Droid question from a deaf guy

lailoken

Reaction score
I've been looking around for a phone for me to use, sans voice plan.

The closest I could find is the blackberry phones which has the voice plan as optional, and according to the verizon website when you purchase a samsung rogue, it also has a data-plan only option, though the sales clerks in the brick and mortar claims otherwise.

I've been putting off getting a phone when I first heard about the droid series, since it seemed better.

But every time I look, I'm seeing that I'm being required to get both voice and data plans, even though I've talked to the sales clerks about possibly waiving off the voice requirement, even offered to pay full price for the phone, I'm still not getting any luck getting anywhere.

These droids are the droids I'm looking for (SW pun intended, couldn't resist), but as it is, I'm looking at either getting the blackberry storm 2 or some cheap pay as you go phone from wal-mart (ick).

Is there anyone who knows something, maybe eventually down the line as more droid phones becomes available, this voice requirement is going to be removed? Or should I just look elsewhere?

harv2000

Reaction score
I considered getting the Droid as a Data only device, and the answer at my brick and mortar Verizon store was that "yes, there is a data only plan for $50/month."

Lafond

Reaction score
Both Verizon & AT&T told me the only way I could get a smartphone with data only is with documented hearing issues. Should be the same by you. Not sure the details of the plan since it didn't apply to me, but they sounded very accomodating.

Maybe talk to one of the managers.

Last edited:

jbaughb

Reaction score
They have plans specifically for deaf customers. The person above was correct about price. $50 a month for unlimited data (no text...have to add a package for that too).

Its kind of a ripoff IMO. T-Mobile used to have unlimited data plans for sidekicks for deaf customers at $30 a month but even they increased it to $45 if I remember correctly.

cvhovey

Reaction score
Just for clarification...in case someone pulls up this thread while doing a search...I wanted to provide some info on data-only / no-voice plans available to us deaf people:

VERIZON WIRELESS: After getting repeated conflicting info from telesales, online store and brick-and-mortar reps, I came across a higher level Verizon Wireless official's email address. Fired off an email, expecting no response. But lo and behold, I did get a response, on a weekend at that. Bottom line was profuse apologies for obvious confusion on Verizon Wireless' part, that the unlimited data, no-voice plans are available to anyone now (so no disability documention is needed), and that the $49.99 unlimited data PDA/Smartphone plan is actually supposed to be ONLY for corporate customers (no messaging included). The actual (OVERPRICED) no-voice plan options can be found here: Accessibility: Nationwide Messaging Plans

T-MOBILE: As of 12/2009 they continue to offer the $29.99/month data-only / voice block plan for the Sidekick line. On my wife's online plan details page this plan is lsted "SKICK Unl Plus II VB". I confirmed with a store manager that this data-only can be obtained on the newer LX 2009 model. They offer a similar plan for Blackberries at $39.99/month. I don't think you can get this from kiosks or some resellers. And not all stores seem to be familiar with this plan so you may need to use the toll-free line to get these plans or use one of the deaf wireless vendors who market these plans. Unfortunately as of 12/2009 T-Mobile hasn't yet made any Android device available under a data-only plan. They did offer me the least expensive web+email+voice plan on the Android for $55/month, but why pay for voice calling that I cannot use?! Sigh...

SPRINT: Sprint offers a limited choice of Blackberry, WinMo, and Android devices (Samsung Moment and HTC Hero) under a special unlimited data / no voice plan for $29.99/month. This plan is NOT available in stores or through Telesales. Gotta go through the Sprint Relay Store.

[Sadly, I want to move up to an Android device like the Droid, but as far as I can tell, all Android devices suck when it comes to the vibrate function...which a lot of deaf people rely heavily upon. And I cannot find any email app or reminder notification app that allows creating repeat email (vibration) notifications. The Missed Call app doesn't include email. Why is it that cutting edge Android smartphones can't do such a pre-school task like this??!! :mad: ]