Droid "Phone" issue

OP
BradDroid

BradDroid

Reaction score
The thing about the actual bars (just ignore the bars) is that Verizon uses only as much data/voice (supposedly) as it needs. So you might drop some bars if they feel your call only needs such and such amount. That's only what I've been told though, don't take it as gospel.

It wouldn't be a problem if I could hear the person on the other line, but I can't.

jahtv98

Reaction score
The only problem I've heard from several DROIDERS is the echo, havent heard anything about dropped calls or not being able to hear. Dont know what to tell you....defective device? Id think so...

M

Matth3w

The thing about the actual bars (just ignore the bars) is that Verizon uses only as much data/voice (supposedly) as it needs. So you might drop some bars if they feel your call only needs such and such amount. That's only what I've been told though, don't take it as gospel.

It wouldn't be a problem if I could hear the person on the other line, but I can't.
I understand, I'm just saying that in terms of the bars they don't mean much.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Take it back, try another one, if that doesn't solve your issue, then your service area probably just isn't great for Verizon.

Stupid question, did you do *228 and option 2?

Yes. I have performed that a couple of times already.

In my short experience with the droid, the phone has worked the best. It has great signal and the keypad and menus during calls are very snappy.
I'm actually in a similar situation. Before I had an LG enV3 and couldn't make or receive phone calls in my house due to signal issues...so we got a network extender...now I don't even need that and haven't had a single dropped call with the Droid since I got it.

Hmmm...I can almost see the Verizon tower from my house. I'm that close to it. In the coverage maps I'm good.

Actually, the really weird thing is, when I load a page using 3G data it works just fine. Text messages go through perfectly as well. It seems the only problem is in the phone. Maybe the radio is bad/damaged? Hardware issue? The phone has NOT been dropped. Prior to this phone, I had an iPhone and it was babied. I know how sensitive touch screens are to drops/damage.
The fact that your 3g works leads me to agree with the general consensus that you have a 'bad' Droid. VZW will have no problem replacing your phone if they can replicate the issue.

OP
BradDroid

BradDroid

Reaction score
Take it back, try another one, if that doesn't solve your issue, then your service area probably just isn't great for Verizon.

Stupid question, did you do *228 and option 2?

Yes. I have performed that a couple of times already.

I'm actually in a similar situation. Before I had an LG enV3 and couldn't make or receive phone calls in my house due to signal issues...so we got a network extender...now I don't even need that and haven't had a single dropped call with the Droid since I got it.

Hmmm...I can almost see the Verizon tower from my house. I'm that close to it. In the coverage maps I'm good.

Actually, the really weird thing is, when I load a page using 3G data it works just fine. Text messages go through perfectly as well. It seems the only problem is in the phone. Maybe the radio is bad/damaged? Hardware issue? The phone has NOT been dropped. Prior to this phone, I had an iPhone and it was babied. I know how sensitive touch screens are to drops/damage.
The fact that your 3g works leads me to agree with the general consensus that you have a 'bad' Droid. VZW will have no problem replacing your phone if they can replicate the issue.

If they don't believe me, I guess they'll have to drive 50 miles to my house and I can definitely replicate it here. :) I'm pretty sure it will do the same at the store but who knows...if it doesn't then I'll be surprised and my 30 day trial will be cut short.

mattygabe

Reaction score
Yeah I'd bet a dollar that it's a hardware issue. The fact that you were able to successfully TX/RX data over the same exact link (you didn't setup Wifi, correct? You said it was over wireless 3G) means that something within the droid between you and the Droid antenna (or, are there separate data/voice antennas? I'd imagine CDMA would only need one antenna)

OP
BradDroid

BradDroid

Reaction score
Yeah I'd bet a dollar that it's a hardware issue. The fact that you were able to successfully TX/RX data over the same exact link (you didn't setup Wifi, correct? You said it was over wireless 3G) means that something within the droid between you and the Droid antenna (or, are there separate data/voice antennas? I'd imagine CDMA would only need one antenna)

Yes. This is correct. When I tested the data from the same place where the voice fails, I am using the Verizon network not wifi.

3turner

Reaction score
I have the same thing happen to me...with every Verizon phone I've had including Droid. Shows full phone signal, 3g works, text works...make the call and the bars drop to 1 or 0 making a bad connection. Only difference for me, I live outside the city limits so I expect the signal to be weak when I am inside my house. outdoors, no signal problems for phone calls. When I am in the city limits, never a dropped call, never 1 or 0 bars for signal strength...but I do sometimes get a bad connection which needs hanging up and recalling the person (maybe 1 time per month). I don't think it's hardware, the phone is just not getting a strong enough signal when making a call.

OP
BradDroid

BradDroid

Reaction score
I should have mentioned I live 3/4 of a mile from a Verizon tower.

evilsock

Reaction score
i agree, its most likely a bad droid, go get a new one, im sure vzw will be happy to since you are trying to leave att. come join us here.

OP
BradDroid

BradDroid

Reaction score
i agree, its most likely a bad droid, go get a new one, im sure vzw will be happy to since you are trying to leave att. come join us here.

I hope so. I'm really excited to actually reap the benefits of a good network.

Dr01d

Reaction score
Well, this certainly sounds like an isolated issue. I'll stop by Verizon tomorrow morning.

I mean, say when the bars read 3, then you try to make a call, your bars don't drop, at all?

Absolutely NOT a bad phone OR an isolated incident.

I have exactly the same problem and when I contacted Verizon tech support I was told by a surprisingly frank rep that this is a known issue. Sadly he really had no more information to give than that.

No eta of a fix or if one was even being actively pursued.

*edit to add that I did replace my phone once but it did not solve the issue.

Last edited:

DVR6

Reaction score
My old Verizon phone did this. PRL updates didn't work. Upgraded to the Droid 2 months ago and haven't had the problem since. I think it has something to do with hardware.