1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Droid Obsolete?

Discussion in 'Motorola Droid' started by hydrolex99, Feb 27, 2010.

1. hydrolex99

hydrolex99 New Member

I love my droid as much as the next guy but with the rumors of the Nexus One and HTC Incredible's releases in the coming month(s), will this leave our beloved Droids in the dust?
  2. RW-1

RW-1 New Member

Only in comparison. Not in reality. Period.
  3. jbernard703

jbernard703 New Member

Yes it does. Totally obsolete. You should PM me and sell me your Droid, then use that money to buy a Nexus One or Incredible.
  4. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member Premium Member

Is it time for this subject again?;)

Do you really think that or are you just looking for reassurance? No the Droid is not obsolete. Blackberry is.
  5. hydrolex99

hydrolex99 New Member

It just felt like our time on top was short lived before they are selling Droids at a fraction of the price.
  6. Sodner

Sodner New Member

I love my Droid to but mostly due to the Android OS, not the physical phone. In fact I never use the slide out keyboard at all. If we get left behind in ANY 2.1 features I will switch to a N1 when it comes to Verizon in March.
  7. droidtom

droidtom New Member

I decided to get the Droid knowing the nexus 1 was around the corner. I'm still glad I did. This is a terrific device. It does everything I want it to. I'm content.
  8. ShowTime

ShowTime New Member

Happens with any electronic device. If you want to always have the newest, most marketed device, you're going to have to buy a new phone, new mp3 player, new tv, new computer, new car, etc etc etc every 6 months. You either have to do your research, buy the thing that fits you best at the time you need it, and be happy with it, regardless of what comes next... or be ready to say goodbye to your cash.
  9. jimnutt

jimnutt New Member

I'm kind of thinking about getting an N1 and passing my Droid down to my wife. However, I'm reserving judgement until I see the screen on the N1 and find out how the battery life is. I can get 12-18 hours out my droid, I want the same from the nexus.
  10. Martin030908

Martin030908 Super Moderator

When the Droid can't handle new functions it'll be obsolete.
    The hardware/software has yet to be tapped out, so it's still a perfectly viable device.
  11. srtfool32

srtfool32 Premium Member Premium Member

used my buddies today and WOW. never thought anything of it then having it in my hand and how smooth and quick it is was just wow. and with the sayings now no 2.1 launcher, no live wallpapers, basically were getting screwed on the 2.1 release im thinking me getting a nexus one and my girl is getting my droid. btw, screen is top notch.
  12. cereal killer

cereal killer Administrator Staff Member

The Droid will have live wallpapers...not sure about the launcher though.
  13. Corinacakes

Corinacakes Super Moderator Theme Developer

:rofl3: sweet jaysus that cracked me up lol
  14. KeepInitReel

KeepInitReel New Member

Does any one here who seek the lastest and greastest buy a new car every year? If your trying to keep up with the lastest phone you will spend a lot doing so. When the N1 hits vzw, there will be a better phone than that coming out, then a better one after that & so on. By the way I haven't heard anyone mention the droid 2 coming in Sept.
  15. nerdbox08

nerdbox08 New Member

Do we honestly believe it's coming when they say it will? The Nexus, that is....
  16. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member Premium Member

I don't think there has been any demonstration that the N1 is better then the Droid. Even taking the lack of a physical key board out of the equation, if the N1 gets a few more bells and whistles it just doesn't matter to me.

As stated there is always going to be something new in the market. Apple doesn't put out a new phone every other month but with Androids open platforms you can expect this to happen. Doesn't mean your phone is obsolete. Just means another advancement in technology. Even if a Droid 2 comes out your Droid would still not be obsolete.

It gets obsolete when it's used as a paperweight. Like my Blackberry Storm. Anyone want to give me 100 bucks for it? Doubt it. Now that's obsolete.
  17. christim

christim Super Moderator

If not this week then next week. If not next week then next month. Sooner or later something will come along that will be better. After all, isn't that what happened to the iPhone when the Droid came out? [​IMG]

It will be obsolete when it no longer serves its purpose. Since day one when my phone rang or I had to call someone it worked. Email comes in, text messages work. What other sort of functionality do you expect from it? Oh yeah, it gets me where I'm going so I don't get lost.

If you want the latest and greatest that is called being on the cutting edge and while the official updates have not delivered the latest and greatest software my phone currently has live wallpapers, it has a multi-touch browser, it does voice to text keyboard, it does wifi tethering.

Furthermore, it has a faster performance and a longer battery life than it did when I first got it. How many other items have your purchased in the last couple of years (or ever) that you can say that about?

As a gadget it has not lost its charm and almost daily I'm tinkering around with it.

My phone has more technology on it than when I bought it. It actually has more on it today than it did yesterday afternoon (thank you Adamz for SG5.0 and thanks to the other devs for the various roms many of us make use of)
  18. Backnblack

Backnblack Premium Member Premium Member

I haven't seen a phone yet that makes my Droid obsolete.
  19. barryp3403

barryp3403 New Member

Another thing the N1 doesn't have

I love the speaker on the Droid. I use it with the multimedia dock as an alarm clock/night time MP3 player, music streamer. The N1 has a faster processor and a very nice display but the speaker is very tinny compared to my Droid. I love this darn phone. If only they would fix the bluetooth so it was compatible with my 2007 Nissan's built in bluetooth I would have no complaints what so ever!
  20. kenyx123

kenyx123 New Member

As long as were all here talking and tinkering with them they are not obsolete or even close to it. Also I think most of us here have the live wallpapers and wifi tethering, If you don't your not putting in you time in the forums. The Droid really does do just about everthing.
Search tags for this page

droid 2 obsolete

is my droid x2 obsolete