Droid Maxx - sound stops after 2-3 days

RAZRmax

Reaction score
Note: this only started 2 minor upgrades ago. Prior to that, this never happened. I'm on Kitkat 4.4.4.

What happens is that 2-3 days after a restart, all of a sudden no sound plays. For example, my alarm doesn't sound off in the morning and wake me up. No notification sounds.

When I notice this, I'll go try to manually play a sound (using my file explorer). I get an error message "Error: unable to play the selected track" or something similar to that.

This is driving me insane. I can't go on not trusting the phone to wake me up.

And it's not the clock app. I installed another clock app and it does the same thing. Again, after 2 or 3 days I can't even play sounds manually.

I have read that somehow the media index gets f'd up. A reboot reindexes it. Great, but no one should have to reboot a phone every 2 or 3 days. Recall that this never happened until the update just prior to the one I did last week (I was hoping the most recent one would fix this, but it doesn't). There was/is a "reindexing" app on Googleplay that's supposed to do the trick but it won't work on Kitkat.

Help!

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
I don't know if any minor steps to remedy this. My Maxx had this issue too... I did a factory data reset and all is fine now.. Mine was so bad that I'd try to play music and get an error saying file not found.. I got tired of messing with it and did the fdr.. I know it's a pain because of not having an SD card...

Miller6386

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Twitter
CoreyFMiller
I had an Ultra over the summer that did this sort of... On mine the sound would just get cut to about 50%... So at full volume it was only half as loud as it should be... It still showed 100% volume just wasn't.... Mine also was fine after a reboot for a few days.. Sometimes 1 day sometimes a week or more..... As stated above an FDR fixed it. I think it was a hang up with one of the updates I had received also...

OP
R

RAZRmax

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this and found a less-invasive fix (other than a FDR)... that would entail a lot of reloading and reconfiguration that I'd like to avoid.

None of the apps to force the media scan to run seem to work on 4.4 or higher... so I'm looking for other suggestions.

thanks......

OP
R

RAZRmax

Reaction score
Found the solution - the cause is me setting my phone down on my wireless charger, when the battery is below, say, 70% charged (not sure of the specific amount).

The DING that you hear when it starts charging, when the battery is below some percent charged, keeps being broadcast over and over. I think what happens is the sound file gets corrupted by being played repeatedly in short order.