droid phone only as music player and camera

patrickvol

Reaction score
i found i very cheap phone that can not be activated due to money owed on contract, but can it be use as a movie and mp3 player with a camera? and how functional would it be? my ipod touch just broke so i am trying to find a cheaper replacement. any input would be great thanks

Tallica

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
i found i very cheap phone that can not be activated due to money owed on contract, but can it be use as a movie and mp3 player with a camera? and how functional would it be? my ipod touch just broke so i am trying to find a cheaper replacement. any input would be great thanks

It would pretty much do everything except make calls, texts and probably navigation, everything else should work.

I think...

nygh

Reaction score
Good question, I was wondering the same thing as well.

But doesnt the phone require you to log into a google account as soon as you boot?

And not everything would work...as apps such as Shop Saavy require internet, which requires a data plan, correct?

boddah

Reaction score
you can skip the google log in screen by tapping the corners of the touchscreen in a clockwise direction, starting at the top left corner i believe.

dlthomas

Reaction score
My DROID Does...

WIFI still works, so you have access to Apps and internet.

Navigator won't get map updates while you're traveling because it downloads them on the fly, but you can get a GPS App with offline maps, NDrive and Copilot Live appear to be the biggest players right now.

You can use SipGate (VOIP service @ sipgate.com), SipDroid App, Google Voice, and GV Call Free to make and receive free calls over WIFI. SipGate allows free incoming calls and outgoing calls at $0.019 per minute. GV Call Free routes outgoing calls to Google Voice, which call your SipGate number and then completes the call to the other party. It's a little complicated, but very cool technology. Check this link for more info;

Unlimited Free Calling with Google Voice - Google Docs

All the stuff the Droid Does, it will still do. Music, videos, Apps, whatever. You just need WIFI if it requires the internet.