DROID: Now Hardwired into my Vehicle

Discussion in 'Android General Discussions' started by OPTIMUS124, Apr 3, 2010.

1. OPTIMUS124

OPTIMUS124 New Member

DROID: Now Electrically Hardwired into my Vehicle

Hey Guys,

I hated the little curly cord going to my sexy phone, as it looked very tacky. I performed a little wiring tonight, now it looks so much cleaner. I'm in the process of writing something for another forum (Chargerforums, I'm a proud R/T owner). It may be vehicle specific, but the concept is the same really

[​IMG]

FYI, I did not destroy the AC Adapter to do this, so I can switch it at any time for a new device.
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2010
  2. Serialkilla

Serialkilla New Member

This is the before picture,right?
  3. SnoDrtRider

SnoDrtRider Member

We can only hope!:icon_eek:
  4. dezymond

dezymond Tech Support Mod Staff Member Premium Member

doesn't it bug you when you have that wire dangling?

not exactly what i was expecting, but still a pretty cool setup. seems to be quite a reach though

good job though!
  5. OPTIMUS124

OPTIMUS124 New Member

Actually its after, it sucks, but there is no AUX port on the car. So I used a 3.5mm extension for the time being, until I replace my headunit with one that if Bluetooth ready. Otherwise, only the power would be going to it. I am probably gonna tuck the power cables a little more, as there is a slight excess. This is the manner by which most radar installs are done, but as this thing charges with 5V and the car puts out 12V, you need a go between, which is why the cigarette lighter plug is so large. There is a board that brings the power down suitable for the device. Otherwise, you'll be using your deductible.

It was a quick 30 min project, and it takes a lot of the clutter away from bringing the AC Adapter and AUX line from the center console all the up to the window. Not perfect yet :cool: , but wanted to show it could be done.

Thanks man

What were you expecting? I was gonna pull the power from the dome lights, however:

I would have destroyed AC adapter to get the board that steps the voltage down
    I wouldn't be able to switch devices in the future easily

Maybe hardwire was the wrong term? This is more so an electrical venture than a functional one
  6. xliderider

xliderider New Member

I think it would look better if you got a couple of right angle adapters, one for the microusb, and one for the 3.5mm headphone jack. The wires could be routed closer to the dock that way and maybe even wrapped together with a spiral cord keeper so you have only one "wire" coming out of your headliner.
  7. OPTIMUS124

OPTIMUS124 New Member

I have to get those on Monday. I just bit the bullet and did it cause I had most of the stuff layin around. My cabling source is is off as it's Easter. The 3.5 mm jack is run on another side. I was afraind off getting some ground feed, as I had a good bit prior to doing this with the alternator whine. I don't get it, but there is enough cable to do that. I just got excited and had to post it.
  8. SnoDrtRider

SnoDrtRider Member

If your car has Bluetooth you can get rid of the 3.5mm jack and use BT for your audio.
  9. Vulcan1600

Vulcan1600 DF Super Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

I like your idea. Post pictures if you do. I really despise the wires myself but never really thought of another way to do it. This is why I have a cordless radar detector too.
  10. OPTIMUS124

OPTIMUS124 New Member

It doesn't. Thanks for all the suggestions. I know what changes to make for the writeup. Like I said its electrical mainly, is there an interest for it?
  11. xliderider

xliderider New Member

Sorry, not thinking of doing this myself. Just throwing in some constructive ideas. :)
  12. Vulcan1600

Vulcan1600 DF Super Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

Well, if anyone takes your idea and runs with it, I hope they post pictures of their work.

And, to clarify about my radar detector, it is very useful for when I am heading to construction sites on the highway....why else would I have one? :icon_eek:
  13. dezymond

dezymond Tech Support Mod Staff Member Premium Member

I was expecting there would be an area on the dash where you would have it sit in there. I've been researching alot of "dash cutting" for cars lately and was kind of expecting something along those lines. expecting more of a retrofit.

very nice work though.
  14. OPTIMUS124

OPTIMUS124 New Member

Were you trying to make a space for it from the dash? A razor blade does wonders for the foam material. Depending if you are trying to run cable or make a slot. A spade bore could do the hole for a cable. Otherwise it could get interesting. I learned this from mounting a glove box light and switch in the car (the car has the wiring for it (harness and everything, but lacks the space on the box and the switch).

A retrofit was an idea, but doing so would make it to specific to the device. An idea was to create a place on the Radio/ HVAC bezel, but was too small, and blocked the vents. I really couldn't think of a "good" way to pull this off
  15. iPirate

iPirate New Member

Post updated pics when you get L adapters for your stuff!

Looks good, I have to deal with the audio cable and power cable because my car does not have BT. This is pretty good for our situation!
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2010
  16. rlfitz

rlfitz New Member

proclipusa.com makes vehicle specific mounts. and has a mount for the droid with a charger built into it. its a few bucks but it looks really nice and neat.
  17. OPTIMUS124

OPTIMUS124 New Member

Come Monday evening I will have those. That's an easy aesthetic fix. Next time I do something, I gotta come with my A game before I post :D

Hey,

That's not a bad setup, but the one for fixed install is $80, quite a few more dollars than I'd like to spend. It does "appear" to include a component to step the voltage down to 5V. At least that's what I am assuming that small block is with the cable coming out of it is for. The highest viewing level also blocks the one of the driver side vents. The way I did mine you will have to purchase a vehicle mount, but the connector can be switched for another fairly easily, such as replacing your DROID as a GPS (which I seriously doubt) for a Garmin.
  18. krazykarl

krazykarl New Member

I did something similar, though a bit more involved. I made a circuit board for the regulator (circuit diagram is attached) and hid it in my dash. I wired the output of the regulator to a cut-off USB extension cable (black wire to ground, red wire to +5v output, and connect the two data lines together, this tells your phone that it is attached to a dedicated charger, so the phone can take up to 1.8 A of current and charge faster)

Then I fed the wire through the windshield defroster vent and just connected a standard micro USB cable to the USB extension's female connector. The wire runs along the seam between the windshield and the dash so its not very noticeable, then up to the car dock, where it's zip-tied to the dock such that there's just the right amount of length available to plug it in, so it's easy to plug in at arms length.

I've got a bluetooth to aux adapter hidden in the center console that I use for audio.

Since the regulator circuit is capable of sourcing nearly 2A, (USB2.0 calls for up to 1.8A for a dedicated charger port, so it's just right) it charges the phone very quickly. It will charge 10% in about 15 minutes while using GPS, bluetooth and with the display at full brightness.
  19. OPTIMUS124

OPTIMUS124 New Member

Nice!

Did you encase your board in anything, or did you just leave it nude behind your console. I also see that the right angle adapter makes a large difference in its presentation. I have seen a few free CAD programs, but wondered what you used, and did you get your boards from Radioshack or another source.

I didn't think about getting a BT to AUX adapter. Where'd you get one from, and what did it run you.

Will you be able to switch to a BT headset while its paired with the adapter? If I am by myself, it's not bad to have the call played over all speakers, but if someone is in the ride, I rather not and be able to switch to my HS.
  20. krazykarl

krazykarl New Member

I bought pretty much everything from radioshack, except for the .25 ohm resistors, which I got from mouser.com. I just bought one o' thems boards with a grid of holes in it and soldered the circuit to it. They also had some little plastic boxes to encase stuff in that I used. I had to drill holes in the box for the input/output lines, but otherwise it was pretty much left alone. Then I used some velcro to stick it to a flat surface in the dash so it wouldn't rattle around.

I didn't use any circuit design software, I just found that circuit online while trying to find a way to use multiple regulators in parallel to get more than 1A output current (which is the limit of a single regulator)

The bluetooth to AUX adapter I got can be found here.
    You can use this one for calls, but I don't since it sits in the center console and the mic wouldn't be able to hear me. In your bluetooth settings, if you long press the device info once you're paired and go to options, you can select phone audio or media audio or both (and the setting is persistent) so you should be able to use a BT headset fine (though I haven't actually done it...)
Search tags for this page
android phone hardwired to car
cell phone hardwire kit android
cell phone usb hardwire diagrams
hard wire a droid
hard wired car phone charger

hardwire android phone to car

hardwire cell phone charger

hardwired phone charger
how to hardwire a droid charger to my car
how to hardwire car cell phone charger
how to hardwire phone charger to car