Droid Pro Call Quality

jefe533

Reaction score
Hi all,

I just bought a Droid Pro and, while I'm loving everything about the phone, the call quality is pretty poor. I'd read in certain reviews that this was the case, and it's proving to be true.

Voices sound mildly garbled, and often if the person speaking on the other end says a monosyllabic word (such as "yes" or "no") to a question, it won't come through at all.

Have other people been experiencing this?

My question is whether this is a hardware problem or a software problem. If it's a hardware problem (i.e., they made a bad speaker), I'll have to return the phone.

But my sense is that it's a software problem. It seems like there's a noise cancellation algorithm (like an EQ or something) filtering the incoming call and attempting to suppress the background noise. Hence the overall digitized sound, as well as the monosyllabic drops (the software doesn't register it as speech since it's so short).

If it is a software issue, I wonder if Motorola might address this in a future firmware update.

Any thoughts?

bwhite757

Reaction score
It depresses me to see posts like this simply because I'm not experiencing half the problems others are with this phone. I'm coming from the Samsung Fascinate, and the call quality on that thing was absolutely horrid, however I had a Droid1 before that, and I would put the Droid Pro over the Droid 1 in call quality. Voices and clear and crisp, I'm having no problems at all, and people on the other end don't have any problems hearing me. I would try a phone swap and see if it's any better, because if my Pro can produce clear calls, yours should be able to also.

kgumbiner

Reaction score
I have no problems and voice quality is great

Sent from my DROID PRO

spydergirl

Reaction score
It depresses me to see posts like this simply because I'm not experiencing half the problems others are with this phone. I'm coming from the Samsung Fascinate, and the call quality on that thing was absolutely horrid, however I had a Droid1 before that, and I would put the Droid Pro over the Droid 1 in call quality. Voices and clear and crisp, I'm having no problems at all, and people on the other end don't have any problems hearing me. I would try a phone swap and see if it's any better, because if my Pro can produce clear calls, yours should be able to also.

I agree with you. The call quality on my Fascinate was BEYOND horrid !!! It was HORRENDOUS !!! The quality on my Pro is really good and very clear and almost too loud. I keep having to turn down the volume for different people because it's so loud.

I am sorry as well to read these posts and think that maybe they should try swapping phones or exchanging them in for another model. After reading a few negative reviews about the call quality, I was afraid of experiencing the same thing, so I immediately asked everyone I talked-to for their opinion and they ALL gave raving good reports on the clarity of the calls.

Hope you can find a solution.

jlrockjr

Reaction score
I had the same call quality issues with my phone. If I turned the volume up more than half way it sounded like something was vibrating/robotic/static. People I called said they had trouble hearing me as well. I went to verizon tonight and got a replacement Droid Pro. This one has NONE of the call quality problems the old one has. Speaker sounds great on my end even with the volume all the way up. The people I have called so far say that my voice is completely clear. I would recommend getting a replacement.

flash24

Reaction score
I think the best solution to this is just hang up and text the person instead lol. I will probably swap mine out with a new one and just go from there.

thedose

Reaction score
strange, yours might be a lemon because the call quality on mine is crystal clear... even on overseas phone calls :shrug:

ravenhawk

Reaction score
I got mine and had terrible call quality and signal strength. While it did improve, strangely enough, over the course of a few days, it still wasn't great. I called Verizon and they sent me a replacement phone which has been working fine right out of the box. So, clearly, there are some (a lot?) of lemons out there. Call Verizon and have them send you a new one.

OP
J

jefe533

Reaction score
Thanks

Thanks for all the responses. I'm going to give it a few more days and attempt a return. Or I may wait a few weeks to do the return just to make sure they're giving me a unit from a different shipment.

flash24

Reaction score
Mine has been terrible, but when I went to my local Verizon store, they tried it out and it was working fine. They told me to hang on to mine and test it out more because according to this sale associate, I am only allowed one exchange during the 30 day period. I thought that was BS.

BubbaRob

Reaction score
Mine has been terrible, but when I went to my local Verizon store, they tried it out and it was working fine. They told me to hang on to mine and test it out more because according to this sale associate, I am only allowed one exchange during the 30 day period. I thought that was BS.

Well I spoke too soon...I am now having issues with my call quality on the receiving end. It's almost like the voices on the other end sound robotic when they speak loudly. And other times is sounds digitized, the same way it sounds when you have a low signal on the phone and the voices get garbled and digital. I am not sure if I am returning it yet or not, but I am bummed.

@flash24....I was told you can only swap to a DIFFERENT phone once in the 30 day period, however in this case you are not swapping to another phone. You are getting the SAME phone due to defects so I am not sure how they can get away with that. It's no different than if you were beyond your 30 day period and had the same issues. They would cover them under the one year warranty. I know people who have had six of the same phone until the defects were resolved. I would check on this before you decide what to do.

bwhite757

Reaction score
Get a better sales rep, or call customer care. Exchanging a defective device does not count against the 30 day exchange policy. Defective devices fall under warranty issues. The 30-day exchange or return policy falls under the "I don't like this phone and want a different model"

anuraj1

Reaction score
There is a trick on the D1 that increased call quality, and you could try it out on the Droid Pro.

On the dialer screen, dial ##PROGRAM

choose "vocode"

and choose either EVRC-B or 13k. (On the D1, the default was EVRC, which is a crappy voice compression/decompression algorithm")

Not sure if this will help, but it is worth checking out.