Droid music skipping with headphones

kmp14

Reaction score
Same problem for me. Definitely a resources (memory/cpu) issue. Sounds like casette tape dropout usually. I thought we were done with that! My droid wont really play video very well either, and I have tried every bitrate, and utility to convert files. I get audio drift and video stutter. I wonder if some of us got bad ones?

BigRussDaGOD

Reaction score
the only time this has happened to me is when i copied files over from my laptop running windows 7. the one folder out of like 10 albums it recognized, it would skip, and play very poorly. all files i copied over from XP i have no prob. this happened in both the default music player and MixZing as well. it seams the droid and windows 7 dont get along well due to the fact that droid sd card is formatted with fat32 and not NTFS. so until Verizon updated the OS to support a sd card formatted in NTFS, droid/win 7 users will be having problems.

forthesakeof

Reaction score
Glad I found this thread. Every other place I asked the people said that it was fixed in 2.0.1. But that was the clipping at max volume issue. I agree with all the above, I think that the mediaserver takes a backseat to pretty much every other process. And it really really bothers me. After reading the above post I tried retransferring all my music using XP rather than Win7, but with no luck. I really hope that 2.1 comes along and saves the day because I have not enjoyed listening to music since I got the droid. And switching to my ipod for music is too hard once I got used to using the droid for everything.

nickb34

Reaction score
I'm surprised more people haven't mentioned having this problem... maybe not very many people use it as a main music device. I certainly get the skipping that has been stated.

mkloharry

Reaction score
I listen to my music library, Pandora 4 to 6 hours every work day mostly using a Samsung bluetooth SBH600 headset. I also surf the net at the same time. I had never had any dropouts or distortion of anykind. When I copy music to my sd card I use a card reader on my computer running Vista.

briand515

Reaction score
Yeah it is an issue that's inherent to Android. I've used a myTouch 3G in the past and the problem is significantly worse on that phone and I witnessed complex webpages causing the music playback to stutter quite a bit. On the Droid I've noticed some small slight dropouts while doing certain activities (bringing up the virtual keyboard while playing back music can cause this), but a far cry from the major stuttering I had on an Android 1.5 myTouch. I think the real problem is media player just isn't very optimized and is very sensitive to what's going on in the background, this shouldn't happen at all, Google needs to step it up with the multimedia capabilities of Android. The Droid is an amazing web browsing device but I think that music player leaves much to be desired.

forthesakeof

Reaction score
it certainly does leave a lot to be desired as a music player unfortunately. not even in terms of looks or functionality because i could care less about how things are formatted as long as it plays the music well but it doesn't even do that. the guy a few posts before said he doesn't have this problem with pandora which seems weird since i do, but i have noticed it's less audible with lower-end headphones.

i wish there were a way to assign foreground and background applications, or at least to have the phone put music playing as top priority even if that leads to it hogging resources. its not like i do much else when listening to music anyway; nothing else would need the resources :p

but afaik,
2.1 = faster
faster = better resource distribution
better resource distribution = (i hope) no more crackles

Last edited:
OP
A

adultswim810

Reaction score
I sent off my droid and apparently they had never heard of anyone getting this issue. I got a new one, no different, same stupid problem. I'm about to call them again and give them a piece of my mind.

JFDroid

Reaction score
I sent off my droid and apparently they had never heard of anyone getting this issue. I got a new one, no different, same stupid problem. I'm about to call them again and give them a piece of my mind.

I've had 3 Droids myself, my dad has had two Droids, and another family member of mine has had 3 Droids (VZW employee) and we have all had these two distinct problems on our druids that relate to music: 1) the crackling, especially in the left speaker when the volume is maxed out, and 2) skips in music playback especially when doing tasks like browsing web pages, using the software keyboard, closing and opening apps, switching screens, and changing orientations.

This is NOT a hardware issue. It is an issue inherent to Android, probably due to sloppy code and lack of optimization in the music player (as mentioned by a previous poster).

forthesakeof

Reaction score
i'm on my 6th droid and it has happened for every one of them. i ended up rooting and overclocking to see if that would help it, and it did. but... i have to be at 1000MHZ min for it to never crackle, and i really don't feel like pushing the processor that hard.

PyroManiac

Reaction score
maybe you should root...and then over clock....and use the audio volume hack??

just a suggestion :)

I can help you with all of this if interested.

kmp14

Reaction score
I rooted and overclocked. ... and it made a big difference. It rarely happens now.

forthesakeof

Reaction score
yeah man it definitely makes a difference but in exchange for an enormous amount of battery life... i listened to music for about an hour total and was down to half battery. unacceptable that we have to go to such lengths just to hear our music without skips

kmp14

Reaction score
yeah man it definitely makes a difference but in exchange for an enormous amount of battery life... i listened to music for about an hour total and was down to half battery. unacceptable that we have to go to such lengths just to hear our music without skips

Agreed. Luckily for me, I mainly listen to music at work, and I have it plugged in (Dock), so the battery life is not such a big deal.

Since overclocking helps (significantly), it proves that it is a CPU issue, the OS is not prioritizing the multimedia stack. Seems like something they (Google) could fix, they surely know about it. I am sure the Nexus One does not have the problem.
icon_%20devil.gif