DROID Question

ark(i)tek

Reaction score
Fur,
Yeah I like the tethering - maybe I should just go from rooted 2.1 to rooted 2.2. - that thread you linked to seemed to indicate that the OTA update might actually be different than the latest leaked version out there, so I figured maybe see if there is any major difference between the two first?
I'll have to think on it.
Will it be a major difficulty going from stock 2.2. to rooted 2.2? Or is that not something that has been "worked out" yet?

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
I'd say go from root to root. I'm thinking Hookbill might be right when he says that any real changes would have been indicated by a different build number, but nothing's 100% for sure. Any differences will be minor and if there are any that are really important, someone will add them in somehow and make it available.

Nobody knows if stock 2.2 to rooted 2.2 will be all that difficult with the OTA update, but since all the leaks have been rooted in no time flat I doubt it. I'd make a nandroid backup tonight (assuming you have SPRecovery -- I'm 100% unfamiliar with ClockworkMod and how it works) and flash in the stock 2.2 FRG01B ROM, see how you like it, and wait to see if anyone finds major discrepancies from the OTA.

The downside of that is having to reinstall all your apps, but you'd lose root with the OTA and there's no real guarantee it'd be easy to recover without having to flash a ROM anyway. :)

ark(i)tek

Reaction score
Fur,
Thanks again for all your advice! Means a LOT.
I think I'm with you - I'll go from rooted 2.1 to rooted 2.2 - the bare bones must be the same and any little extra "goodies" will probably get noticed and released on this forum ASAP.
So I do have SPRecovery and I will make a backup of my current configuration tonight - then I will hit this forum for a good tutorial of how to go from stock 2.1 rooted to stock 2.2 rooted.

Thanks again.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
You're quite welcome. :)

Enjoy whatever flavor of FroYo you end up running. I found plain vanilla (stock) sweet, but I love the deep, rich, subtle flavors of my Cyanogenmod. :-D

ark(i)tek

Reaction score
I haven't ever installed a ROM - only rooted - I dont' know enough about the ROMS and whenever I poke around the forum I keep bumping into posts about how buggy the ROMS are and how ultimately the phone runs better when stock rooted.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
I haven't heard too many bug reports kicking around for the ones I watch, but then again I'm not someone who swaps ROMs like I was hiring hookers for a political convention. :)

If you don't feel it's worth it, don't do it. Absolute stability is a very important consideration, and one that's worthy of respect -- and the goal of any GOOD ROM developer -- but I've found that most people, once they start trying ROMs and themes, don't stop.

Vanilla ice cream is my favorite anyway. dancedroid

ark(i)tek

Reaction score
Yeah - I guess ROMS are like tattoos - you can't stop after you get one?

ark(i)tek

Reaction score
Fur,
Is it possible for me to simply download the Froyo 2.2 file - rename it update.zip and copy it to the phone and install the same way I did 2.1 (hold down X and choose "install update.zip")?
Is there anything else I need to do to go from rooted 2.1 to rooted 2.2.?

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
If you have the ROM (yes, I had to say it) you want, assuming you got one that's designed to be installed that way then yes, that's all you have to do. Don't forget to tell it to allow the install before trying to install the update.zip, though.

I'm going to see if I can dig up the right link for you here, as well as a couple of other things for myself (like a new ULV 1.1Ghz kernel from Chevy that promises CPU temperature monitoring again). Back in a bit.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
Yep, you should be golden. I keep forgetting about that post you linked to. I really should save the link so I can direct people there more often. Thanks for reminding me :-D

Oh, and Droiddefdoes -- Sorry for hijacking your thread. I hope all your questions have been answered!

ark(i)tek

Reaction score
+1 for sorry about the hijacking - you just happened to ask a question that was close enough to mine.
:)

ark(i)tek

Reaction score
Hey Fur,
Just updated to 2.2 Froyo - seems fine, all my stuff is in the same exact place except the phone now says "2.2".
I'll test it out a little and maybe download a P3 kernel.....
Thanks again for all your help.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
That could be an issue with Helix. Make sure you have the latest version of it (of course), because it might not behave well with FroYo yet. I've had zero problems with ADW launcher (comes standard in Cyanogenmod), so that's an option if you're open to it. :)