Droid Razr AP Fastboot Flash Mode (S) (Boot Failure)

gotwatermelon

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have a Droid Razr (Not Maxx)and it is NOT rooted. I was taking pictures with it and it turned off on me. When I turned it back on, I got this message:

AP Fastboot Flash Mode (S) (Boot Failure)

0A.74

eMC Info: Size 16GB

To return to normal mode-first press power key to power down

Device is LOCKED. Status Code: 0

Battery OK

OK to Program

Connect USB

Data Cable

Invalid CC HAB (DD: nbr, status: 0X0056)

I want to know if it's possible to to get my pictures and videos out of my phone in this condition. I did not use an SD card. Any help would be great. Thank you in advance!

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Welcome to DF gotwatermellon. I am not familiar with this problem but it almost seems that if you power the phone down again that it would to return to normal mode.

Sent from my DROID RAZR Maxx using Droid Forums

OP
G

gotwatermelon

Reaction score
Welcome to DF gotwatermellon. I am not familiar with this problem but it almost seems that if you power the phone down again that it would to return to normal mode.

Hi TisMyDroid! Thanks for replying. I tried turning off and then on but when I turned it back on, the same screen showed up. I also tried holding the volume down button thenclicking the power button but it did not work.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Dear gotwatermelon, it looks like your phone's OS got corrupted. This could be completely happenstance.

What you should do is first try to boot into Recovery. To do this, first turn it off. If you can't get it to turn off, press and hold both the power and volume down and wait until the screen goes black (this can take more than 10 seconds). Once the screen goes black, IMMEDIATELY, press ALL THREE BUTTONS (Power and Volume UP & DOWN) at ONCE and HOLD them until a white text on black background screen appears, then release all. This screen is called the Boot mode selection menu. You should see a list of menu selections, and one should be Recovery. Press the Volume DOWN button until Recovery is highlighted. If you pass it DO NOT PRESS Volume UP...instead keep pressing Volume DOWN and it will start back at the top again. Once you have Recovery highlighted, NOW press Volume UP to select. The screen will go BLACK, then you'll see the Motorola Red Circle with the M, and then the screen will go BLACK again for a bit, then you'll see a Green Droid on its back with the belly open and a Red Triangle with an Exclamation point in the open belly. This is known as the "Triage" screen. Now press BOTH Volume buttons at once and release. Now you'll be in the Android system recovery utility screen with Blue text on a Black background. The Volume buttons here both work for up and down. First, I'd like you to try simply wiping the cache partition by highlighting that line and pressing the Power button. Once done, highlight the reboot system now selection and press Power.

If the phone boots normally, consider yourself lucky.

If not, then we're going to take a different path. Before proceeding, I want you to make sure you have sufficient power, so charging is imperative. This MAY or MAY NOT go well, but we MUST try. Power off the phone. Then take the STOCK MOTOROLA POWER BLOCK AND STOCK USB POWER CABLE and plug the phone into them. If all goes well, the phone should first show the Red circle M, followed by a large battery icon with a percentage listed for current charge level. If it's anything less than 70%, let it charge to 100%. If it's at least 70% already, we're fine. In either case once done, disconnect and follow the instructions below.

I'm going to make one HUGE assumption here...that is that your phone is on Ice Cream Sandwich (ICS via the Over the Air update from Verizon/Motorola). If it is NOT on ICS, and is still on Gingerbread...STOP!!! Instead of downloading the Droid RAZR Utility Version 1.81 below, download and install the appropriate driver for your version of Windows from one of these links:

Motorola Drivers (If its not working install this.)
32 Bit Link: http://www.motorola....river_5.4.0.exe
64 Bit Link: http://goo-inside.me...5.4.0_64bit.msi

THEN download THIS (http://www.filefactory.com/file/3ofu94h9bfxb/n/DroidRAZRUtility1_6_final_zip) Droid RAZR Utility Version 1.6 (by Matt L Groff) instead. Note, this will take a LONG time, possibly as long as 2 hours or more depending on your connection speed. Once done, follow the instructions below to restore to Gingerbread version 6.12.181.

Otherwise (if you ARE on ICS): Go to http://crackflasher.com/dev/mattlgroff/XT912.Verizon.en.US/DroidRAZRUtility/DroidRazrUtility1.8.zip and download the Droid RAZR Utility Version Version 1.81 (also by Matt L Groff). Note, this will also take a LONG time, possibly as long as 2 hours or more depending on your connection speed.

Instructions: This tool will allow us to Fastboot you back to stock. You will unzip the file to a folder on your "C:\" root drive, then go into the folder, find the Motorola drivers and install them (or download them from the appropriate link above). Once drivers are installed, put your phone back into the Boot mode selection menu (as above), but this time, instead of selecting Recovery, you are going to select AP Fastboot by pressing Volume DOWN to highlight, and then Power to select. Now, you'll want to plug your phone into the computer's USB connection. Then go into the Razr Utility and run the .bat file, and follow the instructions for step 1. This MAY wipe all user data on the phone, but it may not. Either way, you should be fully functional once completed.

If you can't get to the AP Fastboot screen, then the utilities above won't work and we're forced to try the last resort...a full Factory Data Restore (FDR).

NOTE: The following will clear your phone of all history, personal data on the internal SD card (not the removable card), and will return the phone to an out of box state. ALL USER DATA WILL BE LOST! Proceed with caution.

If not, then follow ALL the instructions at the top again, but this time, instead of wiping the cache, we're going to do a full wipe data/factory reset. Just as above, highlight that selection, and press the Power button. You will be presented with a second menu with a series of "No" selections and only one "Yes -- delete all user data". If you don't highlight that Yes line, when you press the Power button it will simply jump back to the previous menu. You will want to highlight that Yes selection and press the Power button. It will perform the process and should revert back to the main Blue text screen where this time you will highlight the reboot system now selection and press the Power button.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Wow! Thanks FoxKat!

OP
G

gotwatermelon

Reaction score
Hi Foxkat,

I could not go pass the recovery option and my screen does not go through the red circle M and large battery icon when it is plugged into the charger.
If I continue with the droid razr utility 1.81 is it still possible to save pictures?

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
I don't recall for sure if the utility wipes the internal storage (non-removable SD card), but I am inclined to think it does. You may be able to save the pictures from being deleted if they're on the internal sd card by using RSD Lite and fastbooting.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

OP
G

gotwatermelon

Reaction score
i've tried the rsd lite and fastboot but it failed flashing process at step 6/18
i found another thread that had a similar situation for droid 3 but requires the phone to be in .906 OTA (do you know how i can find out if i am on version?)

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
If you are on a Droid RAZR, you are either on .181 (Gingerbread), or .211 (Ice Cream Sandwich), in all likelihood. Each phone model in almost all cases uses a different version of software so things that go wrong with one phone and solutions offered up for it don't necessarily work for another phone. The only exception I am aware of at this point is the Droid RAZR and the Droid RAZR MAXX, since they are the identical phone except for the larger battery, case design to accommodate it and the badges. Otherwise, they use the same motherboard and also the same ROMs and Kernel.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
i've tried the rsd lite and fastboot but it failed flashing process at step 6/18
i found another thread that had a similar situation for droid 3 but requires the phone to be in .906 OTA (do you know how i can find out if i am on version?)

Failure for step 6/18 is an RSD Lite failure. I am not sure the reason why. I would go back to the Droid RAZR Utility and use option 1. You may lose the pictures but at this point I don't know any other options.

puchodog1977

Reaction score
im bricked for real

i have tried everything. ive tried 3 different fastboot files. all failed at like step 6 of _ and then i tried 2 versions of the utility and it fails.. now the utility doesnt even begin to work.. screen doesnt even flash once to show that it knows there is a phone connected.. getting a flash failure on the boot screen.

b.adam

Reaction score
I have the same exact problem with my Razr Maxx HD... AP Fastboot Flash Mode (S)/Fastboot Reason: Boot Failure.
I never tried to download any pre released updates or rooting my device, what solved your issue? Was it a manufacture defect? How did you go about with motorola? Cause i've been on and on with them for 2 whole days and 6 different representatives with accumulating misunderstandings, how long did the repair procedure take since i'm currently studying overseas and i dont really have any hope understanding anything from our fellow devoted employees at Motorola.

puchodog1977

Reaction score
I sent it back no problems. Under warranty if not in war it will cost ya

koolaid wineo rockin a razr maxx 4.0.4

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
I have the same exact problem with my Razr Maxx HD... AP Fastboot Flash Mode (S)/Fastboot Reason: Boot Failure.
I never tried to download any pre released updates or rooting my device, what solved your issue? Was it a manufacture defect? How did you go about with motorola? Cause i've been on and on with them for 2 whole days and 6 different representatives with accumulating misunderstandings, how long did the repair procedure take since i'm currently studying overseas and i dont really have any hope understanding anything from our fellow devoted employees at Motorola.

If you are with Verizon, then contact Verizon. With the Maxx HD, it will still be under warranty and Verizon will send you a new refurbished phone for free. Then once you receive the replacement phone, you will ship the defective one back. It is pretty easy & painless with Verizon.

Sent from my XT907 using Droid Forums