Droid Razr as a router

aroid

Reaction score
I recently decided to upgrade from my Droidx to the Droid Razr. One of the functions that I rely heavily on from my Droid is the wireless router feature to connect to the internet with. With the Droidx this feature was 95% reliable depending on my location. I purchase the Droid Razr on the day before leaving on a 10 day 2200 mile road trip form Tampa FL up the east coast to upstate NY, Ohio, Tennessee, Georgia and back to FL. I was sold on this phone because I was told that the 4g lite network speed would be a benefit to my router use. Unfortunately, this wasn't the case when I was able to connect via 3g or 4g I had real problems opening websites. Some sites worked fine and others didn't open at all. For instance Yahoo.com would open the biggest problem was that the program I used to access my computer in my office also failed to work. I would be able to log in but the desktop wasn't visible only a black screen.

I returned the phone and went back to my Droidx and everything has returned to normal.

bsmith0731

Reaction score
Could it have been a defective unit?

sent from my Droid RAZR. 1st android after almost 4 years with apple.

ddfuji

Reaction score
I recently decided to upgrade from my Droidx to the Droid Razr. One of the functions that I rely heavily on from my Droid is the wireless router feature to connect to the internet with. With the Droidx this feature was 95% reliable depending on my location. I purchase the Droid Razr on the day before leaving on a 10 day 2200 mile road trip form Tampa FL up the east coast to upstate NY, Ohio, Tennessee, Georgia and back to FL. I was sold on this phone because I was told that the 4g lite network speed would be a benefit to my router use. Unfortunately, this wasn't the case when I was able to connect via 3g or 4g I had real problems opening websites. Some sites worked fine and others didn't open at all. For instance Yahoo.com would open the biggest problem was that the program I used to access my computer in my office also failed to work. I would be able to log in but the desktop wasn't visible only a black screen.

I returned the phone and went back to my Droidx and everything has returned to normal.

Were you paying for hotspots? Or did you root and modify the registry to GeT free wifi tether?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

OP
A

aroid

Reaction score
I don't think so based on the fact that several pages displayed properly and the other features worked fine. gps, internet radio, market place, etc.

OP
A

aroid

Reaction score
Were you paying for hotspots? Or did you root and modify the registry to GeT free wifi tether?

I was paying for the service.

ddfuji

Reaction score
I don't think so based on the fact that several pages displayed properly and the other features worked fine. gps, internet radio, market place, etc.

Im asking how you were tethering. On stock razr you have to pay for hotspot in able to do a tether. On a Rooted razr. Like mine, You can change some values in the registry and use a third party app and do a free tether that way. which method did you use.

OP
A

aroid

Reaction score
Yes, just like my Droidx I was paying for the Moble Wi-Fi Hotspot.

ddfuji

Reaction score
I was paying for the service.

Oh OK. Sorry. I asked cause I know some ppl were having issues with hot spot. I use a third party tethering app on my rooted razr and everything works fin for me. I don't know if you are interested in rooting hut it does come in handy and opens up more option and apps. I rooted to save battery life by freezing bloat ware and to get free wifi tether.

scottysize

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone XS Max
I pay the $30 per month for the hotspot service and we just came back form a trip to North Carolina. WHile there, we didn't have internet, so we used my phone. I experience the exact same thing. Some websites wouldn't work. Yahoo was the worse. Many sites where extremely slow, or wouldn't come up at all. I haven't had that problem in Texas, so I don't know if it's an East coast problem, or what.

ddfuji

Reaction score
I pay the $30 per month for the hotspot service and we just came back form a trip to North Carolina. WHile there, we didn't have internet, so we used my phone. I experience the exact same thing. Some websites wouldn't work. Yahoo was the worse. Many sites where extremely slow, or wouldn't come up at all. I haven't had that problem in Texas, so I don't know if it's an East coast problem, or what.

I pay 0 dollars a month and all my websites work.

DroidXJoel

Reaction score
I'm rooted and use the hack and I use my stock hotspots app. Used it last night for first time to download some software on my computer and a torrent. Hell the torrent size was 500 or so MB and it downloaded in about 30 minutes with only 15 seeders. Did not notice any blocked web sites. Only site that wouldn't load is corel.com which I was trying to go to to update my blue ray software on my Vaio.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7

I'm wondering when this trip took place, during what days you experienced the problem, and whether the known system problems experienced recently were at fault. At least here on the East coast, there were several days that 4G was completely down, there were even more where it was spotty, and there were times leading up to, during and even after Verizon announced the problem was "resolved" that even 3G was spotty at best.

Your performance issues with the Hotspot feature, even if not network related, are likely then a software problem that will almost certainly be addressed and resolved in future updates. That feature is a BIG money-maker for Verizon, and I am very confident they won't let it be problematic for any duration of time, especially considering key target markets for this phone - young to middle-aged executives, and tech-savvy students, tweeners and adults.

Last edited: