Droid Newby

MSHickey

Reaction score
Hi, Folks:

Long-time cellphone user, brand-new Droid user. Semi- tech savvy, but really struggling getting up to speed with this phone. First two questions: why, whenever I plug my phone into my computer, do I get a request to install drivers? I didn't get any kind of CD with the product; in fact, the box was far too small to have included one, regardless. Second, I'm trying to download the HTCSync 2.0 and it's showing that it's going to take well over an hour and a half to do so. Really? It's a USB 2.0 port and the computer is 18 months old, so I've got good hardware. I desperately need my Outlook contacts on the phone, so I decided to download the app, but I'm wondering if I should have.

Thanks. I look forward to this Forum for help and, eventually, to add my own assistance to other newbies as I progress:)

AnneDroid

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Hi, Folks:

Long-time cellphone user, brand-new Droid user. Semi- tech savvy, but really struggling getting up to speed with this phone. First two questions: why, whenever I plug my phone into my computer, do I get a request to install drivers? I didn't get any kind of CD with the product; in fact, the box was far too small to have included one, regardless. Second, I'm trying to download the HTCSync 2.0 and it's showing that it's going to take well over an hour and a half to do so. Really? It's a USB 2.0 port and the computer is 18 months old, so I've got good hardware. I desperately need my Outlook contacts on the phone, so I decided to download the app, but I'm wondering if I should have.

Thanks. I look forward to this Forum for help and, eventually, to add my own assistance to other newbies as I progress:)

Welcome, MSHickey! You'll find this to be a very friendly place full of great people and information! Hope you enjoy your time here!

Now on to your problems: on the Droid, go into Menu > Settings > Applications > Development and make sure USB Debugging is checked. You shouldn't need anything else to mount the Droid. It should show up as an external storage device when connected to the PC and then just pull down the status bar on the Droid, and touch USB connected and select mount. (Be sure to safely remove it when done.)

As to the contacts issue, try this:

Step 1
  • Open Outlook and click on your Contacts
  • Go to File > Import and Export > Select Export to a file - Next
  • Select Comma Separated Values - Next
  • Select Contacts - Next
  • Save the file in a known location - Next
  • Click on 'Map Custom Fields' and make sure Default Maps are set
  • Click Finish
Step 2
  • Click Contacts in the left menu
  • Click Import in the top right
  • Choose file and select the .csv file you just saved
  • Click Import
  • Your contacts will be imported into your Gmail account
Step 3
  • On your Droid make sure you have connected your Gmail account
  • Go to contacts > Menu > Accounts
  • Select your Gmail account > Menu > Sync Now
  • Your new contacts will be imported - Any duplicates should be merged.
Let us know if any of this doesn't work. Good luck! :welcome:

OP
M

MSHickey

Reaction score
Ready To Throw the Phone Out the Window

Ok, I downloaded the HTC Sync program, that ostensibly allows me to sync directly with Outlook. However, the directions in the User's Manual say, "On your phone, check Notifications on the status bar for the icon to confirm if HTC Sync recognizes the phone." Well, HTC Sync ISN"T recognizing my phone & I'm still getting a message every single time I connect to the computer telling me there are no drivers installed for my phone. I've done the USB connection & Mount, and nothing is working. The circular arrow notification symbol is in my system tray, but it is greyed out and shows "Disconnected"; the HTC Sync window, which opens after the download is complete, theoretically gives me the option to "Synchronize Now," but the button in the lower right hand corner says it is "Disconnected." I'm beyond frustrated: all I want is my hundreds of phone numbers on my phone WITHOUT having to go through the stupid GMail process. The Droid Sync program is supposed to be letting me do that, so what the HELL am I doing wrong?:mad:

OP
M

MSHickey

Reaction score
Ooops!

Well, part of the problem is probably that the program I just downloaded was for the Droid Eris; I have the Droid Droid (?). So, now that I realize that the download did me no earthly good, and that's probably why the status keeps showing "Disconnect," and HTC isn't "recognizing" the phone, is there ANY way to sync with Outlook without going through the whole GMail operation?:eek: