Droid original - can't share video

sun-sense

Reaction score
[Solved] - Droid original - can't share video

This is the original Droid, updated to 2.2 OTA.

I recorded a few seconds of video, selected share and sent first via gmail and the video didn't attach. I tried again with yahoo. Same.

Share pictures works fine.

Has Verizon broken the share video to preserve bandwidth or is this a 'feature' of 2.2 ?

Thanks.

Last edited:

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
This is the original Droid, updated to 2.2 OTA.

I recorded a few seconds of video, selected share and sent first via gmail and the video didn't attach. I tried again with yahoo. Same.

Share pictures works fine.

Has Verizon broken the share video to preserve bandwidth or is this a 'feature' of 2.2 ?

Thanks.

There has always been a limit to how many seconds of video you can send. I believe it's 30 seconds. If your video is longer then that then you cannot send it.

OP
S

sun-sense

Reaction score
Its 28 seconds.

I can share it via email from Astro, but not from the camera app.

I will take a 10-15 second one and test.

ADD: Did a 10 sec video and it worked fine. Guess I don't do videos much. Actually, I don't do pictures much either. Need to do better on that. I always forget.

Thanks for the info and help.

Last edited:
OP
S

sun-sense

Reaction score
Didn't change anything.

The video appears in my email accounts as 3GP - FWIW

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
How large are the files? Length doesn't really mean much in and of itself.

OP
S

sun-sense

Reaction score
How large are the files? Length doesn't really mean much in and of itself.

The one that the camera application wouldn't attach but sent a blank email with no warnings, 11.3MB. It sent though, when I used Astro and share.

The other one that went successfully was 4.9MB.

I think the point is that it didn't give me a message that the video was too big. it just responded 'sent' and the recipient just received a blank message.

Silently NOT attaching the video (or any file for that matter due to size) and then just responding 'sent' is misleading. As the same video using Astro and then share - gmail was sent successfully, it would seem that the camera application itself decided the file was too big and silently removed it ie. without warning before sending it to gmail.

I don't know who to report this to for further investigation.

Do the above comments seem sensible ?

If anyone wants to verify the above and, if valid, and knows the right place to submit a bug report, then go ahead and run with it.

Last edited:

GeLopez

Reaction score
there is a way to change the settings for a video that is going to be sent
HIGH LOW MMS YOUTUBE, try using mms

OP
S

sun-sense

Reaction score
there is a way to change the settings for a video that is going to be sent
HIGH LOW MMS YOUTUBE, try using mms

Perhaps there is, but that doesn't change the fact that the video is stripped without any warning and a blank email is then sent.

anthony.selby

Reaction score
Android SendIT

I use Android SendIT (its in the market) ... but it lets you send an almost unlimited sized video to someones email ... If you don't want to share with the world (like youtube)