Droid Razor And Skype Video Chat

Robotics

Reaction score
Curious if others have tried or use Skype regularly with video on their Razr, and what do you honestly think of the quality of the video people see of you coming from your Razor.

My experience is a big let down to say the least. The video completely sucks that I am transmitting. I see others quite well and pretty good video. On a scale from 1 to 10, 10 being excellent, I would say the video coming into my phone is about a 7, close to 8.

But the video of me people see is about a 3 if not a 2. You can just make out whats happening. It looks like its raining all the time.

I have called myself using 8mp cameras and the Razor sucks every time hands down.

I have to say the iPhone and their 8mp camera rocks compared to Motorola Razr.

Please post your experiences with this phone.

I don't video chat all the time, but when I do with family...all I hear is how my video looks like $%#@ on their end, and they always look freakin great to me.

Thanks!

kijutsu

Reaction score
Curious if others have tried or use Skype regularly with video on their Razr, and what do you honestly think of the quality of the video people see of you coming from your Razor.

My experience is a big let down to say the least. The video completely sucks that I am transmitting. I see others quite well and pretty good video. On a scale from 1 to 10, 10 being excellent, I would say the video coming into my phone is about a 7, close to 8.

But the video of me people see is about a 3 if not a 2. You can just make out whats happening. It looks like its raining all the time.

I have called myself using 8mp cameras and the Razor sucks every time hands down.

I have to say the iPhone and their 8mp camera rocks compared to Motorola Razr.

Please post your experiences with this phone.

I don't video chat all the time, but when I do with family...all I hear is how my video looks like $%#@ on their end, and they always look freakin great to me.

Thanks!

Just a thought -- Skype automatically changes the quality based on available bandwidth. Is it perhaps your bandwidth is being eaten up by the incoming video and other incoming data? Are there settings to change incoming quality so you can reduce it thus freeing up bandwidth for your outgoing data?

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Lighting is the biggest factor for me, but mostly the videos I am sending are pretty good and I have heard no complaints from anyone. Also it should be noted the camera on the back is 8MP the front facing camera using for video calls is only a 2MP.

OP
Robotics

Robotics

Reaction score
I like this. I will try to shut down what ever I can if I stream. But I do get the same results using wifi. And it is supposedly 3mb up/30 down. But who knows.

Only thing usually running on the phone is gmail and the regular email checking every 30 min's. And what ever the phone does that I am not aware of.

Thanks for your suggestion/reply.

OP
Robotics

Robotics

Reaction score
I usually switch to the back camera (8mp) to show off the surroundings I'm in at times. As weird as it is, I get the exact same results no matter what cam I'm on. (front or back)

The camera takes amazingly great pictures, and videos. But when it comes to streaming....its an embarrassment to say the least. Takes the fun out of it completely.

Thats for your reply.

Guess I'm stuck with this :(

solohikr

Reaction score
Great success here.
I have a friend who is in Afganistan and we skype a couple of times a week. They are on thier laptop and me on my Droid Razr on 4g is crystal clear. When my phone defaults to 3g it gets all grainy.
So as long as I have 4g it is no different than using my computer. Most pleased with the results.

JDH

Reaction score
Not to state the obvious, but is your front lense clean? It would take only a very small peace of trash or dust to spoil the pic.

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
How do you change it to use the back camera instead of the front facing one, I can't seem to find that setting? I have been using my phone to Skype with my wife back in Texas since I am up here in New York and she has not complained. Even used it on 3G and the picture was great on both ends, WIFI is even better.

lovemyram4x4

Reaction score
Sydman said:
How do you change it to use the back camera instead of the front facing one, I can't seem to find that setting? I have been using my phone to Skype with my wife back in Texas since I am up here in New York and she has not complained. Even used it on 3G and the picture was great on both ends, WIFI is even better.

When tap on the camera icon while in a call it will have front, back & off.

1339708296469.jpg

OP
Robotics

Robotics

Reaction score
Not to state the obvious, but is your front lens clean? It would take only a very small peace of trash or dust to spoil the pic.

Most definetly clean. Like I mentioned, the video recordings and pictures are fantastic. Only on skype does the streaming video look bad.

One thing I have noticed is for the first maybe 10 to 15 seconds the streaming video looks pretty darn good, then goes to pot and remains that way.

I do not have any other app doing anything while streaming other than checking gmail every 30 minutes, the actual phone, and of course my streaming and the video coming in. (does it also if only I am streaming, and not the other person on the other end).

This all happens on 3g, 4g, wifi, my home router. Doesn't matter how I am connected to the internet. I have even uninstalled skype and reinstalled....no difference.

OP
Robotics

Robotics

Reaction score
Just an update on this problem. Since the ICS update, Skype still stinks streaming video from my Razr. So I got the program ooVoo, and man what a difference.

Bye Bye Skype for Android.dancedroid

lovemyram4x4

Reaction score
On GB I only had issues when using my lapdock(that my wife mentioned anyways), ironically I was using a better camera(USB HD Cam).

Now with ICS camera is disabled in webtop/phone modes while in lapdock.

I'll stick with Skype only because that's what the wifie's work uses for talking to over seas. I already went back to using a laptop while at home & only use the Razr while I'm out in the field. I also don't use Skype much, only for when one of us has to travel for work, which isn't very often for myself now that I work for myself but now the wife has to but only a couple times per year.

1339708296469.jpg

datercon

Reaction score
Robotics said:
Just an update on this problem. Since the ICS update, Skype still stinks streaming video from my Razr. So I got the program ooVoo, and man what a difference.

Bye Bye Skype for Android.dancedroid
I put oovoo on my razr right after the ics ota upgrade and it bricked me.