Droid Pro: Sync to Outlook

traceeglu

Reaction score
Good Morning
I am a former Blackberry User and all my contacts and calendar are on outlook. When I got my Droid Pro, I installed Facebook and all my 1600+ friends went onto my Droid. What I really need is to get my Outlook contacts and calendar onto my phone, then delete all those contacts from Facebook.

Anyone know a painless way to do this! Thanks so much!

In Health!
Tracee

jpcalhoun

Reaction score
Good Morning
I am a former Blackberry User and all my contacts and calendar are on outlook. When I got my Droid Pro, I installed Facebook and all my 1600+ friends went onto my Droid. What I really need is to get my Outlook contacts and calendar onto my phone, then delete all those contacts from Facebook.

In Health!
Tracee
Important question...are you tied to a corporate email account?

OP
T

traceeglu

Reaction score
Nope! Just all my personal contacts, calendar, etc are in Outlook! I bought this phone because I was told it sync's with Outlook...
Thanks!

jpcalhoun

Reaction score
Nope! Just all my personal contacts, calendar, etc are in Outlook! I bought this phone because I was told it sync's with Outlook...
Thanks!
Ok, bare with me here. Keeping your Outlook info sync'd with your Pro is a little different than what you did with your BB. First, you have to establish a gmail account if you haven't already done that. Once you have a gmail account established (its free) there are a couple of ways to proceed. One way is to create a .cvs file containing your Outlook contacts...you can do that in Outlook>contacts>File menu>export/import. This will create a .cvs file that you can import into gmail contacts. Just go to gmail>contacts>import the file you just created in Outlook...it works fast and great, all your outlook contact data will be imported into your gmail contacts list. The other way is to get an app called gsyncIt (http://www.daveswebsite.com/software/gsync/). It cost about $20 and is an Outlook "plugin". Once you get gsyncit setup it will keep your outlook data, to include calendar, sync'd with gmail. It will sync at predetermined times or you can initiate the sync yourself. If you choose to go the gsyncit route you don't have to create the .cvs file outlined above. The other option is an app called CampanionLink. I've never used it...all I know is it cost about $50 but I think you can sync using a USB connection. The key thing to keep in mind is that gmail is what will keep your contacts and calendar in sycn with your Pro. GsyncIt is the software that keeps your Outlook in sync with gmail. There may be other ways, but these two ways have worked for me...but I prefer gsyncit as the way to keep my outlook data sync'd to my Pro via gmail.

OP
T

traceeglu

Reaction score
Wow thanks! I will try this...I was hoping it would be simple!

Have a beautiful day!
Tracee

jpcalhoun

Reaction score
Good Morning

In Health!
Tracee
A follow-on to my post above. I am a former BB and Outlook user myself. I used BB and Outlook for business for years. I wrestled with getting by Outlook data sync'd with my Pro for days. The two methods I outlined work...but I got to be honest with you...I seldom use Outlook anymore...for business or personal email etc. Gmail (this is not an advertisement for Google) does everything so seamlessly with the Pro that trying to keep Outlook updated wasn't worth it. I have all four of my email accounts forwarded to my gmail account that in turns immediately sends them to my Pro without having to change email addresses. You can setup gmail to act like BIS if you want for all your email also. Keeping contacts, calendars, documents, notes etc in sync is immediate and effortless with gmail. But, you got to do what works best for you.

dirty6

Reaction score
i don't know about the calendar but i'm almost certain that google publishes a tool (for free) that will keep Outlook contacts in sync with Google contacts. it's been awhile since I was a windows user, however, so i am going to resist being quoted on this one.

jpcalhoun

Reaction score
i don't know about the calendar but i'm almost certain that google publishes a tool (for free) that will keep Outlook contacts in sync with Google contacts. it's been awhile since I was a windows user, however, so i am going to resist being quoted on this one.
Yeah, I think you're right, but I think you have to have the corporate google software that helps exchange users migrate to google...but like you, don't quote me on that.

dirty6

Reaction score
nah, you don't need any fancy corporate stuff. i looked it up real quick--and i stand corrected, this is for calendar sync, not contact sync. google publishes an tool that keeps your Google calendar in sync with your Outlook...

Sync with Microsoft Outlook - Google Calendar Help

i used to use that back in the dark ages, you know, when i had an intel celeron laptop at work and a treo 700w in my pocket.

OP
T

traceeglu

Reaction score
OK you guys, this is working great so far! Thank you! I will try to switch everything over to gmail and the contact portion is working great. All on my Droid now. I did export from Outlook to Gmail and it's good.

I recreated my simple calendar on my gmail page...but now how to get that on the phone??

Thank you!
Tracee

moodydon

Reaction score
Sync

I use companionlink and it works just fine. It syncs all my outlook data, contacts, calendar, notes, tasks,etc. $40 one time charge and you are done., Well worth it since I use it for business and the Droid Pro is my lifeline.

rocket_girl

Reaction score
You can use the Pro's Corporate Sync feature. I know you said your 9utlook is personal...this should still work. Go into accounts and follow prompts for setting up Corporate Sync. You will need to enter all the same info here that you needed to set up an email acct on BB. You can then choose to sync calendar, contacts, and tasks with individual checkboxes for each.

I initially used the google option, then replaced with this when I learned about it. Works flawlessly.

Sent from my DROID PRO using DroidForums

jpcalhoun

Reaction score
OK you guys, this is working great so far! Thank you! I will try to switch everything over to gmail and the contact portion is working great. All on my Droid now. I did export from Outlook to Gmail and it's good.

I recreated my simple calendar on my gmail page...but now how to get that on the phone??

Thank you!
Tracee
traceeglu, did you go into calendar through your gmail account and select the setup options? Go to your gmail account, select the calendar tab in the top left corner next to the gmail tab, once in calendar select the "icon" next to your gmail username, then select settings. One important setting is under the "mobile setup" tab. IMPORTANT...after completing each tab in calendar setup make sure you select SAVE before going to the next tab. Hope this helps.