1. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Droid Prototype

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by pwrdbykyank, Jan 25, 2010.

1. pwrdbykyank

pwrdbykyank New Member

Hey guys i didnt know where else to post it so im posting it in this section. Just got my hands on the prototype and here are some pics for now. I will soon be taking it apart to see what else is different on the inside from the prototype to the release version just for curiosity lol. If anyone has any requests let me know, as i will be taking videos of the phone and uploading to my website in the near future once my developer is finished with the site.

As you can see, the boot up image of motorola logo is black with white backround, whereas the release version is white with black backround.

[​IMG]

There is also a motorola logo on the top left like a hologram as can be seen in the picture, and its also see through, so im assuming some of the sensors are there or there might be a LED light there, which thus far hasnt turned on so i will know for sure once i look inside. Also the motorola writing under the earpiece isnt there.

[​IMG]

There is an extra button on the side of the phone on the prototype, which puts the phone on/off silent.

[​IMG]

On the back where it says google, on the prototype its a glass/mirror panel where you can see yourself, where as the release version is not. (its more nicer with the glass/mirror dont know why they took it away)

[​IMG]

Where the 4 keys are on the front for back, menu, home and search, on the protoype there is a LED under each of the keys and they are more exposed where as on the release version they have 2 leds on the left and two on the right which dont lie directly underneath the keys. (thus causing it not to be as bright..again its nicer on the prototype i dont know why they changed it.)

[​IMG]

Here you can see both keypads, prototype on bottom has a silver finish compared to the gold on top for the navigation button. Also the keypad on the prototype is much more dim, not too bright to be able to see at night.

[​IMG]

Here is a closer pic of the chrome finish on the prototype. Also the LED indicator is much more bold and how do i say this, more wide or fat, im guessing a larger LED is on the prototype compared to the release.

[​IMG]

Prototype Left, Release Right.

[​IMG]
  2. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member Premium Member

What OS is it running?
  3. Martin030908

Martin030908 Super Moderator

I like the larger LED.... and the chrome edge, for some reason.
  4. Guchi

Guchi New Member

my keyboard looks like the one on the prototype?? the keys on the other one look like they are raised
  5. natediddy1120

natediddy1120 New Member

i really like that chrome around the edges...it wouldve been nice if they kept that and painted it gold around the edges to match the dpad button and the speaker on the back and the camera button...that would look nice and match the theme of the black/gold the Droid has goin on... :)
  6. Aaron636r

Aaron636r New Member

Thanks for sharing
  7. natediddy1120

natediddy1120 New Member

Id say thats 2.0.1 judging from the lockscreen...unless he put 2.1 on it...
  8. Backnblack

Backnblack Premium Member Premium Member

Nice Find!
  9. tktouch12

tktouch12 New Member

i really like the chrome on the edges
  10. pwrdbykyank

pwrdbykyank New Member

hey guys, ya guchi is right, the keypad is flatter where as on the release one its raised.. atleast on mine it is lol, As for the software its Firm: 2.0.1 Base:C_01.3E.o1P Build: ESD56
  11. Clownassasin

Clownassasin New Member

Wow it looks so nice, Why did they change most of that stuff? Great find my friend. Mind i asking how in the hell you landed your hands on a prototype?
  12. pwrdbykyank

pwrdbykyank New Member

thanks :), got it on ebay from some guy, paid a lot of money for it but i collect prototypes and stuff so eh its a hobby had to get this one for sure.
  13. Martin030908

Martin030908 Super Moderator

its running the update we received on Dec 11th... was it activated that it received the OTA or did whoever you bought it from manually update it? I wouldn't think a prototype would have an OTA build.
  14. wuyanks

wuyanks DF News Team Premium Member

OP: you need to contact the developers at alldroid.org. they might be able to get some important info from that device for development purposes :) :)
  15. pwrdbykyank

pwrdbykyank New Member

oh dunno, doesnt look like anyone changed the main board since on bootup its a white backround, also the phone is in perfect condition no blemishes to show its been taken apart, so i guess either a OTA or manual update no idea
  16. sparticus

sparticus New Member

anyway to get a pic of the top of the phone where the current power button is?
  17. pwrdbykyank

pwrdbykyank New Member

its exactly the same as the current power, same size same config same look
  18. wuyanks

wuyanks DF News Team Premium Member

19. DigiK

DigiK New Member

Beautiful...I've always preferred the look of Motorola's flagship devices over Apple because they adhere to a more Bauhausian form-follows-function, machine aesthetic versus minimalism for minimalism/dumbing-down's sake.

The brushed metal screen bezel on the proto-type was actually a better design decision because it would have not have shown wear from scratches and rubbing that occurs with the black paint on production model.

The large LED , silver grill, and black glass camera insert all contribute to a classy retro-chic techie look that most likely was nixed by VZWs purported concerns about the device looking too masculine and/or value engineering. IMO if anything, the prototype looks more like a piece of fine jewelry that I believe women would have found more attractive. That's what you get when you let the bean-counters and execs stick their hands into the design... =/
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2010
Search tags for this page

droid hologram phone

holographic phone orototype