Droid new owner question

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by big.daddy, Jan 18, 2010.

1. big.daddy

big.daddy New Member

I hear that the droid will be getting the 2.1 update soon. I recently just rooted my droid. Will i need to unroot in order to receive the update?
  2. cereal killer

cereal killer DF Administrator Staff Member

big.daddy I moved your thread to the hack section to get you a quicker response.
  3. Bear in NM

Bear in NM Active Member

Likley if all you did was root then possibly the 2.1 will cause no problems other than unroot. The 2.0.1 update needed the otacerts file to be intact inorder to update. No one really knows what the 2.1 holds for folks who have phones in different states of "unfactoryness". My suggestion is that if you want to keep root, you do not want to update right away, to see how things shake out. If you don't care about root, I would still suggest not accepting ANY ota's until folks have who may be rooted, to make sure you are not gonna have problems.

And I said any as per a thread in the General Discussion area, some folks are getting updates now that no one is sure exactly what they are. Perhaps a patch for 2.1 that is coming, a maintenance update? The folks that have gotten these report the phone still says 2.0.1, and they cannot see any significant differences. Definately not 2.1. But the exploit "hole" that allowed 2.0.1 to be rooted was officially closed by the Android Development community, so if what is coming out now is something different than the 2.0.1 we got weeks ago, it could have this hole plugged.

Right now, keep track of exactly what you are doing to the phone, and every file, and keep an ear to the ground here.

Craig
  4. Topsy

Topsy New Member

cereal , any chance i can get a copy of that bug animation?...been looking for exactly that!

big.daddy:

If you want a clean update then ya you should search the forums for the back to stock threads, there are several with step by step instructions.