Droid overheated during charge

TheBlahMasta

Reaction score
I normally charge my Droid (completely stock) during the night and have it on my bed so that the vibration from my alarm will wake me up. Well, during the night, two nights ago, I guess it decided that it wasn't going to charge and decided to heat my phone (and the corner of my bed) up to a ridiculous temperature. I wish I could exaggerate the heat, but my phone had become so hot that it burned my fingers and caused the corner of my bed to feel like a heating pad. It finally decided to cool down enough for me to try plugging the charger back in (15 minutes later), but it still wouldn't charge. I pulled the battery, waited 15 seconds before putting it back in, and then it charged just fine. Last issue is that today it decided to shut off during the night, luckily it charged to 100% before doing so, and then restarted itself during use. Any ideas?

Side note: One of my pillows had fallen on top of my phone during the night it heated up, but I've stuck it under my pillow a few months ago and it never got to a boiling temp.

Hockey

Reaction score
You may of left a few programs running or they turned on. Not really sure, I've had the same exact thing happen before though so I'm interested in hearing what may cause that

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
On a stock Droid that's unusual. But since you are stock and we don't know what the actual temperature was it's hard to say. For example, 110 degrees may be extremely hot to you, I would find it nothing to worry about.

I have an idea that it was probably your GPS that was on all night but I'm taking a wild guess. You may want to load the widget "battery life" so you have some kind of an idea what the temp is at least at the battery level. I've seen mine as high as 118 degrees. Not on a regular basis, but I've seen it.

If it does happen again unplug it from the charger and see if you can get an idea of what's sucking up the juice from your battery information.

OP
T

TheBlahMasta

Reaction score
That's the fun part though, I have no idea what was running, if anything at all. The reason for that is because the phone wasn't charged, it was completely dead, I'm assuming, while it was heating up and I had to pull the battery just to get it to start accepting a charge again. I use Taskiller frequently throughout the day, especially before I go to sleep as habit for no real reason. I can't guess the temperature my phone had gotten to, but it was enough to remind me to never touch a hot stove, luckily none of the plastic melted off my phone. Maybe this was just a freak incident and I'm lucky it didn't go to a worst case scenerio of burning my house. :icon_eek:

Update: I managed to get the heat of my phone up to 105. Even at that temperature it's extremely tolerable to the touch. The heat I experienced was more of a seering pain, like putting your hand inside of boiling water or touching a piece of metal left outside in the Arizona sun. So I have to say it got 150-180, maybe more. Hopefully that helps.

Last edited: