited:

SEABIFF

Reaction score
Battery Drains-Use Smart Actions

Use Smart Actions - it will walk you through processes and use the featrued apps to choose where to cut back on useage...this works well!

Last edited:

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Thanks .. but the only thing that's eating my battery is the android os which is 77 percent .. how do I Lower it?!

With all due respect, if the OS is consuming 77% of the total power used, there may be very good reason why and it could easily be related to user-installed applications causing the OS to stall or work harder to take control of the device. It is not normal for the OS to consume this great of a percentage, and other than having a corrupt OS (which is highly unlikely unless it's a custom ROM that you have flashed yourself), I would again point to user-installed applications. By comparison, my RAZR has been on battery power for 5 hours, 50 minutes, and the Android OS has consumed only 22% of the total power usage. The Display was the big user at 31%. Right now, my battery is at 50% and in those 6 hours I have used it for multiple phone calls, emails, internet, Droid Forums App, and other purposes.

Common sense says if your device's hardware and OS is identical to millions of others out there (and you can assume it is unless you are running a custom ROM), and if your device is acting considerably differently than those others, there has to be something else that is causing it. The major variables in this equation are the applications you install, the services you connect to, and your personal usage patterns, along with the quality and availability of cellular and WIFI communications to access these services. It is a simple process of elimination that will point to the cause of your excess battery consumption.

As further evidence of the above, I recently ran into a situation where I couldn't install any apps if they were downloaded as APKs or if they were stored as part of a backup, yet I could install apps directly from the Market with no problems. I rebooted, uninstalled several apps I suspected, tried various troubleshooting processes, and cleared caches, all to no avail. Then I ran the Task Manager, selected ALL installed apps, set it to kill all tasks at 2 minutes after screen power-off, then proceeded to power the phone's screen of. In 5 minutes, I powered it back up, tried to install APKs from the SD Card and they worked without a hitch. Rebooted the phone, turned off the Task Manager, tried to install apps again and found it failed again.

So now I know it was an application that caused the problem and now I simply have to identify what app or apps are at the root of the problem. If I could have used Smart Mode, I would have but that would have disabled the ability to install any apps, so the next best thing was the Task Manager and fortunately - it worked.

Last edited:

indee2025

Reaction score
When it says a category like Android OS or display etc are 77%, 35% etc doesn't mean they've eaten that much of your 100% battery, you can confirm this because your battery may say something like 60% charging when you plug it in but the percentages of use maybe higher than what your total battery life was IE saying 77% usage when the battery is at 60% capacity. Android OS should be the highest use of battery unless you're talking longer or leaving the display on longer than the device is thinking without you paying attention.

You can do some preventative measures to help this such as using the task killer to make changes to things like Verizon Location Assistant> place it on the auto end and it should turn off automatically 2 minutes after the display clicks off your device.

You can use the smart actions to set parameters like others suggested as well but I'm not using smart actions, I use auto end and I'm not rooted and my battery lasts about a day & a half before dropping down to where my ADD kicks in and I must charge it (around 30%), also I have the Razr 2gb not the Maxx.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
When it says a category like Android OS or display etc are 77%, 35% etc doesn't mean they've eaten that much of your 100% battery, you can confirm this because your battery may say something like 60% charging when you plug it in but the percentages of use maybe higher than what your total battery life was IE saying 77% usage when the battery is at 60% capacity.

Agreed, it's saying that of the power used, 77% was used by the OS.

OP
shahzaib10

shahzaib10

Reaction score
The android os was awake for 8 hours... that's way to much.. I put the Apps on the auto end list and still no help.. any other sugesstions..I even factory reset it and still have the same problem.

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
First don't put any apps on the auto list, that will make them work even harder because they are going to keep trying to run and keep getting denied. You are right though 8 hours is a long time for OS to be going. I have been unplugged for 6 hours and my OS is at 17% and awake for 7 minutes and I have 80% battery left. Try downloading that Bada$$ battery monitor and see if that gives you a more detailed look at what is killing your battery.

miket3

Reaction score
RAZR battery dies quickly

My original RAZR jad same issue. Now my 1 day old refurb does same exact thing.......