Droid Pro vs. Droid 2

OmahaEngineer

Reaction score
I ordered a Pro the morning of the 9th. I hope to get mine today (Fed-Ex delivers today, right?).
Question ...
Right after I placed my order, I noticed that the Droid 2 Global was available. Should I have purchased that? Yes, I travel international often. I'm a newbie to smartphones (although I used to have a Trio). I understand that the portrait keyboard of the Pro is best for one-handed texting, but wouldn't the large landscape screen of the Droid 2 be great for Internet browsing? Opinions please.

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
If I traveled International (which I don't get to do often enough) I would have definitely gone with the Droid 2 Global - the slide out keyboard is much bigger than that of the Pro as well as screen size -

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Isn't the Droid Pro the Blackberry looking Android phone? I didn't like whichever one that was, I don't need a reminder about Blackberry.

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
HB, you really hate bb huh?

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score

Not that I hate it, it's just that the technology is so far behind either a Droid or an iPhone. I suppose it might appeal to some people, it just doesn't float my boat.

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
If it were up to me....I would totally go with the D2 global. Bigger is better most times. I may be biased as I have a D1 and love it like a second child :)

morcguy

Reaction score
I just came over from a Blackberry 2 weeks ago. The D Pro looks interesting but the small screen was the deal breaker for me. I really liked the ergonomics of the BB keyboard but I am beginning to get comfortable with the touch screen on the X. Having owned and used an iPad and iPod Touch, I can say that the Android auto-complete and spellcheck are FAR superior to Apple's.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

Kuzdroid

Reaction score
Personally, I think you'll be just fine with the Droid Pro, I mean they are both running the same software, and to be honest, I dont even use the physical keyboard on my D2 that much. I will usually use the portrait touchscreen for texting, web browsing ect. I'm not sure why, I think it might be that I like looking at things in portrait orientation, or maybe I'm just lazy.. It's just kind of annoying sliding it open to type something simple , then closing it again and back and forth and so on. But again, same software, you have a physical keypad regardless for those long emails, so I'm sure you'll be fine, it's just a matter of getting used to it, which shouldn't take that long.

OP
O

OmahaEngineer

Reaction score
Thanks Kuzdroid

Thanks Kuzdroid. I've had my Pro for one day now and I like the keyboard. I've got fairly large hands and it seems to work well for me (although it seems like I'm hitting the buttons with the edge of my thumb nails). I don't think I've used the screen keyboard at all, other than to dial a phone number (the 10-digit keyboard pops up then). I've viewed a few videos in landscape mode and the screen size seems fine. Thanks again for your comments. Overall, I'm having fun with my new Pro.

mtavenger55

Reaction score

Not that I hate it, it's just that the technology is so far behind either a Droid or an iPhone. I suppose it might appeal to some people, it just doesn't float my boat.

I agree, currently own a Blackberry Curve 8330 & ordered a Pro yesterday. I would've kept my BB but I'm not a fan of BB's OS which is why I bought a Pro. I wanted a Android phone but simular to a BB.

Kuzdroid

Reaction score
Well good to hear! I went to Verizon today, and tried the DPro and i really liked it too. Keyboard was great, and it was very snappy. Form factor was cool too.

Reaction score
The thing that I hate about the Droid 2 is that it is a slide out keyboard -- not a candy bar keyboard like the Blackberries. The hassle of having to slide out your keyboard every time you want to type a message gets annoying for me. I am someone that sends a LOT of text messages and emails a day. I want my keyboard to be right there in front of me, ready for me to type.

If I were you, I would wait until your phone arrives to try out the keyboard and the screen to see if that is what you want. Then go to a Verizon store and try out the screen and keyboard on the Droid 2.

Kuzdroid

Reaction score
Now my friend just got his and I gotta say I really love it. So now I have a question- is it possible to buy a Droid Pro, and switch sims from my droid 2 and switch between phones whenever, or does verizon not use sims?

Sebastian

Reaction score
Now my friend just got his and I gotta say I really love it. So now I have a question- is it possible to buy a Droid Pro, and switch sims from my droid 2 and switch between phones whenever, or does verizon not use sims?

VZW is a CDMA carrier. They don't utilize sim cards for their phones (even though the Pro has one for overseas usage). Its easy to switch, you can call *228, go on-line or call 611. Won't take more than 3 minutes to swap devices.