Droid Pro rooting for dummies!!

negligentinmate

Reaction score
ok so i know that there are TONS of stickies and how-to's for rooting in just about every scenario, but given my frustration level and troubles involved, ive decided to atleast share my knowledge on the subject.I recently OTA my phone from 2.2.0 to 2.2.1, which not only caused my phone to unroot, but also made z4root (the easiest root app IMO) unusable. so the following is going to be a compilation of links and info that i have used to successfully root my 2.2.1 pro.

Now, if you dont know what rooting is...check out this thread first then youll have a better understanding
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-hacks/632-what-root-means-stop-asking.html

ok so there are numerous rooting programs out there but im gonna mention 3 of them...
1.z4root---probably one of the most simple and easy root programs..just have to download it directly to your phone, choose either temp or perm root..and tada! youre rooted...only problem is this doesnt work for 2.2.1 or newer :(
2.superoneclick--a little more involved (need computer access) but still relatively simple. this is the one that i used and i will focus on in a bit.
3.aroot--to me the more confusing of the 3 choices listed here. still need computer access.

As i mentioned before, i had updated my phone to 2.2.1 which made z4root useless to me..but if you HAVEN'T updated and are still at 2.2.0 and want to root, heres a link to z4root...just have to dl and follow instructions. -------http:/http://www.megaupload.com/?d=N3126UA1------enjoy your new rooted android:)

if you have updated to 2.2.1 and experienced the same results with z4root (not rooting).. your second option is superoneclick. without getting too in-depth, sometimes people would run into rooting issues because they did not have the up to date drivers.. the link im going to provide will be for the superoneclick WITH drivers...should eliminate any driver issues.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=803682-------the download links are at the bottom of the original post.

once you have downloaded superoneclick, there are a few things that you should do before running it.
1. unmount your sd card.(settings<sd card<unmount)
2. backup your phone (optional, i did not and was ok)
3.make sure usb debugging is on (settings<applications<development<usb debugging)

now finally plug your Droid Pro into your computer via USB cable. now make sure that your phone is set to "pc mode". once superoneclick is open, you will notice a few buttons along the top. (root,shell root..etc)

root-- will give you full root access( this option places Superuser files on your phone. Superuser ultimately grants you unabided access to EVERYTHING in your phone)
shell root--this is more of a "semi-root" option, it does not place SU files on phone and doesnt give you 100% control of your phone (i believe)

Once the 3 steps above have been taken, simply click "root" or "shell root", whichever your choice is.( i suggest "root" because its giving you 100% control and SU files)... youll notice that the superoneclick program starts running thru some commands.. youll then notice that itll say "waiting on device"...this is where you want to pay attention... normally one of two things will happen, youll get a "if your phone keeps looping.." issue or itll root successfully...if you get the looping issue, simply go back and shutoff "usb debugging" then run the program again..
if your phone rooted successfully, youll notice that superoneclick will then inform you that busybox is not installed and if youd like it to install...simply click yes... the program will then want to "test" the root to make sure its complete..follow thru with this.. once completed, safely unplug your phone, and reboot via power button. once rebooted, if you go into your full applications menu, you will notice a superuser icon, (looks like an android skull and bones)...this means your phone has been successfully rooted!!! (oh and remount your sd card if need be:) )

Now if you dont have internet access on your computer, you simply have to download the root program to your sd card from your droid pro, then transfer it to your computer.

at this moment i do not have rooting experience with aroot, but i plan on adding some here the next week or so, that way if anyone experiences problems with superoneclick, you can try aroot.
heres a link for aroot--
http://ponack.net/designgears/atrix/aRoot/

again, this is my attempt at a rooting for dummies, trying to put as much info and good links in a single thread as possible, please if you have questions feel free to ask but i would like to remind you that 1. i dont know all the answers and 2. i have a family and life, so please be patient.

ENJOY!!!

itsmiami

Reaction score
Finally

I had looked and looked for a way to root my Droid Pro and just kept reading about how I needed to rerun Z4Root again or that I was doing it wrong. Well, super1click did it on the first try. No battery pulls, no mess, just click and go.

Thanks for the great info.

jcprodroid

Reaction score
Failed

Tried super one click and it wouldnt work on my droid pro. Continuous waiting for device and S.O.C. stopped responding. tried shutting off USB Debugging and same problem, I dont know what to do??:icon_eek: