Droid Pro vs. Droid 2

mtavenger55

Reaction score
The thing that I hate about the Droid 2 is that it is a slide out keyboard -- not a candy bar keyboard like the Blackberries. The hassle of having to slide out your keyboard every time you want to type a message gets annoying for me. I am someone that sends a LOT of text messages and emails a day. I want my keyboard to be right there in front of me, ready for me to type.

If I were you, I would wait until your phone arrives to try out the keyboard and the screen to see if that is what you want. Then go to a Verizon store and try out the screen and keyboard on the Droid 2.

That's the main reason why I got the Pro. I don't like slide out keyboards or the way the Droid 2's keyboard felt. I went to the Verizon store to test out the Droid 2's keyboard & wasn't impressed. Even though the store I went to didn't have the Pros yet (it was last Tuesday when I went) my current phone is a Blackberry so I pretty much no what to expect from the keyboard & from the early reviews that I've read on it the Pro's keyboard is pretty much the same if not better than Blackberrys. I need a keyboard or I would have got the X. Speaking of which my Pro better get here soon!

OP
O

OmahaEngineer

Reaction score
Love My Pro

Thanks to everyone who replied. I've had my Pro for 3 days now and love it. The keyboard is great. I went to a VZW store and tried the slider keyboard of the Droid 2 and I agree ... it has a flat feel and I don't want to slide each time I want to use it. It seems a must for one-handed operation while walking. Repeat ... LOVE my Pro. It's a keeper.

BTW, Kuzdroid ... If your Droid 2 came from VZW, it does not have a sim card (although the new VZW Droid 2 Global does). The Pro is the first android to have both CDMA & GSM capabilities. My new Pro came with a Vodaphone sim card installed. That sim card allows me to toggle between CDMA or GSM. FYI: CDMA is what VZW uses in the US. Most of the countries that I visit also allow CDMA (Mexico, Brazil, Colombia, S. Korea, and China). Most European countries allow only GSM. If you travel to Europe and want to maintain your existing VZW number, you need one of the several CDMA/GSM phones which VZW offers.

Kuzdroid

Reaction score
OmahaEngineer- Thanks for the info. I think I am going to wait and see what if any black friday deals VZW will have, and buy the pro. I realized that when I type with the DPro, even when I thought I hit the wrong key, it is the right one. I found myself typing waaaay faster then on my D2. The only thing I'm not that fond of is the screen resolution. But it's a small complaint to a great device. Also I think it's great that companies are still making phones with small screens rather than getting bigger and bigger...

It's funny how a lot of people thought the DPro was a bust, but turns out you can't judge a book by it's cover.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I have large fingers. I hope that I will be able to type with ease on the Droid Pro. It will probably take some getting used to since I have never used a Blackberry (other than my father's Bold for like 2 seconds to type a message for him while he was driving).

I could type on the Droid 2 no problem at all.

marmot8

Reaction score
OmahaEngineer- Thanks for the info. I think I am going to wait and see what if any black friday deals VZW will have, and buy the pro. I realized that when I type with the DPro, even when I thought I hit the wrong key, it is the right one. I found myself typing waaaay faster then on my D2. The only thing I'm not that fond of is the screen resolution. But it's a small complaint to a great device. Also I think it's great that companies are still making phones with small screens rather than getting bigger and bigger...

It's funny how a lot of people thought the DPro was a bust, but turns out you can't judge a book by it's cover.

you think verizon would possibly offer the pro at a lower price for black friday? seems unlikely given how many people would be purchasing it a couple weeks before (within the 30 day period to boot)

Kuzdroid

Reaction score
Now my friend just got his and I gotta say I really love it. So now I have a question- is it possible to buy a Droid Pro, and switch sims from my droid 2 and switch between phones whenever, or does verizon not use sims?

VZW is a CDMA carrier. They don't utilize sim cards for their phones (even though the Pro has one for overseas usage). Its easy to switch, you can call *228, go on-line or call 611. Won't take more than 3 minutes to swap devices.

So just to be clear, all I have to do is buy the Pro, then call 611 and it will automatically change my phone for me. And am I able to switch back and forth between the two whenever I please?

Sebastian

Reaction score
Now my friend just got his and I gotta say I really love it. So now I have a question- is it possible to buy a Droid Pro, and switch sims from my droid 2 and switch between phones whenever, or does verizon not use sims?

VZW is a CDMA carrier. They don't utilize sim cards for their phones (even though the Pro has one for overseas usage). Its easy to switch, you can call *228, go on-line or call 611. Won't take more than 3 minutes to swap devices.

So just to be clear, all I have to do is buy the Pro, then call 611 and it will automatically change my phone for me. And am I able to switch back and forth between the two whenever I please?

No, when you call 611 a csr will do it for you.

spydergirl

Reaction score
You can also do it online and follow the instructions. The website walks you right through the steps very easily. From what I understand, you CANNOT switch back and forth between phones on one account, but I might be wrong.

danwanna

Reaction score
I switch my phones a lot. As long as the rate plans are compatible and you are activating a phone that isn't currently active it is very easy

The only times I've had trouble is when switching to a dumb phone and back using the *228 method. For those I've started using the Verizon site. It does create some strange prorated billing issues when you have to add and remove data plans. I wish they would just let me keep the smartphone data plan on the dumb phone for the couple days that I am using it.

If you need to swap phones that are both active (1st & 2nd line) you will need to talk to a CSR. I haven't had that problem for a while because of all the phones I have laying around :).

EuroDriver

Reaction score
I second that. I use the DX as my "regular" phone and I bought a Droid Pro for travel (for the same reason - got tired of my plan getting all discombobulated every time they took the data plan off/on). Just *228 (send), option 1 and you can switch back and forth between devices all you want. Only caviat is - and this has only happened to me once, is that it took a couple of hours for the phone to activate. You can get a temporary "global plan" as an add-on feature if you are traveling for less than 20 days, I believe.

Prefaced with the fact that, as I mentioned I use the X as my "regular" device, I find the screenon the Pro a bit small and I'm second-guessing myself whether I should have bought the D2 Global instead....