Droid mounted to car with velcro?

aggiechase37

Reaction score
Hey guys. Anyone have any experience mounting the Droid to your car's dash with velcro? I have a car with lots of real estate on the dash where it would be real easy to stick some velcro to it so I can easily get the Droid on and off of it for when I use the GPS. Problem is I'm not sure what I should use as adhesive. The sticky stuff on the velcro itself didn't work. Droid fell right off. Cheap 3M double sided tape didn't work. I'm trying to figure out something strong enough that will hold the velcro on there even when I go to take the Droid off, but not rip up the paint on the dash when I go to eventually take it off permamently. So I'm trying to avoid the super glue route even through I'm pretty sure that would hold. Any ideas? Maybe non-cheap 3M tape? Something strong than 3M, but weaker than super glue....

Silver Member
Reaction score
The car dock has a sticky mount...

OP
A

aggiechase37

Reaction score
Well I didn't really want to get a mount because I didn't want to fork up the extra cash. Plus I thought having it just sitting up there on some velcro would look pretty snazzy.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
Well I didn't really want to get a mount because I didn't want to fork up the extra cash. Plus I thought having it just sitting up there on some velcro would look pretty snazzy.

How were you going to attach the Velcro to the Droid?

skidemn

Reaction score
Hey guys. Anyone have any experience mounting the Droid to your car's dash with velcro? I have a car with lots of real estate on the dash where it would be real easy to stick some velcro to it so I can easily get the Droid on and off of it for when I use the GPS. Problem is I'm not sure what I should use as adhesive. The sticky stuff on the velcro itself didn't work. Droid fell right off. Cheap 3M double sided tape didn't work. I'm trying to figure out something strong enough that will hold the velcro on there even when I go to take the Droid off, but not rip up the paint on the dash when I go to eventually take it off permamently. So I'm trying to avoid the super glue route even through I'm pretty sure that would hold. Any ideas? Maybe non-cheap 3M tape? Something strong than 3M, but weaker than super glue....

Rather than stick Velcro to your new $500 phone, PM me and for a dollar (to cover the cost of USPS mail) I'll give you something you can use to hold it.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
I don't think we have the same definition of snazzy...

Dual lock is probably your best best, as mentioned above.

OP
A

aggiechase37

Reaction score

How were you going to attach the Velcro to the Droid?

Well I was just going to stick it on there with some kind of adhesive. That 3M stuff looks great, but it is certainly pricey.

Here's what my dash looks like:
cadillac_srx_v6_2004_dashboard_dashboard.jpg

So I could attach the Droid with some velcro right there in that blank space where the CD player is. I think it would look great! And easy with some velcro action I think. Thoughts????
moz-screenshot.png

OP
A

aggiechase37

Reaction score
sounds good post above this one , but
the 3m velcro pads that are used for I-pass units would be great
used it for years with ham radio and phones, heat with hair dryer comes right off also when done with it
it's called 3m dual lock but this price is nuts, I ask for them at the toll booths free
Buy "3M" Scotch Dual Lock Reclosablefastners at BuyHardwareSupplies.com

or look at hardware stores

What is this stuff exactly? Is it adhesive? So I can use this with velcro? And how do you get it for free from toll booths? Do I just roll up on a toll booth and say, "gimme some 3M velcro pads" and then give them "the signal?" haha

snowman

Reaction score
yep most toll booths I've been to have it just ask , it's for mounting transponders to windshields, it's great really locks it on but will come off without screwing up the dash-important to me for car and motorcycle.
I use it on the bike all the time.
the guy that said pricey it is much cheaper at wal-mart or hardware store, I did did a quick search to show you the product. make sure it's 3m brand
what is it glue on pads that the glue is excellent but will come off when your done with it , just warm it slightly with a hair dryer,
and it is sorta like velcro that has plastic to plastic locks that hold very well, and won't tear up after it gets aged, try it you will like it.
here is another picture and a bit cheaper-just another search, go to wal-mart
Clear 3M SJ3560 dual lock strips 2 PCS 1"Wx 6"L - eBay (item 300381579626 end time Jan-27-10 09:43:29 PST)

Last edited:

JoeProcopio

Reaction score
Are there any universal mounts you can use with the Droid...which would be cheaper than the verizon mount...that could be modified to fit on your dash...Velcro would look pretty bad on your phone and dash...imho

JoeProcopio

Reaction score
I agree with going with the verizon mount...but can that be mounted on the dash as the OP stated? Don't need a mount with a magnet...can just get the dock runner app...

Silver Member
Reaction score
I agree with going with the verizon mount...but can that be mounted on the dash as the OP stated? Don't need a mount with a magnet...can just get the dock runner app...
mine came with a sticky pad to use instead of the suction cup.