Droid - one of the most complicated phones (NYT)

Discussion in 'Android General Discussions' started by richz, Dec 16, 2009.

1. JayMonster

JayMonster Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Basically, if you don't understand the underlying OS, you probably shouldn't be rooting your phone. Proof of this is the iPhone. How many people got Rick Astley slapped on their phones by a hacker because they couldn't follow the simple instruction of change the password on your ssh shell. They had no clue what ssh was, and just ignored that step, and left a back door wide open for a smart aleck hacker to "RickRoll" all their phones. Jailbreaking an iPhone is "easier because it was done...how long ago? They have made tools to make it simple to use because they know the majority of them are NOT going to be Linux savvy.

Android (and Droid in particular) has only more recently been rooted, and even then (in the case of the Droid) it is still fresh and raw, there are no tools to make it easy for "the masses" to root.

For the record, adb (not abd) is actually adb.exe it is a command line executable (short for android debugger) which is part of the SDK. At this point, honestly, anybody that thinks Eclipse is a celestial event and not a development environment, probably shouldn't be rooting their Droid yet. (That is of course just purely my opinion and everybody is free to do with their Droid what they want. I do not lecture... I suggest)

2. Retribution

Retribution Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah I love my phone but I tell people flat out that if you haven't figured out how to stop your vcr from blinking 12:00 then its probably not for you. Then again that same argument can be made for people who still use a vcr... but I drigress.

3. takeshi

takeshi Silver Member

Ratings:
    +0
    That's the nature of having a powerful and flexible device. The Droid won't appeal to every one but that can be said of every option out there.

4. coolkidd

coolkidd Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I can't change mine because the buttons does not work anymore.... and I still uses VCR for anyone who wants in my family to convert their archaic personal VHS movies to DVDs...

Back to topic... I feel the same way on recommending the Droid to anyone I know with basic computer skills. I do understand that we all used to be ignorant and with (a lot of) patience and practice, that skill is honed.

I do believe that if you cannot execute cmd on a computer, rooting your Droid is probably not for you (yet). There will be programs (with nice GUIs - that's short for Graphical User Interface) that will come soon.... for now, enjoy the Droid as it is...

5. DaHarder

DaHarder Member

Ratings:
    +2
    It's not so much that the DROID is complicated, it's just that people are becoming increasingly less intelligent.

DROID... The Thinker's Smartphone​

Search tags for this page
most complex phone
most complicated cell phone

most complicated phone

most complicated phone case
most complicated phone pattern
most complicated smartphone
the most complex phone
the most complicated smart phone
which are the most complicated phones to use
world's most complicated phone