Droid MFLOPS

Discussion in 'Android General Discussions' started by lcpunkrawk, Jun 5, 2010.

1. lcpunkrawk

lcpunkrawk New Member

So I was searching through overclock information the other day and came across someone on another forum asking about the linpack benchmarks for the Moto Droid and how people were getting 30+ megaflops. Everyone assured him that those people were running Froyo with the JIT compiler to get those numbers.

Here's where I'm confused, though: someone said the stock Droid should get around 4 MFLOPS. I'm currently running BBv1.1 with ChevyNo1's 1.2GHz ULV kernel (though most of the time just at 800MHz), and I am getting only ~1.5 MFLOPS. What gives?

Next I decided to try out Jitter and enable JIT, just to see what would happen. It helped...but only up to ~2.5. I pumped SetCPU to 1.2GHz and checked again, but I never reached over ~2.7. Is it possible I'm doing something wrong?

Thanks in advance!
  2. titans

titans Premium Member Rescue Squad Premium Member

1.5 mflops? Are you using linpack to test this?
  3. JCo352

JCo352 New Member

Wow, that's really low, my highest is 16 something. There is someone on these forums that got 50+ MFLOPS, not running Froyo.
  4. lcpunkrawk

lcpunkrawk New Member

Yes I am.

Also, I don't know if it will help any, but the Set CPU benchmarks were giving me:

JIT
    Long: ~3900ms
    Short: ~230ms

JIT off
    Long: ~6900ms
    Short: ~300ms

All at 800MHz

*Edit: mixed up long/short
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2010
  5. titans

Something is wrong with your kernel...grab a new one...1.5 is INSANELY low. I haven't tested mflops in a while, but if I had to guess, a BB running a 1 ghz kernel should get at least a 8.5
  6. lcpunkrawk

lcpunkrawk New Member

Thanks, the kernel was my first guess too.

Unfortunately after just now trying many different kernels (Adamz, Chevy, Bekit, P3Droid) at different voltages, I get no different readings. I'm kind of at a loss...I thought this "speed" was normal. Is there any process that is known to destroy linpack benchmarks? I'm pretty sure I killed all non-essential processes.
  7. rustynail09

rustynail09 New Member

I'm getting 8.1+ on my stock ESE81 ROM with ChevyNo1's UlowV 1.0ghz 7 slot... something is definitely wrong!
  8. titans

Hm...very odd...is your Droid slow? For example, if you are on your home screen, while at 800 mhz, how long does it take for the Droid to pop up the window? And is the pop up animation laggy?
  9. jntdroid

jntdroid DF Super Moderator Premium Member

your setcpu readings are jacked, too... or you flip-flopped the numbers?
  10. lcpunkrawk

lcpunkrawk New Member

Oh whoops...I'll fix that, thanks.
  11. droid420

droid420 New Member

BB V1.1 bekit 1.1ghz kernal and battery at 30% and was getting 8.904 and 8.08 at 1ghz
  12. lcpunkrawk

lcpunkrawk New Member

Pop up animations are only laggy when I use a live wallpaper. They are usually instant when I have one, just low framerate on the animations (like the app flyin for LauncherPro). Otherwise they are instant and smooth.
  13. jntdroid

it's weird - your short bench numbers actually look pretty good, but your long numbers are really high... maybe someone smarter than me can use that to deduce the problem :icon_eek:
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2010
  14. jntdroid

did you have this issue pre-BB1.1?
  15. titans

Yeah I have no idea what's wrong, but if your Droid is fast and smooth, then benchmarks shouldn't matter.
  16. lcpunkrawk

lcpunkrawk New Member

Pre BBv1.1 I was running stock 2.1 with root, and overclocked to 800MHz as well, it was getting half the MFLOPS.

How well do live wallpapers work for everyone else? Do they make the phone lag a little? Not enough to be unusable, but noticeable? I just realize I started overclocking as soon as 2.1 was released, so I don't think I know what it's like on the stock kernel.

I'm hoping it's some app I have running and not my processor, or that linpack is just lying to me... :icon_eek:
  17. jntdroid

titans is right... if it's not noticeably crappy, you're probably fine

if it's even a remotely linear tie between your scores and the feel of your phone, then based on everybody else's scores compared to yours, yours would feel horrible at those scores... so if it feels fine, it probably is... like you said, maybe something is interfering with measuring for the scores

you could always go to the trouble of shooting a quick video of you maneuvering around in your phone, and be told real quick if your phone appears to be running ok or not

and, even overclocked, i don't use live wallpapers as they add just a hint of lag that i don't like when i know what it feels like without that lag :)
  18. lcpunkrawk

lcpunkrawk New Member

Good news everyone! /Farnsworth

I had been running my CPU at 800 max/250 min for the tests. I tried it out at 800/800 and BOOM - 7.5 mflops. Then I tried 1200/1200 and I hit 11. *facepalm* Thanks to everyone who went on this unneccesary wild goose chase trying to help me.

One more quick question though...I had the min set to 250 to save battery, is it worth the performance to move that up? Seeing as I get 1.5 mflops otherwise...I'm guessing so. Any suggestions on your preferences?
  19. titans

Nah keep the min at 250. If you keep it at 1 ghz, it will be forced to work that hard constantly.
  20. Taegost

Taegost New Member

Yeah, keep it lower to save battery. What do you have the governor set to in SetCPU? When I set it to Ondemand, I get slightly lower scores then if I use Performance. Are you using Battery Saver? When I use that, my scores go waayyy down and my phone lags like a mofo
Search tags for this page
droid a855 mflops
mflops for droid pro

motorola droid mflops

p3 mflops