Droid plus Subsonic is killer

TheRandom1

Reaction score
It knows where most of them are though, that's the part I don't understand.

Here's an example of an iTunes playlist:

D:\Tunes\Music\Mötley Crüe\Red, White & Crüe [Disc 2]\09 Shout At The Devil.mp3

And a WMP playlist:

<media src="D:\Tunes\Music\Mötley Crüe\Saints Of Los Angeles\02 Face Down In The Dirt.mp3"/>

Aside from the "<media src" part, they both say the same type of location, right?

And when I loaded the playlist from WMP, it also didn't work.

Reaction score
I've actually been struggling with something similar. I use MediaMonkey to manage my library which is on a different computer (along with Subsonic).

Whenever I made an .m3u playlist from that library using my workstation, the tracks would be saved with the relative path, and I'd have to manually edit the entries with notepad.

I got sick of it, and found an add-on that will let me customize the playlist creation, so switching between relative and absolute paths is as simple as clicking a check-box.

Export M3Us For Child Nodes

Now I just highlight the songs I want included in the playlist, click "Export to .m3u playlist" and save it in my Subsonic playlist directory.

Reaction score
It knows where most of them are though, that's the part I don't understand.

Here's an example of an iTunes playlist:

D:\Tunes\Music\Mötley Crüe\Red, White & Crüe [Disc 2]\09 Shout At The Devil.mp3

And a WMP playlist:

<media src="D:\Tunes\Music\Mötley Crüe\Saints Of Los Angeles\02 Face Down In The Dirt.mp3"/>

Aside from the "<media src" part, they both say the same type of location, right?

And when I loaded the playlist from WMP, it also didn't work.

Please copy and paste the following onto a post:

1. an example of one of your complete WMP playlists
2. the path setup for your music folder on your subsonic server (for example: mine is "\\PUNISHER\Album Archive")

edit: I gotta get some rest. I'll check the forum to see how things are going tomorrow.

Last edited:

TheRandom1

Reaction score
Please copy and paste the following onto a post:

1. an example of one of your complete WMP playlists
2. the path setup for your music folder on your subsonic server (for example: mine is "\\PUNISHER\Album Archive")

edit: I gotta get some rest. I'll check the forum to see how things are going tomorrow.

The music is all in this main folder:
D:\Tunes\Music
From there it goes to folders sorted by artist/album/

Here is a copy of the WMP playlist that I tested with the Motley Crue SOLA album that doesn't work with iTunes either. (wpl file)

<?wpl version="1.0"?>
<smil>
<head>
<meta name="Generator" content="Microsoft Windows Media Player -- 12.0.7600.16415"/>
<meta name="ItemCount" content="0"/>
<title>motley crue</title>
</head>
<body>
<seq>
<media src="D:\Tunes\Music\Mötley Crüe\Saints Of Los Angeles\Saints of Los Angeles.m4a"/>
<media src="D:\Tunes\Music\Mötley Crüe\Saints Of Los Angeles\01 L.A.M.F..mp3"/>
<media src="D:\Tunes\Music\Mötley Crüe\Saints Of Los Angeles\03 Down At The Whisky.mp3"/>
<media src="D:\Tunes\Music\Mötley Crüe\Saints Of Los Angeles\04 Mother****er Of The Year.mp3"/>
<media src="D:\Tunes\Music\Mötley Crüe\Saints Of Los Angeles\06 Just Another Psycho.mp3"/>
<media src="D:\Tunes\Music\Mötley Crüe\Saints Of Los Angeles\07 The Animal In Me.mp3"/>
<media src="D:\Tunes\Music\Mötley Crüe\Saints Of Los Angeles\07 Chicks = Trouble.mp3"/>
<media src="D:\Tunes\Music\Mötley Crüe\Saints Of Los Angeles\08 Goin&apos; Out Swingin&apos;.mp3"/>
<media src="D:\Tunes\Music\Mötley Crüe\Saints Of Los Angeles\10 What&apos;s it gonna take.mp3"/>
<media src="D:\Tunes\Music\Mötley Crüe\Saints Of Los Angeles\11 Welcome to the machine.mp3"/>
<media src="D:\Tunes\Music\Mötley Crüe\Saints Of Los Angeles\12 This ain&apos;t a love song.mp3"/>
<media src="D:\Tunes\Music\Mötley Crüe\Saints Of Los Angeles\13 White trash circus.mp3"/>
</seq>
</body>
</smil>

Reaction score
The music is all in this main folder:
D:\Tunes\Music
From there it goes to folders sorted by artist/album/

Here is a copy of the WMP playlist that I tested with the Motley Crue SOLA album that doesn't work with iTunes either. (wpl file)

#EXTM3U

<?wpl version="1.0"?>
<smil>
<head>
<meta name="Generator" content="Microsoft Windows Media Player -- 12.0.7600.16415"/>
<meta name="ItemCount" content="0"/>
<title>motley crue</title>
</head>
<body>
<seq>
<media src="D:\Tunes\Music\Mötley Crüe\Saints Of Los Angeles\Saints of Los Angeles.m4a
<media src="D:\Tunes\Music\Mötley Crüe\Saints Of Los Angeles\01 L.A.M.F..mp3"/>
<media src="D:\Tunes\Music\Mötley Crüe\Saints Of Los Angeles\03 Down At The Whisky.mp3"/>
<media src="D:\Tunes\Music\Mötley Crüe\Saints Of Los Angeles\04 Mother****er Of The Year.mp3"/>
<media src="D:\Tunes\Music\Mötley Crüe\Saints Of Los Angeles\06 Just Another Psycho.mp3"/>
<media src="D:\Tunes\Music\Mötley Crüe\Saints Of Los Angeles\07 The Animal In Me.mp3"/>
<media src="D:\Tunes\Music\Mötley Crüe\Saints Of Los Angeles\07 Chicks = Trouble.mp3"/>
<media src="D:\Tunes\Music\Mötley Crüe\Saints Of Los Angeles\08 Goin&apos; Out Swingin&apos;.mp3"/>
<media src="D:\Tunes\Music\Mötley Crüe\Saints Of Los Angeles\10 What&apos;s it gonna take.mp3"/>
<media src="D:\Tunes\Music\Mötley Crüe\Saints Of Los Angeles\11 Welcome to the machine.mp3"/>
<media src="D:\Tunes\Music\Mötley Crüe\Saints Of Los Angeles\12 This ain&apos;t a love song.mp3"/>
<media src="D:\Tunes\Music\Mötley Crüe\Saints Of Los Angeles\13 White trash circus.mp3"/>
</seq>
</body>
</smil>

Replace the contents of that playlist with this, and see if it works in Subsonic:
Code:
#EXTM3U
D:\Tunes\Music\Mötley Crüe\Saints Of Los Angeles\Saints of Los Angeles.m4a
D:\Tunes\Music\Mötley Crüe\Saints Of Los Angeles\01 L.A.M.F..mp3
D:\Tunes\Music\Mötley Crüe\Saints Of Los Angeles\02 Face Down In The Dirt.mp3
D:\Tunes\Music\Mötley Crüe\Saints Of Los Angeles\03 Down At The Whisky.mp3
D:\Tunes\Music\Mötley Crüe\Saints Of Los Angeles\04 Mother****er Of The Year.mp3
D:\Tunes\Music\Mötley Crüe\Saints Of Los Angeles\06 Just Another Psycho.mp3
D:\Tunes\Music\Mötley Crüe\Saints Of Los Angeles\07 The Animal In Me.mp3
D:\Tunes\Music\Mötley Crüe\Saints Of Los Angeles\07 Chicks = Trouble.mp3
D:\Tunes\Music\Mötley Crüe\Saints Of Los Angeles\08 Goin&apos; Out Swingin&apos;.mp3
D:\Tunes\Music\Mötley Crüe\Saints Of Los Angeles\10 What&apos;s it gonna take.mp3
D:\Tunes\Music\Mötley Crüe\Saints Of Los Angeles\11 Welcome to the machine.mp3
D:\Tunes\Music\Mötley Crüe\Saints Of Los Angeles\12 This ain&apos;t a love song.mp3
D:\Tunes\Music\Mötley Crüe\Saints Of Los Angeles\13 White trash circus.mp3
If it does, then you'll know what the problem is.

All I did was:
1. Remove the HTML tags at the top and bottom of the file.

2. Remove the
Code:
<media src="
at the beginning of each track.

3. Remove the
Code:
"/>
at the end of each track.

4. Add
Code:
#EXTM3U
to the top of the file.

The 'find and replace' feature in a text editor will help you take care of most of that quickly.

TheRandom1

Reaction score
Now this is odd. I realized there were two playlists (apparently I did not delete the iTunes one) and the windows media player one does not show up at all.

icculusX

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Sorry if this was mentioned already... This sounds like the same exact idea as ORB (Welcome - Orb) where you can stream media from your home PC on your phone or on another computer with the internet. I use ORB at work all the time to listen to my MP3's at home, and use it on my Droid too. I also have used it in my basement to watch a movie that was on my computer upstairs. (Orb is a 10$ Droid app and a free membership for the computer)

Which is better and why?

TheRandom1

Reaction score
Sorry if this was mentioned already... This sounds like the same exact idea as ORB (Welcome - Orb) where you can stream media from your home PC on your phone or on another computer with the internet. I use ORB at work all the time to listen to my MP3's at home, and use it on my Droid too. I also have used it in my basement to watch a movie that was on my computer upstairs. (Orb is a 10$ Droid app and a free membership for the computer)

Which is better and why?

I tried ORB at the same time as I started using SubSonic. ORB is nice and all, but it took wayyyyyyy too long to load my music collection. Three and a half days to load my 45 GB collection is insane. Plus, about 1,000 songs didn't load for no apparent reason.