DROID: Now Hardwired into my Vehicle

OPTIMUS124

Reaction score
DROID: Now Electrically Hardwired into my Vehicle

Hey Guys,

I hated the little curly cord going to my sexy phone, as it looked very tacky. I performed a little wiring tonight, now it looks so much cleaner. I'm in the process of writing something for another forum (Chargerforums, I'm a proud R/T owner). It may be vehicle specific, but the concept is the same really

0403001910.jpg

FYI, I did not destroy the AC Adapter to do this, so I can switch it at any time for a new device.

Last edited:

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
doesn't it bug you when you have that wire dangling?

not exactly what i was expecting, but still a pretty cool setup. seems to be quite a reach though

good job though!

OP
OPTIMUS124

OPTIMUS124

Reaction score
This is the before picture,right?

We can only hope!:icon_eek:

Actually its after, it sucks, but there is no AUX port on the car. So I used a 3.5mm extension for the time being, until I replace my headunit with one that if Bluetooth ready. Otherwise, only the power would be going to it. I am probably gonna tuck the power cables a little more, as there is a slight excess. This is the manner by which most radar installs are done, but as this thing charges with 5V and the car puts out 12V, you need a go between, which is why the cigarette lighter plug is so large. There is a board that brings the power down suitable for the device. Otherwise, you'll be using your deductible.

It was a quick 30 min project, and it takes a lot of the clutter away from bringing the AC Adapter and AUX line from the center console all the up to the window. Not perfect yet :cool: , but wanted to show it could be done.

not exactly what i was expecting, but still a pretty cool setup. seems to be quite a reach though

good job though!

Thanks man

What were you expecting? I was gonna pull the power from the dome lights, however:

I would have destroyed AC adapter to get the board that steps the voltage down
I wouldn't be able to switch devices in the future easily

Maybe hardwire was the wrong term? This is more so an electrical venture than a functional one

Last edited:

xliderider

Reaction score
I think it would look better if you got a couple of right angle adapters, one for the microusb, and one for the 3.5mm headphone jack. The wires could be routed closer to the dock that way and maybe even wrapped together with a spiral cord keeper so you have only one "wire" coming out of your headliner.

OP
OPTIMUS124

OPTIMUS124

Reaction score
I think it would look better if you got a couple of right angle adapters, one for the microusb, and one for the 3.5mm headphone jack. The wires could be routed closer to the dock that way and maybe even wrapped together with a spiral cord keeper so you have only one "wire" coming out of your headliner.

I have to get those on Monday. I just bit the bullet and did it cause I had most of the stuff layin around. My cabling source is is off as it's Easter. The 3.5 mm jack is run on another side. I was afraind off getting some ground feed, as I had a good bit prior to doing this with the alternator whine. I don't get it, but there is enough cable to do that. I just got excited and had to post it.

Last edited:

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I like your idea. Post pictures if you do. I really despise the wires myself but never really thought of another way to do it. This is why I have a cordless radar detector too.

OP
OPTIMUS124

OPTIMUS124

Reaction score
If your car has Bluetooth you can get rid of the 3.5mm jack and use BT for your audio.

It doesn't. Thanks for all the suggestions. I know what changes to make for the writeup. Like I said its electrical mainly, is there an interest for it?

Last edited:

xliderider

Reaction score
I like your idea. Post pictures if you do. I really despise the wires myself but never really thought of another way to do it. This is why I have a cordless radar detector too.

Sorry, not thinking of doing this myself. Just throwing in some constructive ideas. :)

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

Sorry, not thinking of doing this myself. Just throwing in some constructive ideas. :)
Well, if anyone takes your idea and runs with it, I hope they post pictures of their work.

And, to clarify about my radar detector, it is very useful for when I am heading to construction sites on the highway....why else would I have one? :icon_eek:

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
This is the before picture,right?

Actually its after, it sucks, but there is no AUX port on the car. So I used a 3.5mm extension for the time being, until I replace my headunit with one that if Bluetooth ready. Otherwise, only the power would be going to it. I am probably gonna tuck the power cables a little more, as there is a slight excess. This is the manner by which most radar installs are done, but as this thing charges with 5V and the car puts out 12V, you need a go between, which is why the cigarette lighter plug is so large. There is a board that brings the power down suitable for the device. Otherwise, you'll be using your deductible.

It was a quick 30 min project, and it takes a lot of the clutter away from bringing the AC Adapter and AUX line from the center console all the up to the window. Not perfect yet :cool: , but wanted to show it could be done.

good job though!

Thanks man

What were you expecting? I was gonna pull the power from the dome lights, however:

Maybe hardwire was the wrong term? This is more so an electrical venture than a functional one

I was expecting there would be an area on the dash where you would have it sit in there. I've been researching alot of "dash cutting" for cars lately and was kind of expecting something along those lines. expecting more of a retrofit.

very nice work though.

OP
OPTIMUS124

OPTIMUS124

Reaction score

good job though!

Thanks man

I was expecting there would be an area on the dash where you would have it sit in there. I've been researching alot of "dash cutting" for cars lately and was kind of expecting something along those lines. expecting more of a retrofit.

very nice work though.

Were you trying to make a space for it from the dash? A razor blade does wonders for the foam material. Depending if you are trying to run cable or make a slot. A spade bore could do the hole for a cable. Otherwise it could get interesting. I learned this from mounting a glove box light and switch in the car (the car has the wiring for it (harness and everything, but lacks the space on the box and the switch).

A retrofit was an idea, but doing so would make it to specific to the device. An idea was to create a place on the Radio/ HVAC bezel, but was too small, and blocked the vents. I really couldn't think of a "good" way to pull this off

iPirate

Reaction score
Post updated pics when you get L adapters for your stuff!

Looks good, I have to deal with the audio cable and power cable because my car does not have BT. This is pretty good for our situation!

Last edited: