DROID Quirks - Ongoing

Terra

Reaction score
I've experienced the random haptic feedback bug too, but I'm writing in hopes of someone being able to help me with another tech issue.

I had a horrible experience with Panda Home. At first it worked great--that is, until I tried to put the standard FB widget on a home screen. First it FC. Then, the widget appeared out of nowhere.

I removed the widget, and even after I did that, anytime I would switch between screens the haptic feedback was enabled. I checked to make sure the quick menu toggle was off. Then, I restarted the phone, checked the toggle again and still had the same problem. It basically appeared as if the phone was trying to access the quick menu without actually doing anything, and with the feature disabled.

So, I uninstalled Panda, and reverted to the standard android home, but then half of my widgets and apps were unresponsive to touch and would not open. I power cycled the phone 3 times, removed the battery and finally got all my apps working minus weather bug and sportstap.

So, I unstalled the apps and reinstalled them and WB worked, but the ST didn't and is nowhere to be found even though the market says its been downloaded. I've checked in every file on the phone and SD card using andexplorer and nothing! Its like its stuck in limbo somewhere because when i try to access through my downloads or market, it says its installed but has the uninstall option is grayed out; it doesn't allow me to select any of the options. I emailed the developer and have yet to hear back from him or her. Any help or advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited:

darreno1

Reaction score
I'm referring more to the number of apps and the ease of finding them than to the actual quality of individual apps, which would take a lot more time to assess. But there is no New York Times, for example. (I can access it via the browser, but it isn't configured for a mobile.) Also, there is an app on the iPhone that let's you watch Rachel Maddow. And how about all the apps from Smule that aren't available on Droid?

Are you sure you're being thorough in your searches? I came up with a free application called newspapers in a couple seconds. Try it, it's a compilation of several newspapers including the New York Times. I'll post if I find anything for Rachel Maddow.

Terra

Reaction score
Can someone please offer any help regarding my previous post?

OP
silverx10

silverx10

Reaction score
At this point, I'd recommend just trying a factory reset if you haven't already. That usually does the trick.

dp2sholly

Reaction score
7. iI was listening to the engadget podcast concerning the DROID, actually, and they commented on how long it took them to find Better Keyboard amongst the myriad of Better Keyboard skins.

Not sure if this is obvious (just got my Moto Droid last week), but I found you can do a search in Marketplace and use operator functions to narrow the search just like you can with regular Google searches.

For example, I did a normal search for Better Keyboard (search term: better keyboard) and it was buried in all the skins & theme results that came back.

I then did search and excluded skins & themes (search term: better keyboard -skins -themes) and Better Keyboard was the 2nd result in the list.

OP
silverx10

silverx10

Reaction score
I just started to notice that it's a lot like that. Still, 's more work than you had to do in the iPhone App Store, but that's neither here nor there, I suppose. Love it or hate it, 's the way things are for the time being, so I'll take that into consideration.

That being said, anybody else having problems with WiFi? I've done the search here on the forums, which points toward the issue being a problem with specific types of authentication. However, my problem isn't connecting to the router, it's just... I dunno.

It'll always have me flagged as connected, but the connection won't actually allow me to browse the net, or access the Marketplace.

But if I disable the WiFi, everything works on 3G. And if I then go in and re-enable WiFi, it works (though I have to uncheck the WiFi box, re-check it, and then go into the WiFi settings to force it to re-connect to the network).

/sigh

A bunch of small problems adding up to a relatively bothersome experience.

But not enough to sway me from the DROID 'sperience.

darreno1

Reaction score
^^I setup and troubleshoot wireless networks quite frequently and I've probably connected to about 8-10 networks with the Droid including my own at home and I've yet to have a problem. I've used it on wep but mostly WPA/WPA2 networks without issue.

I'm going to assume the router you're referring to is at home. Couple things to try:
1. restart the router - sometimes this simple step is all it takes.
2. temporarily disable all encryption to see if that's the issue. If it's able to browse, then at least you've narrowed down your problem.
3. update the router's firmware.
4. Sometimes changing out the router is the only way to solve it.

Of course you could have a faulty Droid. One way to know is to try another on the same network, but I doubt that.

Last edited:
OP
silverx10

silverx10

Reaction score
And this is why IT is the bane of my existence.

Because it can be a combination of any of those things (or any single one of them, for that matter).

But we'll see what happens, I guess. 's still just a minor inconvenience at the worst.

kinhell

Reaction score
I've been getting used to the slide-out keyboard, but the one thing I hit by accident is the search button.. if there's a way to disable this that'd be great!

brewerc

Reaction score
Well I know this isn't on the list but has anyone had the problem of their droid randomly ringing and/or vibrating notifying that they have a message but there isn't a message there and it also blinks pink when it doesn't this