Droid "Phone" issue

BradDroid

Reaction score
Okay, I have been on a Verizon trial and I'm looking to switch from AT&T but have a major concern.

Since last Wednesday my phone has been acting weird. Heres what happens....

When I try to make a phone call my bars will read full but as soon as I hit send, the bars gray out and the service drops. 0 service, but the phone will ring and the other end picks up, but I can't hear them well enough to converse. Then as soon as I get frustrated of not being able to hear the other line, I hang up, and bars read full again. I wouldn't really describe the issue as a dropped call because technically it isn't. I just can't hear well enough to talk. After a certain amount of time the call will drop (maybe 5 minutes of conversation).

Please tell me what I should do. I did contact Verizon and did the usual resets and battery resets and that didn't seem to fix the problem at all. Needless to say, I am a little more than disappointed with Verizon's service. I don't want to be though. I want to like them and be able to reap the benefits of their excellent network. So far, so good, except for the phone. :(

Before anyone jumps me, I did search this issue and came up with little to nothing. I even posted in a similar thread but it didn't get many responses and I didn't want to hijack the OP's thread.

Thanks

natediddy1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
I am sorry to hear that you're having these problems. I personally have never experienced this issue with phone calls. But needless to say this is one issue I have seen with the Droid from people complaining about more than any other issue.

So come on....anyone care to offer some advice to this issue for this new member????

OP
BradDroid

BradDroid

Reaction score
Thanks. Actually, I'm glad to hear that. I was hoping it wasn't the network. I am in the red (on the maps) and still can't talk.

I'd like to hear how people with this issue got it resolved.

BavarianBuilt

Reaction score
In my short experience with the droid, the phone has worked the best. It has great signal and the keypad and menus during calls are very snappy.

M

Matth3w

Take it back, try another one, if that doesn't solve your issue, then your service area probably just isn't great for Verizon.

Stupid question, did you do *228 and option 2?

M

Matth3w

In my short experience with the droid, the phone has worked the best. It has great signal and the keypad and menus during calls are very snappy.
I'm actually in a similar situation. Before I had an LG enV3 and couldn't make or receive phone calls in my house due to signal issues...so we got a network extender...now I don't even need that and haven't had a single dropped call with the Droid since I got it.

Reaction score
Mat, Preety much got it all.. I am 100% percent positive its a defective phone. beacouse ive never heard of anything like that happening with any of the thousands of people in the group.. Which part of the usa do you live? have you tried a hard recet and ect?

M

Matth3w

Like I said and MM1 confirmed, I would doubt it's the phone itself...a bad phone, yes...but not the Droid in general I mean.

OP
BradDroid

BradDroid

Reaction score
Take it back, try another one, if that doesn't solve your issue, then your service area probably just isn't great for Verizon.

Stupid question, did you do *228 and option 2?

Yes. I have performed that a couple of times already.

I'm actually in a similar situation. Before I had an LG enV3 and couldn't make or receive phone calls in my house due to signal issues...so we got a network extender...now I don't even need that and haven't had a single dropped call with the Droid since I got it.

Hmmm...I can almost see the Verizon tower from my house. I'm that close to it. In the coverage maps I'm good.

Actually, the really weird thing is, when I load a page using 3G data it works just fine. Text messages go through perfectly as well. It seems the only problem is in the phone. Maybe the radio is bad/damaged? Hardware issue? The phone has NOT been dropped. Prior to this phone, I had an iPhone and it was babied. I know how sensitive touch screens are to drops/damage.

OP
BradDroid

BradDroid

Reaction score
Mat, Preety much got it all.. I am 100% percent positive its a defective phone. beacouse ive never heard of anything like that happening with any of the thousands of people in the group.. Which part of the usa do you live? have you tried a hard recet and ect?

Sorry, I was typing as you replied (mods feel free to join posts if necessary).

Thanks, I'm glad to hear that. I live in Ohio, the southern part if that makes a difference. My zip is 45634 if you are trying to view a coverage map.

irishdroid

Reaction score
Sorry to hear your problem. I have yet to have one call dropped. In fact the call quality is by far the best I have ever had. I have had a cell for, well, since they looked like the one Crockett had in Miami Vice. To be honest, I would take the phone back and try a new one. I had to take my first Droid back 12 hours after I got it due to the screen going black and staying that way, but, have had no problems since, never had to reset or pull the battery. Good luck.

OP
BradDroid

BradDroid

Reaction score
Well, this certainly sounds like an isolated issue. I'll stop by Verizon tomorrow morning.

I mean, say when the bars read 3, then you try to make a call, your bars don't drop, at all?

irishdroid

Reaction score
Bar fluctuation is normal. Looking at mine now and it moves from four down to two and back. If yours drops from three to zero while in the same place, its the phone.

Grey Hawk

Reaction score
I'm going to say it's a bad phone. My first one would have static every time someone would talk. So trust me there are bad phones out there.

M

Matth3w

The thing about the actual bars (just ignore the bars) is that Verizon uses only as much data/voice (supposedly) as it needs. So you might drop some bars if they feel your call only needs such and such amount. That's only what I've been told though, don't take it as gospel.